“Great brunch”

Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

So, my review is not for the hotel rooms, but for the restaurant. I went to their brunch (a new thing for them) on March 30th, and it was great. I love the idea of doing a mix of buffet and passed food items. The food was tasty. The dessert buffet for the lunch was amazing - especially the panna cotta and the doughnut holes. Oh my goodness, those homemade doughnut holes - I could make a meal on those alone.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your great comments regarding our new Sunday Brunch Buffet that recently debuted at 10 Thomas Restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great experience and glad you enjoyed our Chef’s delicious items. I must agree that the dessert buffet is amazing. My personal favorite is the crepe station. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Tom Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greensburg, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I didn't run into the problems other reviewers did at the Plaza. Room was nicely updated, large and clean. Bed was super comfy and my room was perfectly quiet. AC worked fine too. My only complaint was the internet connection was very slow later in the evening (google maps wouldn't even load). The hotel is in a decent location - about a 15 minute walk from the mall - I was lucky enough to be there for the cherry blossoms. Driving in and out was pretty convenient too - although not the cherry blossom traffic. Still prefer my other go-to hotel in DC (Hilton Garden around H street), but if the price was right, I'd stay in the Plaza again and would definitely recommend it to colleagues.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor, not facing the pool and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your comments on your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m glad that you found our hotel convenient for your needs, and that your accommodations were satisfactory. I apologize for the slow WiFi connection during your stay. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Three Springs, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed 2 days for the Cherry Blossom, which I highly recommend. The staff were very friendly, never meet a mean or rude person. Our room was nice and clean, but the noise of sirens were unreal. Our last night some people decided to party on balcony below or above us until the wee morning, which was very unpleasant. Informed the front desk upon leaving that we should have taken our pillows and blanket out to the front sidewalk because of the noise that's where we thought we were sleeping. She gave us her business card and apologized for our stay and stated she would upgrade up the next time. I will try this hotel one more time just because of the staff. They really made you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the front.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigbirdbard
Thank you for your recent stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am pleased to hear you were so impressed with our friendly team. My apologies for the neighboring noise you experienced. As with most busy hotels, noise disturbance from other guests can cause problems. It is rewarding to know our Front Desk team tried to make it up to you before you departed. We look forward to your return visit!

Statesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Arrived to find we had been upgraded to a king room-the room was huge. They left water each day.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful.The Metro is a 10-12 min. walk, but there were many close restaurants. The internet worked well and was free. You can conveniently self- park in the basement for $25 a day(there is NO free parking in DC). Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kagatlin
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found our team extremely friendly and helpful. It’s great to know that they were able to give you a complimentary upgrade to a King room. We are all looking forward to welcome you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Was staying in this hotel in december 2013 just few days before Christmas. It was a business trip. Had a good rest after long flight from London. Rooms are bright and clean. I loved the bathroom and wardrobe. Very comfortable stay. Business Centre is always opened and you can find wifi for free which is rare for other cities in US. Breakfast was delicious. Location is perfect to reach everything you came for. Shop 24 hours downstairs where you can find anything you need (medicine, food, drinks, make up, sim card). Felt upset to leave the hotel after 2 nights of my stay. Staff is very friendly and helpful

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Anastasia M
Thank you so much for the 5-star review! I’m delighted to hear you had such a comfortable stay at our property. I’m glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and the breakfast from 10 Thomas Restaurant. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Dorset, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Maybe we'd been spoiled having come from The Sheraton in Chicago but this hotel was a bit lacking.
On arrival my work colleague was told he had no room reserved and that he should call his travel agent (it was 23h in the UK).
Another staff member heard and sorted this for us.
Previous reviews have said how noisy the rooms are and were right. Deafening air-con. I can sleep through most things but not that! I had to crank the window open and was woken by the sirens instead!
My bed was squeaky, every time I rolled over it's like a violin tuned up and my coffee maker didn't work.
The swimming pool was a building site, but, as a work colleague (from DC) pointed out, this hotel is known locally as not being renovated for a long time.
Great location however, the bars, restaurants and cafés just down from us on 14th were amazing, try Church Key if you like your real ales!
In my opinion, the hotel has a funny atmosphere. The staff are bordering on rude but not in a malicious way, more of a lack of training way.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you weren’t delighted with our property. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

What a pleasant surprise! Honestly I was a bit apprehensive booking a rez here as I remember the state of the property years and years ago. The hotel was convenient to where I needed to be, so I took a chance. What a treat to self park underneath and walk wherever. Check-in was easy and uncomplicated as was checkout.

I've been a fan of the architect (Morris Lapidus) and stayed at many other hotels he designed. The WP has been restored to a hip, modern - dare I say - swanky hotel, with a Mad Men vibe. My room was uber clean and overlooked the pool and Thomas Circle. The room was smallish, but if you're gonna stay in your room, that's your problem. The bed was comfy with decent linens and good HVAC. Here's a little touch that made me smile - 2 packs of caffeinated coffee in the room. Even 5 star hotels give you only one! Plenty of coffee and a strong hot shower make me happy for the day.

So yes, I'll be returning.

Room Tip: Ask to face the circle. Lower floors have small balconies. Avoid rooms beside the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bucky1958
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at the Washington Plaza. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like our accommodations and service all exceeded your expectations and I couldn’t be happier to hear it! We look forward to welcome you back to our property in the near future!