“Large clean rooms”

Ranked #60 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Los Angeles
“Large clean rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a grand old hotel that is a little worn around the edges. That being said, the rooms are clean and spacious (easily big enough for a rollaway), the staff is helpful (except for a couple of the older bellhops), and the location is great right near a Metro stop and within walking distance of most important sites in DC. You probably don't want to come with a car, though, as the daily parking charges are astronomical. Keep your eyes out for deals on rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rsmith90211

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Mayflower offers the best location to all the things that I want to see and do in Washington, while traveling with my Shiba Inu...

I was here for Easter Weekend to visit my brother who is attending George Washington University - it was perfect as the hotel is within walking distance. We walked everywhere from here to the Tidal Basin and Monuments - even my dog didn't complain. We walked to The White House daily for our morning walk and really enjoyed the neighborhood - National Geographic is across the street as well. Farragut Square is only 2 blocks away and always has yummy food trucks at lunch time. There are also 2 metro stations within 2-3 blocks.

I was very impressed with the hotel's level of customer service - We arrived well before check in time and was not expecting for our room to be ready at all; however, Chelsea at the Front Desk made it happen for me. She was professional and very nice. Everyone I encountered with during my 4-day stay went above what was expected - from housekeeping to bell desk to the restaurant.

I loved the public areas of the hotel - everything was so clean and well-maintained - walking into the lobby makes you feel like you just stepped back in time to the Gilded Age. The mezzanine lounge is also a great waiting area complete with flat-screen TVs and work stations overlooking the expansive reception.

My room was spacious and very quiet - it had everything that I needed for a comfortable and well-rested stay. My only wish was that the bar/fridge was fully stocked - it would've been nice to have the option of buying snacks or drinks in my room :(

I will definitely consider staying here again the next time I am in DC!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LJ M
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference. The hotel did a fantastic job supporting our conference, however, a small complaint was the noise made by the staff in the back access hallways during the speakers was a bit rude. But otherwise, the rooms were delightful, the staff was wonderful! I so enjoyed talking to them the week I was there, from the breakfast staff to Edgars bartender at night. Each one was delightful, the hotel beautiful and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Loved this Hotel ! Great location...5 blocks from the White House....rode our bikes all around DC from here.
The Hotel is very nice, Beautiful lobby. Friendly and helpful staff. Great rooms. Spacious.
There for Memorial Day weekend and to celebrate a Birthday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was here for a black tie event and also spent the night in one of the beautiful two room suites. The hotel is in a very centrally located location in downtown Washington, DC, and offers a wonderful art deco experience with a great restaurant (although service in the restaurant could have been a little quicker - had to wait a little long for my drink!). The room was amazingly comfortable with all sorts of amenities. In fact, I nicked myself shaving and a quick phone call down to the front desk sent a hotel employee up to my room with a couple of band-aids and neosporane ointment. How's that for service?

Room Tip: As to be upgraded to one of the suites - there are a lot of them!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I checked into this hotel after I booked it a few months in advance and I was told the hotel was overbooked and they sent me to the Omni. I was disappointed because this other hotel was 2 miles away and I could not walk across the street to my office. However, the Mayflower was accommodating and they did not charge me for that night and gave me a suite for the rest of our stay. I did see the regular rooms though and they were very small. The hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to the White House and all the Monuments and Dupont Circle. I also walked a few miles to Georgetown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have the pleasure of staying at the Mayflower in DC each January for a professional organization conference. We have been using the Mayflower for this conference for over 15 yrs, and each year it is a delight to return. Although recent renovations have improved the logistics of the meeting space, I can't help but mourn the loss of the gorgeous restaurant in the center of the ground floor. Having afternoon tea under the stained glass roof was a truly zen experience. The rooms are clean, spacious, and retain historical charm. I stay in many cement and glass box hotels around the world, so it is a great treat to be in one that has warm personality and a touch of class!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business