“Great Value & Location!”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #25 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Value & Location!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Hotwire selected this hotel for me since I was in need of a good deal. And it was! It is near other hotels at 3x or more per night. The Washington Plaza offered a spacious, clean and very nice room in a perfect location. It is easy to walk to the White House or the Capital from here. I do not remember taking a cab during my stay. 14th Street and a lot of other neighborhood restaurants are a short walk away as well. I did not have time, but the pool looked big and very nice as well.

Room Tip: It is a habit to request a top floor, but I did not have any problems with a second room floor at th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FredOH69
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for the great comments, especially pointing out our value and location. I'm glad to hear that our location helped you find the time to do some exploring and eating at the abundance of downtown DC restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Tom Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great hotel not far away from White House. Very helpful and friendly staff. Check-in and check-out was fast. Was able to check in early. Reasonably priced about five blocks from the subway. Complimentary WiFi.

1 Thank Anonymous-AV
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Washington Plaza. It was wonderful to read that you found our team helpful and friendly and we were able to accommodate an early check-in. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we all look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Spain
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel together with 3 friends during a big conference. The distance to the convention center is great, just a few blocks, and you are also a few blocks from the White House if you have some free time. We selected the hotel because of the location and the price (cheaper than most other hotels during the conference period) and were surprised by the quality. Here are my notes:

Pros:
- Very big rooms
- Clean (don't take it for granted in many hotels...)
- Great big window yet you can make the room completely dark
- Coffee maker with real mugs
- I liked the bathroom toiletries (I'm a woman)
- everybody was very nice, from check in to opening the front door when we arrived each day to the restaurant

And 3 things that I notice very much being a woman that travels much for work:
- very good lightning in the bathroom (for make up)
- Multiple plugs available around the room for phone/ipad/computer.... (at the desk, small tables...)
- Internet worked very well in the room (and it is free throughout the hotel)

We also ate twice in the restaurant downstairs and found the food very nice. Had the club sandwich, burger, crabcake burger, and some seafood fritters that I can't remember the name for. This is very convenient when there is a snow storm outside!

Cons:
- Noisy road. One of my friends with a room to the back of the hotel didn't hear much external noise so maybe keep this in mind if it is a problem for you (not for me)

Overall:
- Excellent value and will certainly return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank a_cheese_lover
Thank you so much for the 5-star review and detailed feedback! I am delighted to learn that you had such a great stay at the Washington Plaza during your conference. It sounds like our accommodations and location fit your needs perfectly. I was glad to hear that you took advantage of the food and beverage from the Ten Thomas Restaurant and enjoyed our Chef’s delicious meals! We are looking forward to welcome you back for another conference, or more preferably a leisure getaway.

Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The Washington Plaza is one of the best value full service hotels in the center of Washington DC. We searched for a reasonably priced hotel to accommodate visitors coming to the city for a small conference and the Washington Plaza was the best price we could find. I have stayed in Washington DC many times and at $179 (pre-tax) this was a deal.Rooms are comfortable, service is great and the rooms came with free wifi. There is a very nice bar and lounge area where the homemade chips (crisps) served with a beer were most welcome. The only downside to the hotel is that it's placement on the North side of Thomas Circle puts it is a good 10 minutes walk from the nearest Metro station (McPherson Square) so if you have lots of luggage or a meeting to get to across town you may well end up taking a cab.

1 Thank Grassland88
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear that you were happy with our accommodations and service. Thank you for recognizing us as a good value. We take pride in providing a comfortable hospitality experience in the heart of Washington, DC. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here on business in December, 2013. I was in a suite on the 6th floor, and the room was in excellent condition. The suites have a fairly spacious living room with comfy furniture that's in great shape. There's a TV in the living room as well as one in the bedroom, and there are two bathrooms in the room with one being en suite. When the living room doors are closed, the bedroom stays pretty quiet, allowing two people to be on conference calls in the room at once which is a major plus.

The staff is extremely helpful and attentive; best service I've received on any visit to DC in recent memory. The hotel's location is obviously great, right on Thomas Circle, only a couple blocks to the metro.

I didn't eat at the restaurant, but colleagues have and found it quite good. Definitely recommended for business travel, and would probably be great for tourists as well given the proximity to the metro and some great restaurants and bars on 14th st.

2 Thank Adam R
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am thrilled to know our hotel and team made such a favorable impression on you. We strive to make our business and leisure guests equally comfortable, and I am pleased you recognized and appreciated both aspects of our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to the Washington Plaza.

Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

A reasonable hotel 5 blocks from the White House so good for the average tourist.
It is situated on a busy roundabout so it can be noisy if you get a room on that side of the building.
Breakfast is a buffet style or to order. The buffet style is good in both standard and price - with a chef available to cook your style of eggs, omelettes etc.
Rooms are a good size as is the bath room and are kept clean and tidy.
Most of the tourist attractions are within walking distance although there is a metro station within a block. If you are going to the Verizon Centre for an event this is also within walking distance

Room Tip: make sure your room is not on Thomas circle side of building
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ColinDCwmbran_Wales
Thank you for your honest review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the breakfast from the Ten Thomas Restaurant. I see that you experienced some issues with outside noise, and I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. We are located in a central area in a very active city. However, it is very important to us that you are comfortable during your stay, and perhaps during your next visit we can find a room better suited to your needs. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Millport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for five nights on our sightseeing trip from Scotland the Washington Plaza was an excellent base for our stay . The staff were very helpful and keen to help . Value for money was great . We would certainly stay there again if we are lucky enough to return to this great city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front . Ours had no view but we were out ALL day
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline W
Thank you so much for the 5-star review! I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your trip to Washington, DC. It’s wonderful to hear that our hotel and team made such a favorable impression on you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!