“Great Service, good location”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had layered on 3 days in DC since we were on the East Coast for vacation, and the Washington Plaza seemed to fit the bill in terms of location to the mall, and a cool little neighborhood with plenty of bars and restaurants. Being from L.A., all of our trips tend to focus around walking everywhere and being able to escape being trapped in a car, and as a result, we tend to come back rather haggard from a full day of walking miles upon miles. This did not disuede the staff from treating us with just excellent friendly service. I appreciate thoughtful, efficient, genuine people that are good at what they do.
The room itself was spotless, and the bed was super comfortable. A comfortable bed is like getting free parking in Los Angeles-you don't know how important it is until it doesn't exist. Having plowed through 3 museums in one day and walked all they way home, the air conditioning and comfortable bed made a huge difference in my aching, tired feet. The showers always had hot water and the towels never looked old or dingy. The room was not huge but compared to European standards, it was perfect and I didn't feel like I was going to stub my toe on the wall as I get out of bed. Additionally, one of the other notable interactions I had was the cleaning staff actually giving me a friendly greeting as I was leaving for a day of sightseeing (yes, we left a bit late, but I'm on vacation!). They also supplied us with complimentary bottles of water everyday and a paper. If we go back to DC, I'm definitely staying here. In comparing pricing for centrally located hotels, they are more than fair.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Betticat
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It sounds like we were the perfect fit for your needs and I couldn't be happier to hear it. We pride ourselves on our service standards. Our associates strive to be as courteous and friendly as possible, and I’m glad you were happy with the service they provided. We look forward to your next trip up to DC.

Tom Casey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,754)

Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel was above expectations for the price we paid.
The rooms were clean and spacious. There was free wifi in our room. There was a lovely view through the window, although there was an outside balcony running the length of the hotel. However, as it was Summer, this meant that we could sit outside and enjoy the lovely view while having a quiet refreshing drink away from the bar yet overlooking the pool area.
The outside pool was a resort style pool with bar service around the pool and a lifeguard. There were lots of chaise lounges to sit around the pool.
This hotel was located in Thomas Circle and an easy walk to the White House and the National Mall. Vermont Avenue leads down from Thomas Circle to the White House and there were lots of cafes and places to eat. In fact, The number one listed restaurant with Trip Advisor at the time of our stay was Zentan, which was just across the road from Washington Plaza. With the Plaza having a restaurant and the amount of other eating places around, it meant that we didn't have to walk far at night.
The best feature of this hotel was the great location to everything in a very busy city, yet you felt like you were at a holiday resort and could totally relax at the end of a busy day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I'm so pleased to see that the location of the hotel suited your visit to Washington, DC and you were pleased with your accommodations and services provided. Our outdoor pool is indeed a great place to relax and unwind after a hot day. We look forward to your return to Washington.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

I need a place to stay in DC near the Convention Center and did not want to pay an arm and leg. The Washington Plaza was a bargain. I quick walk to the Convention Center. The central location was a great. Although this is an older hotel, the rooms are well appointed.

On deciding factor was the cost of parking--reasonable. The staff did it for me. They were more than helpful. Although the Washington Plaza was not my first choice, it will be the next time around. Tip, if you are a light sleeper or need a quiet space, ask for a room on the backside of the hotel--the pool chatter and police effects will break the peace.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel and your praise of our hotel. We are pleased your visit reflected the Washington Plaza standard of service we pride ourselves on. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed 4 nights in May. The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance to many of the sites including the White House, mall etc. metro line is fairly close by also to get to other places quickly. From this location, we walked to Library of Congress, White House, Smithsonians, embassy row and other places. I liked the staff. They would always smile and say hi. Everyone from the front desk staff to the bell men to the housekeeping staff were friendly. Rooms were not overly large but adequate and beds were comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jake427
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback on your recent stay at our property. I am excited to hear that you had a great stay and you enjoyed your guestroom and our central location. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our colleagues and the excellent service they provide. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, DC!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Rooms fairly small but everything nice and clean. Friendly staff. Breakfast has good choice but not great value. There are a few reasonable restaurants in walking distance and it's not too far from The White House. The outdoor pool was great to have to relax in but they don't seem to have proper changing facilities to get dressed. You are supposed to have shirt and shoes to go back into the hotel but there's no where outside to get dressed! I went back inside anyway and downstairs to a restroom with a shower located by the gym.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Plaza Hotel. We appreciate your recognition for the hard work of our associates. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful pool. You are correct in that shirt and shoes are required in the hotel lobby and our guests can change in the comfort and privacy of their guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Washington Plaza Hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed here on a recent business trip because of the central location. However, there are better places in DC. The restaurant isn't open for breakfast so you're on your own. A convention was at the hotel and plenty of partying going on. The security guard did take care of it quickly. Front desk staff is a bit disorganized. Some of us got wifi codes and others didn't. Otherwise it was a decent stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CSailor71
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This hotel is located not too far from the monuments and memorials and museums. We walked the first day to the museums (the White House is the closest of all). The next, we went across the street and got on the Hop on Hop off bus for visits to the monuments, memorials, and Arlington Cemetery. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was very good and the wait staff was very attentive. Our room was clean but very small. Our major complaint though was the hotel desk staff and concierge. This is where I would not recommend this hotel.

When we first arrived early we were given the opportunity to check in but in a double room rather than a queen. We figured we wouldn't be able to check in this early but the desk person was trying to persuade us too much to take the double. We declined and asked to have our luggage put in storage, which was no problem. I needed to change first as the weather was much warmer than the Michigan weather was when we left early that morning. When I asked where I could change, I was told there really wasn't a place, but, then was told I could go to the bathroom in the basement. So, I ventured down and it was so small, there was no place to put my suitcase. I went back upstairs and the desk clerk responded he "thought" there was a change room. Then, I did a little looking around and found a bathroom just around the corner from the desk. I went inside and here was a large bathroom where I could easily change. Later, at the restaurant across the lobby I discovered another bathroom just before the restaurant and this one was even larger with an area I could have changed in. I asked him why he hadn't told be about the bathroom just around the corner and he just shrugged. Everytime we would ask the desk staff for info they always responded they didn't really know and to go to the concierge. When we asked the young fella there (hard to take someone seriously when they are sloppily dressed and not confident in their responses) we were not really given good options, especially for a fine dining restaurant. A fine dining restaurant is not a place that has 4 screens to watch sports. We stopped into another hotel nearby and asked there to get referrals!

We bought our bus tickets in the lobby. Well actually it was a down payment to get a ticket then we had to pay the bus the balance. There we several different options and we chose the red line. Another woman was listening while he was explaining the ticket and the next day when we got on the bus, the other lady had the wrong bus ticket. She thought she was getting a ticket like ours but he had given her a totally different ticket. How could that happen whe we purchased them at the same time? They wound up having to get off the bus and get a refund from the hotel because of his mistake. We asked for a 7 a.m. wake up call and we got a 5:21 a.m. call (our room no.) We were NOT happy about this as we were up late the night before and a call 1 1/2 hr before was not appreciated. Oh, and it took forever for someone to answer the phone to make that wakeup call. My hubby just sat on the bed watching tv with the phone to his ear waiting for them to answer!

The hotel desk staff need to be trained on customer service, and they need to learn about their hotel, and the area that surrounds them. We are tourists that have no idea about these things and have to rely on staff for information, not indifference.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank girlinkalamazoo
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such in-depth review regarding your stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our location, your guest room and the restaurant. However, I am very sorry to hear that the guest service provided by our Front Desk and Concierge team was lacking which by no means reflect the level of service that we offer on a daily basis. We constantly strive to provide superior service and memorable experiences to our guests. I will make sure to address your concerns with the appropriate members of our team.

Please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com if you would like to further discuss these issues. Again, we apologize for any inconveniences and we hope that you will give the hotel another chance in the future.