“Neat rooms, hope they plan to continue the renovations”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
drgmobile
“Neat rooms, hope they plan to continue the renovations”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at the Washington Plaza for the weekend. It was my second time at the hotel, having stayed there for business in January.

The hotel is fresh off a major renovation of its guest floors. The new furnishings are bright and fun, and while the rooms are on the small side, generally very comfortable. The hotel generally is very good value.

My only criticism is that now that the rooms have been done over, the hotel really should update the lobby and other public areas. And the blue elevator interiors really don't go with anything.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have balconies and appear to be a bit bigger.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank drgmobile
, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We pride ourselves on being a hotel that has something for everyone to enjoy whether on a business or leisure trip, and we are delighted you were satisfied with our accommodations. With our recent renovation all of our guests that stay at our property can enjoy a renovated guest room. Thank you so much for your suggestions; we are always looking for ways to improve our hotel, so guest’s opinions and comments are very important to us. We trust that you have the chance to stay with us again in the near future and we are looking forward to presenting a very warm welcome back experience.

Tom Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Everything was quite ok with the stay, until the last day when we left. The hotel is close to the White House and it has a lot of bakeries and stores around it. The room was clean, although it seemed a bit smallish for 4 people, and they provided free water bottles each day. Our problem came when we left the hotel and, although we had booked a 4 people room and we were 3 persons, we were charged an extra 20 dollars for anybody over 2. The concierge wasn't really helpful and he just tried to get rid of us by saying that you have to pay extra for any hotel in DC if you have more than 2 people. Didn't really buy it, as we were coming from Philly and Chicago were we had the same setup without the extracharge.
In the end, what could have been a good stay, turned out a bit bitter because of the poor reception service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Calaretu
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that everything seemed to be going great with your stay until your challenges with the concierge. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that this issue has caused you. I have spoken to our Front Desk Manager about how we can improve our communication with our guests. If there is anything else you'd like to further discuss about your stay please feel free to contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Our recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel was very pleasant. Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was small, but comfortable. Good WI-FI connection. Underground parking available and the hotel restaurant had good food at reasonable prices. The location was close to public transportation and within walking distance of many of the attractions you are in D.C. to see.

Room Tip: If you have certain requirements, don't hesitate to as the staff.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank relvart
Thank you for choosing to stay at our property and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and the location of the hotel suited your visit to Washington, DC. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our colleagues and the excellent service they provide. We look forward to welcome you back.

Erin, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We arrived, checked in, parked our car in the underground parking, walked 15 minutes to the White House all in under an hour! The staff were very curtious and the complimentary breakfast was excellent. We plan to stay there again next time we are in DC and to recomend it to friends.

Room Tip: Our room was in the front overlooking the square so we had a great view and didn't find it noisy...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, our central location and were able to experience our friendly customer service! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My fiance and I enjoyed this hotel on a quick weekend trip to Washington DC. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance of all the attractions. The hotel staff was so nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and very nice. The valet parking was great as well, even though it is pricey although anywhere in DC is pricey to park. We also enjoyed the happy hour at the bar and free wi-fi. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance as well. We never needed our car of public transportation at all the whole weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for all the great comments you posted about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you and your fiancé had an enjoyable time with us and were happy with your accommodations, the service, and convenience of our hotel for your activities. We hope you have the chance to stay with us again in the near future!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The staff was all over the place, and not in a good way. There was construction, loud at that. It was rainy, a staff member suggested asking the front desk for an umbrella, which I did. He was a jerk about it because I didn't know my room number, I had my key, my ID. Once I came back to the hotel, the umbrella was completely soaked. I asked the door guy where Ishould return the umbrella, he said yes, but i'll get charged for not giving it to the front desk.
Another patron was laughing because it was obviously funny. I took the umbrella to the front desk and they gave me a wierd look, I just told them I was told to bring it up. The next day, they told me I was charged for the umbrella for not returning it.

ARGH!!!

The maids did a great job cleaning, but I did find a huge long hair in the shower. YUCK

There are other hotels that offer more, such as a hot tub, not just an excercise room with 5 pieces of equipment.

Once I walked away from the front desk, they always laughed as I left. It could be anything, my bunzel, my walk, my voice, I get that from my friends, I shouldn't get that from the front desk!!

I rented a movie, it was blurry!!! the tv was in HD, the movie was not, even at that price.

Room Tip: THe beds are heaven. Try to get a NORTH facing room, the construction is loud!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ryan28stl
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience with our Front Desk. We apologize for this experience and we will seek to improve on our service. We strive to make every part of a guest’s stay as comfortable and effortless as possible, and I regret you felt mistreated in any way. Please know that your feedback has been shared with our Front Desk team to ensure situations such as these do not occur again. I hope you choose to return to the Washington Plaza Hotel in the future so that we may restore your faith in our hotel and services.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the week-end to attend a wedding. We arrived at the hotel early not expecting to check in, just to park the car and leave our luggage in a secure area. To our surprise, not only were we able to check in, but we were upgraded to a Superior King room. We had a problem finding a parking spot in the garage, but the staff subsequently helped us to find a space. The room was very nice and the staff was pleasant and friendly. The AAA rate for this hotel was a great value compared to other hotels in the area. Free Wifi, free use of the hotel computers/printers in the business center and free daily Washington Post. Hotel was in a great location and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel and your praise of our hotel. We are pleased your visit reflected the Washington Plaza standard of service we pride ourselves on. We look forward to your next stay with us!