“Great pool area”

Washington Plaza Hotel
Ranked #28 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Pool area and pool staff is great, the concierge staff was excellent. The superior room we booked was a small room, packed with 2 small beds.
The Front desk took an extra VISA authorization of the value of USD 100, but this is not enough if you both plan to park in the garage and order something from the restaurant/ pool bar. When they tried to withdrawal USD130, the transaction got denied. They told me my credit card was not valid. I called VISA (VISA NORWAY), and they told me the reason for this transaction got denied was due to they only made an authorization for USD 100. When they try to make an withdrawal for more than USD100, they have to make a new authorization. I told the front desk this, but I got the impression they did not belive me (She actually said what I was telling her was incorrect). We actually had plans to stay for an extra night, but due to service provided by the Front Desk staff, I gladly checked out and went for our next destination.
If you'd like to stay at this hotel with a great pool area, make sure the hotel makes enough depoist before you check in, this way you will avoid the unexpected stress when you think there's
something wrong with you're credit card.
Hopefully, the Front Desk staff will get better trained and service minded, because as I said the pool staff, concierge and even housekeeping staff was excellent. I still use the "not valid" credit card at Marriott without problems :)

1  Thank RegularHotelVisitor1
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Plaza Hotel. Firstly, I appreciate your recognition for the hard work and diligence of our concierge and pool area associates, as well as our Housekeeping Department. However, I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience with our Front Desk. We strive to make every part of a guest’s stay as comfortable and effortless as possible, and I regret you felt stressed in any way. Please know that your feedback has been shared with our Front Desk team to ensure situations such as these will be better handled in the future. I hope you choose to return to the Washington Plaza in the future so that we may improve upon your impression of our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Washington Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I travel to DC two or three times a year and I keep booking -and enjoying- this hotel. The location is great, within walking distance from many landmarks and places of business and near shopping areas, restaurants and nightlife spots.

The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool, which is lively but never too crowded. Anyone who has spent a hot, humid summer day in Washington, DC will understand how great this feature is -if you are traveling with children this is a lifesaver.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and include a mini fridge, which is great if you are staying for a few days and want to keep some basics in your room (there is a CVS across the street and Whole Foods a couple of blocks away). As for the noise level, it comes mostly from traffic and average for a city hotel.

The staff is very friendly and quite helpful.

I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DariaMc99

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. I’m delighted to know that our convenient location, comfortable accommodations and friendly team keep you returning to our hotel each time you are in Washington, DC. We look forward to your next visit to the Washington Plaza Hotel so that you may enjoy another stay with us!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

On our way home to South Africa we decided to stay over in Washington & chose that hotel. The location to the Smithsonian and all the other things we wanted to see was very convenient. The hotel was clean and very welcoming. A good choice on our part, and was good value

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location and glad to hear that you experienced our warm hospitality during your visit. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We picked this hotel primarily for having a pool as the predicted temperatures were in the high 80's. What a fab choice! The people are fab the pool is clean and open 9-9 and the rooms are cleaned every day. We walked to the White House and had everything we needed close to hand. Staff were fab. Excellent value for money. Thoroughly recommend it.

5  Thank JacxRoyston
WPManagement, General Manager at Washington Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our team fabulous! We are all looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Lovely hotel in a great location. Easy walk to the White House and all the museums on The Mall. I recommend The West Wing Cafe across the road for breakfast or the frozen yogurt on a hot day. Also if you are staying over on a Sunday, definitely go for brunch in the hotel restaurant. Delicious and plentiful. The chef on the carvery was knowledgeable, efficient and helpful - shame the same couldn't be said for his colleague who was supposed to be cooking the omelettes! She was the rudest, grumpiest and most unhelpful member of staff I have ever encountered in America. I'm not sure if she had woken up on the wrong side of the bed or if she simply hated her job, but she makes the guests feel uncomfortable and really lets the hotel down.

Our room was smaller than we usually get in the USA but ample for what we needed (I appreciated the extra dressing area and iron/iron board supplied as standard). Nice pool with plenty of loungers and a bar with lovely cocktails. The only negative would be that the pool officially didn't open until 9am, but in practice was even later than this as the life guards were always cleaning it at this time so it was more like 9.30am. Would have been nice to have a swim first thing in the morning before setting off on our sightseeing.

All the staff on the door, reception and bar were polite and efficient. Special mention has to go to Larry who is incredibly helpful and friendly, a great person to welcome you to the hotel.
We will definitely return to this hotel when next in Washington.

2  Thank GillG767

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with your accommodations and services provided. But I was disappointed to learn about the issues that you encountered in the restaurant, which by no means reflect the level of service that we strive for on a daily basis. I will certainly address your concerns with our Director of Outlets immediately. I apologize for this experience and we will seek to improve on our service. I welcome you to reach out to me at generalmanager@washingtonplazahotel.com if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel location is good but it is type of City hotel with small room and seems overcharge for 220 bugs a night. The service is OK. There is no complain but we may find the better choice around this area. The Summer it pretty crowded here with so many noisy Chinese people. I don't mean any thing but it is only my personal idea.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived mid July for 5 days of conference, followed by 4 days of pleasure.
I believe the hotel is best suited as a Business hotel. Very nice to relax at the pool after a day of work. The Hotel is located close to very nice restaurants, and walking distance to very much of the city. The breakfast buffet was ok, good quality on the food. Not much of a selection, but the chef making eggs and omelette, made my morning. Haven't tried lunch or dinner.
50 percent of the personnel was good, but the rest didn't seemed to like it there.
Beds were good. Bathroom were clean, but need some upgrading.
Nice and clean Hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Abrandal

Thank you for your review of the Washington Plaza Hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel, so guests’ opinions are important to us. Please know that we strive to make our business and leisure guests equally comfortable. I’m glad to learn that overall, you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our pool and the Breakfast Buffet at the 10 Thomas Restaurant. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.