“Great Hotel and service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Tampa, Florida
“Great Hotel and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for four nights and were very happy. This is in a great location and a very nice and historic hotel. The service we received from everyone in the hotel was incredible. The rooms are nice, not very big but the bed was so comfortable and all of the details such as the towels were great. We purchased the breakfast with our trip and we are so happy. Their breakfast was incredible. The bacon and sausage may be the best I have had for some time and they offer breads, bagels, jams, butter, cereals(hot and cold), juices, sodas, eggs, etc. We also ordered room service and the crab cake BLT was very good along with the wings and were up at the room within 30 minutes. I would recommend this hotel for the location and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Spent a night here in November. Was told that certain rooms in the hotel would be going through future renovations. Upgraded to a corner room, which was huge and had a nice view of the city, but the furniture looked really old and somewhat tarnished, and the room always felt empty. There were not enough pillows on the bed either. and the bathroom was really cold even with the heat on. Nevertheless - The room service was excellent; the mayflower banana bread was served as a welcoming gift and it was extremely delicious. The breakfast at the lounge was very generous, and the afternoon tea at Edgar's was one of the best I've had in DC (the price is decent, too!) Overall speaking Mayflower is a decent historic hotel but certainly needs a lot of improvement especially in terms of facilities - I'm looking forward to its transformation!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank fzwa1964
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for all of your feedback both positive and constructive. We are glad that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay and we hope you will consider staying with us in the future. We are looking forward to a room renovation at the end of the year!

Darcy
darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a great hotel which combines comfort and history. Great location for business or pleasure and the staff are excellent. I doubt I will stay anywhere else in DC. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil-Angie2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff, especially concierge Azi. Great local knowledge and guide. Good location. Close to Metro station. Tour buses stop at door.
Breakfast in club room is a mixed bag. Could do with extra hands to clear tables as other guests leave. Would like to see food available up to closing time rather than it wind down earlier.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel itself is acceptable, if not underwhelming. I stayed for two nights over the weekend and found the lobby to be very nice but the room itself was quite dated and worn. Everything was workable, but it was not as nice as I would have expected for a hotel of this caliber. For example, in the bathroom the fixtures had tarnished badly and there was mold growing in the corners of the shower. Also, they provided an in-room coffee maker, yet the tray in which one placed the coffee was missing, rendering the entire machine worthless (unless perhaps you want to make hot water?).

I prepaid my stay and got a great rate. I certainly wouldn't have paid the full published rate for this hotel. Problematically, upon check-out, the hotel apparently billed me again for the full price of my stay, so now I have to go through the hassle of having the charge removed. Whats more, the "accounting department" apparently is a voicemail box rather than a person to whom I can express my concerns. If it wasn't for the double-billing, I would rate this hotel as "average." Because of the billing issues and my inability to get in touch with a human to resolve the issue, this is a "poor" hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mayflower20036, Manager at The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are looking forward to a full roooms renovation at the end of this year! As for the billing, I do apologize for that. I know this can be frustrating. Please feel free to email me your details so I may work with our accounting team.

Darcy Roberts
darcy.roberts@renaissancehotels.com
Hudson, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here while our daughter participated in the Nike Half Marathon as it was one of the race hotels. It is a lovely old hotel in good shape. Even though it was a hectic weekend with the race, weddings, etc, the staff was gracious and always with helpful. Our room was big enough for a king size bed and a rollaway, as daughter spent the night before the race with us. Bathroom was spacious and well appointed. We tend to prefer the older hotels to the sterile contemporary ones and this was a joy. There was fresh coffee in urns in the lobby in the morning, iced water throughout the day. We did meet with friends in the lobby bar and found the service there to be efficient and friendly. We did not eat here. The parking fee is on a par with the other downtown hotels($45+) and the rooms are bigger. we had a great rate with the race and I would certainly stay her again if I could get some type of a deal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is a lovely old hotel with a grand entrance that was often bustling with conference and party guests. The hotel has many rooms but ours was large clean and comfortable.
The location was good not far from the metros and a pleasant walk to the White house area. We literally walked our socks off in Washington but this seemed like the best way to see the city.
We did do an evening bus tour of the monuments which was a great way to get to see all of them at night but walking was the best way in them in the day spread out over a few days.
the only criticism of the hotel was that they charged quite high rates for wifi and I found the concierge was helpful when we wanted to book a tour (I guess he gets commission on this) but was not at all helpful when I was asking for directions or with helping us check-in for our flight.
As an aside if you like a nice breakfast head to Kramers Books off Dupont Circle, this was the best food place we visited in the states!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple