“Washington Plaza” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Montgomery, Alabama
“Washington Plaza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here in May 2014. We had a Superior Queen room with balcony. Room/bed/bathroom was very clean. View of the Thomas Circle from the balcony was wonderful, especially in the night. But the balcony had a solid wall and we could not see anything other than the sky when seated in the chairs. Location of the hotel is very good - the nearest metro station is only a few minutes walk. Although it was not a problem for us, I agree with some of the earlier reviewers that the front desk people are not the best at customer service. The bartenders at the international bar were very nice, efficient and friendly though. We had dinner at the restaurant one night. I recommend avoiding it.

2 Thank SECON2014
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. Firstly, I appreciate your kind words regarding your accommodations and I’m glad you enjoyed the view from your balcony. However, I am sorry to hear you found our service lacking in certain areas. I welcome you to contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com to further discuss your concerns.

Tom Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halle, België
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I loved this hotel. I was very pleased. We had a room with a street + pool view.
There was parking available in the hotel (underground parking). Staff was friendly and helpful. You can't have a better location than this hotel. Near every historical sites. Close to the White House (5 min walk). Stayed here for one night in june 2012.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessydp
Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time at our property and you were happy with your accommodations, the service, and our convenient location. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Saint Robert, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I echo some earlier reviews which cited disappointment over the quality of stays at the Washington Plaza, whilst an otherwise ordinarily pleasant stay we had three main gripes:

1. The Reception Staff seemed pretty uninterested in our initial welcome brief and in answering subsequent questions. Whilst not rude, there was little value added and we had to persist to get the basic information we were after. In contrast, the door staff / porters were very helpful and worth their 'service' tips.

2. Of a more serious note, whilst our room was generally clean, we found a dropped sewing needle, safety pin and a clothes pin in various parts of our room. Notwithstanding the risk to us as we walked in bare feet, these items were found by our 9 month old baby - crawling and we assumed the room would be generally safe and clean to allow him to do this - who was seconds away from biting down on the aforementioned items. Not good, but it is in our nature to allow for unintentional slips in standards and we thought we would just mention it at the front desk - what made the matter worse was the complete lack of interest or indeed care from the previously highlighted front desk staff.

3. Lastly, we asked for our luggage to be stored for the day and upon collection, various pieces were scuffed with white paint. Nothing that a bit of white spirit won't take care of, but probably indicative of the general lack of care and interest that we felt certain members of this hotel's staff exuded. They survived an 8 hour transatlantic flight in better condition than a few hours sat in a luggage room.

Overall: generally disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris B
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m saddened to hear of your disappointment with the service you received at our hotel. I’m sorry that you didn't connect with our Front Desk team and that your room was not up to our cleanliness standards. I sincerely apologize for this experience and we will seek to improve on our service. I welcome you to contact me at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com to further discuss your concerns.

Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were pleased with our experience at this hotel. We had a promotional rate that included breakfast and parking. The parking was very convenient and breakfast was good with a large variety of items. Our room was upgraded to a king with a balcony. The room was very clean and obviously updated. The bathroom was clean but not as updated. The location was very convenient to our activities. This hotel was an great bargain for the cost. We would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Patricia P
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you so much for the 5-star review! I’m delighted to learn that you had a great experience at our hotel and found our location convenient to your activities. It’s great to know that we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade to a King room. We are all looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We have just spent eight nights at this hotel while attending a Conference. The Hotel is exceptionally well run. The front desk is so helpful. The rooms are modern and spotless. Housekeeping is excellent. The Room was spacious and the separate toilet is really wonderful. The quality of the towels and linen must be mentioned. This is a first rate Hotel. The free wi-fi is a bonus with unlimited device access.

The walk to the Conference Centre is less than 10 minutes. We will certainly make use of the hotel in future

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Thomas Circle.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gavin K
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your recent conference. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your eight-night stay at our property and found our hotel operations to be run exceptionally well. Thank you for the compliments on our Front Desk and Housekeeping team. They will surely be delighted when they see this comment. We look forward to welcoming you back for another conference, or a leisure getaway.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I must say, my visit to the Washington Plaza Hotel was disappointing to say the east. The reviews and pictures of the hotel appeared to suggest a good hotel. However from my arrival i was repeatedly didappointed. The reception staff were the first issue. My arrival seemed to be a great inconvienience to them and while they were not rude, they certainly were not friendly or welcoming. They could do with taking a leaf out of the doormen's book who were at all time coureous and helpful. When i was checking out, i had a question abou the tax on the room. The reception staff spoke to me as if i was completely stupid to ask such a question! The hotel had free wifi but it was very slow. The room itself was very large and spotlessly clean but the noise forom the rooms next door and the street was terrible. The pool was one of the main reasons i booked this hotel, again i was disappointed to find that the pool is only open at certain times of the year. Overall this hotel could be greatly improved with a little sound profing and customer service training for the front desk!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sk999
Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Plaza Hotel. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience with our Front Desk team. We strive to make every part of a guest’s stay as comfortable and effortless as possible, and I regret you felt mistreated in any way. I sincerely apologize for this experience and we will seek to improve on our service. Again, I regret that we disappointed you and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com.

Lake City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed at the Washington Plaza for five nights. Our 7th floor room had a large window that overlooked Thomas Circle. The bathroom was spacious and had the shower and commode in a separate room from the lavatory and closet. This room was clean and bottles of water were delivered each evening by housekeeping. There is a refrigerator in the room and a safe. The bed was comfortable and had a firm mattress. The pillows were the usual hotel pillows. The nearest Metro is a ten minute walk. The hotel staff was helpful and courteous. The only suggestion for improvement is with the wait staff. We ate breakfast in the dining room five mornings. One waiter was stand-offish , while the others were inattentive and/or slow. My husband selected the buffet each morning but I ordered from the menu. He often was almost done with his meal when I received my order of toast. Yes, that is all I eat in the morning. I had to flag down my waiters for a refill on coffee three of the five mornings. We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Even at a higher floor the sirens and honking of cars will wake you up in the wee hours of the night...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay and you would stay with us again in the future! I’m glad that you found your guestroom clean and well-appointed and your bed comfortable. However, I was disappointed to hear about the slow service you received at 10 Thomas Restaurant. I will certainly address your concerns with our Director of Outlets immediately to ensure situations such as these do not occur again. I sincerely hope you return to the Washington Plaza Hotel in the future so that we may improve upon your impression of our services.