“Great Historic Property”

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #66 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel on business. The hotel is very beauitful with lots of history to it. There are many historic markers throughout the hotel that shares it heritage and historical signifance.

The hotel is very conveniently located adjacent to the Farragut North Metro Station, so a very easy commute to downtown attractions and business settings.

Room service options are good with great service and quality. Very quick turnaround on orders too.

As with most historic properties, the rooms can be small to large. But that is all part of the charm. This was my first visit to this property and I stayed on the 7th floor. The room was a little small, but very doable for a quick business trip. It was very clean and well maintained.

The one improvement I would recommend for this property is to have a safe available in the guest rooms. My room did not have one, so I found myself having to take all of my electronics with me each day to my meetings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,648)

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed here recently on a date night out with my girlfriend and had a lovely experience. I
arrived before the standard sort of check in time of 3pm but was still given a room, thankfully. Not only that, but I was treated with such kindness and warmth, that I was actually taken aback. Aisha at the front desk and Azi, the concierge, were absolutely wonderful and accomodating 100% of the time. I felt very well taken care of the whole time. Serious credit must be given to them. The room I was given was... well, huge, actually. It was actually pretty amazing. And I must say to the credit of housekeeping; it was spotless and perfectly clean. Not a hair on the bathroom floor; not a stain on the carpet and not a smudge on the mirrors. Apparently this is a hotel where employees not only do their jobs well, but enjoy what they do (the latter improves a guest's stay exponentially). Fantastic. After awhile, and a couple of drinks in the bar/restaurant downstairs (Edgar), I was in need of a puff outside. Fernando in valet was excellent about hunting down some matches for me. Much appreciated, sir. They are also one of the only locations I've stayed at where they give you a courtesy call afterwords to make sure that you're satisfied with the room and so forth. An extra step that's well worth the effort. The decor of the rooms is more classic rather than anything super modern or whatnot. It's nice though. It was classic, but not worn out looking; which is an important distinction with that sort of design/decor style. The beds are comfortable, also. The next morning, we went to the club lounge for breakfast. The variety was good and the quality wasn't bad at all. Check-out was quick and easy. I just called from the room and that was that. Anyhow... I would love to come back sometime. For history, it is rich. For location, it's excellent. For staff, if's wondeful. For looks, it's beautiful and for quality, it's fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My office is in the neighborhood where the Mayflower is located. I have had lunch there many times and attended midday and evening events there, but have never stayed in the hotel overnight. This week I decided to give it a try as I had a late night work dinner.

Check in was swift. I requested a room on the floor with the club lounge, but only dropped by it for few minutes. It was spacious and well supplied, but none of the drinks appeared to be complimentary. My room was a king facing the 17th Street side of the hotel ( The Mayflower is a block long between Connecticut and 17th Street). It was nicely furnished and comfortable. However, it had an old style heat & a/c unit that was very loud. Also, the 17th Street side brings a lot of traffic noise into the room in the morning. I was up before 7am, but the noise was pretty constant until I left about 8:30am.

The rate was a bit high for a weeknight at $289, but the Mayflower is in a good location for business and seeing DC attractions. I am certain that they draw a steady flow of domestic and international travelers whom it appeals to.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing 17th Street. The morning rush hour traffic noise is loud.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at the Mayflower Renaissance Hotel. We are thankful for the opportunity to understand what you enjoyed about your stay and where we have room for improvement. We are always trying to find ways to minimize the impact on our guests. Thank you again for allowing us to read about your experience and if you return please let us know so that we may try to accommodate you in one of the quieter areas of our hotel.

darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have stayed at the Mayflower a number of times, most recently for a conference two weeks ago where there were a few minor issues. After constructive conversations with the hotel, I have to say that my stay this time was outstanding. The issues were corrected in spades. Was taken care of and treated royally. So it pays to provide some constructive feedback and allow the hotel to get it right, and boy did they get it right. The hotel is a grande dame of DC. Nice fitness room. Good concierge lounge. Beautiful building that is old and elegant. Would definitely come back and looking forward my next stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We are delighted that you were so kind to give us another opportunity. We hope you enjoyed your trip to Washington, DC and will hopefully see you again soon!

darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Spent a weekend here with my wife. Beautiful hotel. But service was spotty. The concierge lounge was closed Friday night even though the front desk said it was open. On Saturday it was open until 3, but a visit at 2:30 showed no snacks and the staff was vacuuming and making so much noise I just left. We had a nice coffee service in the room but the creamers were so old they were rancid. The coffee service was not refreshed, either. There was no turn-down service and no newspaper delivery to the room. The Grand Hyatt in DC does all these things well. Overall, I was disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

We appreciate the opportunity to understand what you enjoyed about your stay at The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel, but also areas where we have opportunity to make improvements. We will share your feedback with our various managers and hope this will not prevent you from staying with us again in the future. I would like to further discuss your turndown and newspaper requests. Can you please email me at darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com? We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

The Mayflower Renaissance Hotel

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Mayflower Renaissance had a friendly staff and good service. We were welcomed warmly when we arrived and the valet parking was a great help given how confusing the streets are in the heart of D.C. I recommend leaving your car in the lot and using the metro since there is a metro stop close to the hotel and you can get anywhere in the city using the system. The views from the hotel are wonderful and the staff are helpful and courteous. The rooms are fairly small for the price, but that is to be expected in the middle of the city. The restaurant was overpriced for the quality of the food, but given the excellent location you will have no trouble finding plenty of options to suit your palate in walking distance. Overall, my family of four had a very nice experience here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lori U
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Excellent value for money with a deal from Lastminute.com. The free breakfast was superb. The location is great for the White House, museums and Lincoln memorial etc.. A minor negative would be that the beds could do with being slightly larger.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family