“Terrific Experience”

Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Brooklyn, New York
“Terrific Experience”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We drove down to DC to see friends in from Seattle, for the weekend. I looked at various sites and this hotel kept popping up. So, booked it and I was glad I did. Our room was a king with a small balcony overlooking a terrific pool. Too bad I couldn't lounge there for a few hours, our friends were on a mission to see the sites. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms across from the elevators have the pool view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear that you were so pleased with your accommodations. I hope you will come back and take some time to relax by the pool on your next visit. We would be happy to welcome you again!

Tom Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staff was superb and were more than helpful, professional, and personable. Only in upscale hotels, do you get your bed turned down, decorative pillows removed, and ice in the ice bucket...was I impressed when I found this marvelous service at the Washington Plaza. I had long time stopped expecting such personal services. This hotel is centrally located, and within walking distance of many DC attractions. I will be back; next time for a relaxing weekend, not a sightseeing expedition.

Well done Washington Plaza....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for the 5-star review! I’m delighted to hear you had such a great stay and our hotel, location and service all exceeded your expectations. Please come back and see us again soon!

Philly
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I didn't pick this place. It was picked by relatives for a family reunion. Apparently someone had stayed here before and liked it. The hotel claims to have bedroom suites but the Web site sure didn't advertise them. I first attempted to register through our reunion Web site and couldn't access the suites, then went directly to the hotel Web site and still couldn't access the suite reservation. I gave up. I shouldn't have given up, my boys don't like to sleep together. For some reason, I figured they'd make us comfortable It was just me and two children, ages 10 and 12 so I figured they'd know how to accommodate us, but I was wrong. My two boys had to share a bed, which wasn't good but it was just for two nights so I thought they'd get through it...which they did. The 12 year old actually wanted to sleep on the floor with pillows and a blanket but there wasn't enough room for him to do that. So the room was inadequate for the kids. Let's go to the pool because I watched the local news and found out that Saturday wasn't going to be a good pool day due to weather (rain and thunder and lightening) the next day.

I do want to mention that the lifeguard wasn't very interested in who was in the pool. She spent a lot of time on her phone and then conversing with someone while she was on duty so I kept my focus on the many children (many of whom couldn't swim) in the pool. Also, why does a hotel of this size not have an indoor pool in DC for folks who swim for exercise? I don't know if they had an exercise room because I'm not a fitness freak, but I do like to take a few laps if it's available. I don't want to have to dodge a bunch of kids playing pool hockey nor do I want to swim in the rain or thunderstorm.

The restaurant was deserted when we arrived at about 5 pm for supper. The greeters were hiding under the welcome desk and claimed they were "watching tv" and popped up when we walked in, they actually startled us. The restaurant was deserted which concerned me. The menu was a bit pretentious...nothing for children but when we were about to leave, they produced a children's menu that was fantastic. The items on the children's menu should be what they offer all guests. The food was good but there was way too much of it for an entree. Even my biggest eater couldn't finish the plate, but the kid's meals were reasonable. I paid $22 for a good ribeye but the sides left something to be desired...looked like two boiled potatoes and some grilled scallions...yuck! Ok, if you're going to have a great steak, make it with grilled or even fried onions and some edible potatoes. At least the steak was med-rare as I requested. The steak was great but the sides sucked. I also ordered two apps and they were good, but the calamari was a little overcooked but edible.

On to another experience, I asked the bellman if there were any attractions that we could walk to and he had no clue....wait, WHAT? Someone should know what's in walking distance at a hotel right? I am not a concierge and I don't expect the bellman to be one, but you should have someone at a hotel that can tell you where to go for free time, right? Does anyone else expect that? You are in a strange city with nothing to do, the hotel staff should be able to steer you somewhere. So, we did a 360 around the block and only spotted a gas station to get snacks and went back to our room. Thankfully, beside Friday supper and Saturday breakfast, our reunion organizers had our meals planned.

Ok, next, we'd been away from our room from 7 am to about 2:30 pm and there was no activity from housekeeping. Once we'd gone back to our room to maybe relax and take naps, the housekeeping crew showed up so we went back to the lobby to hang out until they were done. If any of you have ever stayed at a hotel, you know you don't want to be there when the housekeeping crew works. But, to advocate on their side, I didn't notice that the "do not disturb" door hanger that I am used to is actually a note to housekeeping to "make up this room now" hanger on the day that we checked out. I actually feel bad that I didn't leave a tip for the housekeeping crew. Actually, the crew brought us two bottles of spring water nightly. (I am sending $20 to the hotel for the housekeeping crew now and I hope they get it, because none of this was their fault).

The bathroom was nicely stocked but it's a wash room separate from the shower and toilet but when you shower or bathe in the bathroom, the steam affects the wash room and there's no vent or anything so the walls weep with the steam.

I also want to note that the bellmen were extremely courteous and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel for folks that are traveling alone, but not for families with children.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I will review your feedback in detail with our team and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that our service continues to improve. If you would like to further comment on your experience, please contact me directly at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We spent one night. The room was perfect and the service impeccable. The valets were courteous and always on top of things. The pool looked nice and clean. The bartender was so nice and friendly. We will be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for the compliments, direct and to the point. I appreciate that you would take the time to share your thoughts with us and we all look forward to welcome you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stunning hotel, very clean and staff could not be more helpful. And only about a 15 min walk to the White House. If you planning on doing the sightseeing bus, it stops right near the hotel at certain times of the day. Great value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! I appreciate your great comments, especially pointing out our location and value. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is very well kept and clean. After spending most of the day travelling around the city it was nice to come back every night for a turn-down service, water and ice waiting for me. It sure made the hot temperatures easier to handle. The location of the hotel is great - about 5 min walk ot the metro. So many good restaurants in the area and attractions are close as well. The only reason I didn't give a 5 is I hate having to live out of my suitcase so a dresser would have been nice in the room however there was a mini-fridge so it's a trade off I suppose. Pool looked great - didn't go in though.

Room Tip: The higher the better but no matter what you'll hear sirens and heliocopters
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Shaba84
Thank you for posting your comments on your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m glad that you found our hotel convenient for your needs, and that your accommodations were satisfactory. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were very happy with our stay at this hotel. It also has great pool and deck. For the location you can't beat the price. The hotel is 1 mile directly north of the National Mall and the subway is halfway between. About 3 blocks north west is Whole Foods and numerous other restaurants. The rooms have a small fridge so we were able to buy food at Whole Foods and save some money on dining. For a Wednesday through Sunday, rates ranged from $192 to $107 respectively, averaging to $136/nt. Nobody can complain about this hotel for great rates like that. If you're expecting anything nicer, then you're probably accustomed to a $300 - $500 per night hotel.

Room Tip: Lower rooms have a balcony which is a nice feature at the end of the day.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mauiman00
Thank you for the 5-star review! I was delighted to hear our accommodations and location fit your needs perfectly. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our great value and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, DC!