“Hotel Palomar - Fantastic for our Wedding Weekend”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Hotel Palomar - Fantastic for our Wedding Weekend”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I recently got married and my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for our wedding weekend along with our guests. We were very happy with the service the hotel staff provided leading up to the weekend and the service continued to be fantastic throughout the weekend. All of our guests were very happy with the hotel, which made our weekend much easier. The rooms were clean, the food was great, the staff was friendly. We really couldn't have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 October 2010

At this point, it's almost comical how insanely perfect this property is...

I'm not kidding when I say that you can see the staff working to figure out how to say YES to you before you even finish asking the question. I say staff generically because I walk in and the front desk staff genuinely welcomes me, chats away my travel stress and gives me a great room. Not the "great room" every front desk claims as they had you a key to a 2nd floor room near the elevators overlooking a brick wall but a truly great room. I note their names (Victor? Rhonda?) when they call and make sure I'm satisfied and go to sleep.

I need to extend my business trip and DC hotels are (once again) all booked up. A team not only updates me hourly about possible availability, but calls other hotels for me, extends my checkout and sends me in a cab to its sister hotel with the promise that I could come back for further assistance if I was not satisfied with that solution. Not one, but two Genral Managers, have, now joined the effort.

At this point, I've stopped asking for names because I've concluded exceptional is just the way the Palomar does business. Is it management -- Abe, Victor? Who they hire? How they reward employees? Or a parallel universe? I don't know...

I got to the second property (also sold out) and declined the stay because the room was too small --and yes, even though I had no reservation and no options, I still can't help being a picky traveler.

I shouldn't have been surprized that the Palomar's manager called and secured an upgraded room, but I was. Or that champagne was sent to my room for the inconvenience, or that the staff at the sister hotel, The Monaco was just as remarkable -- but again, I was.

Funny thing is, although we all lament about airport security, flying time from the west-cost, etc. at work, we've kind of "discovered" the Palomar and wait to hear about each other's stay. After so many business trips, I guess this is how we travel nerds amuse ourselves.

My colleagues post many more trip reports than I do. But, I'm done writing reviews about the Palomar. I think my time is better spent figuring who this company is and buying stock. They are not only outperforming the market, but putting DC's other "luxury" brands to shame....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Arriving to Washington D.C. by car the experience at Palomar was exceptional from driving up to the front of the hotel and being met by the team and thereafter guided to the reception. The entire team went out of their way to recommend places to dine, things to see and even volunteering opening the pool early on a Saturday morning.

The room was really nice and cozy and free internet always helps the family settle in.

The milk and cookies for the kids was a very nice gesture and is a nice personal touch.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
melbourne
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We picked the Hotel Palomar from the fantastic trip advisor reviews and were not dissapointed. Staff are fantastic and the rooms gorgeous. We had a queen/queen room that was huge and beautifully appointed. We arrived on the night of the AFL Grand Final rematch and not only did the concierge Chris, find us a venue that was showing the game (which was really difficult) but he also came up to our room with beers, pretzels and a soccer ball for our daughter. They couldnt find a regular football!. Such a nice touch. We also really enjoyed the complimentary wine served in the lobby in the evenings. We liked it so much we thought we would never leave. My first choice for a hotel in Washington DC.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Tustin, California
Reviewed 12 October 2010

There is a reason Hotel Palomar is so highly rated -- it was a wonderful experience for our whole family! The friendliness of the staff, in spite of being booked to capacity, was always impeccable. The front desk always took the time to greet our children (8 and 11) warmly, offering them little treats, movies to select, and pointing them to the cold lemonade. Unfortunately on our 2nd night, the hotel had a water pipe break, so there was construction noise until the wee hours of the AM. When I called to inquire about the noise, they explained and apologized -- then to our surprise, the next day, they left an apology fruit basket in our room! Details like this make them a step above. We do not plan another trip to Washington DC for quite some time -- but my kids are already asking when we can stay there again. The location was great -- right in the heart of some wonderful, very diverse eating places -- so close to the Metro -- even with 100 degree heat & humidity -- it was easy & to get around. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I wasn't there long. I arrived on a Sunday night at 1am and checked out at 8am. I did leave my bag for the day and came back to get it Monday evening. This was in early October 2010.

The check in was efficient and quick. At 1am there wasn't much going on. The room was huge and had all the creature comforts one would expect. It was quiet and the king bed was comfortable. The wi-fi was free one I signed up for the hotel's frequent traveler programme.

I found the decor a bit strange, but nothing to worry about. Check out was very fast and pleasant. I was not there long enough to see the business center or fitness center. The location is outstanding, only a couple of blocks from Dupont Circle and its metro station.

When I returned in the evening to fetch my bag, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby was packed with the evening happy hour (complimentary I believe).

My visit, while very short, was comfortable and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I had the pleasure to spend a night at Hotel Palomar this weekend. My husband and I were invited to our good friends wedding and they used the Hotel as their base for all there out of town guests (over 50). The staff was very professional and welcoming from the moment we pulled up to valet park our car. Whatever the management does at this Hotel works very well. We stayed in a beautiful superior suite on the 9th floor of the Hotel. The room was very spacious and extremely clean. What a nice surprise to find a welcome note and a great amenity from the Hotel Manager Abe Liao in our room. I’m part of the loyalty program and somebody actually took the time to look at my preferences and we could not believe it when we noticed that we had our favorite snack and drink waiting in our room up on arrival, wow and thank you.
My huby was one of the ushers and he realized that he forgot his pocket square when getting ready with the rest of the grooms party. The groom decided, a little disappointed, that that all should take the pocket squares out as he didn’t have his. My husband called the front desk and ask the concierge if they possible would have one. They had about everything from ties to cufflinks but not a white pocket square. What happened next is a perfect example of somebody going above and beyond his normal duties. 10 minutes after the call to the front desk somebody knocked at the door of the room were they got ready. It was the manager Abe who delivered the item they requested a few minutes ago. He saved the day and I found later out that he actually left the property to get the pocket square from a Tuxedo rental store in the area, WOW!!!!. Simply exceptional customer service, thank you Hotel Palomar team! The brunch next morning was as perfect as our entire experience.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Kruemel78,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your weekend at the Hotel Palomar DC while being in town to attend a wedding. I appreciate you being a Kimpton InTouch member, and I am glad you enjoyed your welcome amenity and upgraded room accommodations. I have shared your praise with our manager Abe Liao for delivering a white pocket square to your husband.

We look forward to you next visit.

Regards,