“Good Hotel”

Ranked #77 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I tagged along with my wife who was attending a conference at the hotel. The arrival,check in was quick, polite and helpful. The room was very nice and i was impressed at the amount of electrical outlets and even usb charging plugs available. Od politene odd thing was that there was no hotel book in the room. I have never been in a hotel that did not have what i call "the book of it" available that lists what is available at the hotel, restaurants, amenities etc. We called the desk and they said there was not one but would answer any questions we had. The lobby has a Starbucks and several sitting areas and rooms which were very nice with books and comfy chairs. The valet was a little pricy but since I was in and out of the car a lot it was prompt, friendly and helpful. I ran into the housekeeper that had our room and she was very nice and polite. The doorman reminded my wife of the doorman in the movie "That Thing You Do". He was funny and helpful. Overall a good hotel which looked like it was handling a busy couple of days very well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Was recently booked in here for a workshop, and I was seriously impressed by the civilized oasis this hotel creates for its road-weary guests.

The lobby is huge, but artfully and psychologically divided into gathering spaces for various kinds of interactions. For example, there were open seating areas with magazines and comfy chairs for lounging/waiting, nearly-enclosed chair/table arrangements for discussions, darker, large boothed-in spots for drinking with friends, and cozy, warm-colored units for more personal chats.

The rooms were so clean and easy to move around in. Sliding barn doors conserve space, while long, horizontal surfaces allow for quick emptying and sorting during the awkward settling-in. Lighting was intuitive, without those annoying switch-searching games. The bed was divine, and the selection of pillows, indulgent. The shower had a rain-head -- bliss. And RF keys instead of the kludgey sliders made getting in and out humane. Really, this was a great room, designed to comfort and pamper weary travelers.

It has an extensive conference center as well as a shopping area beneath it. It's like a mini-city!

The hotel's location is also superb, right downtown within easy walking to great food, shops, main-drag buses, and Chinatown.

1 Thank PotatoFiend
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear PotatoFiend,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your superb description of the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel - our PR team couldn't have scripted a better review of our amazing hotel!

I certainly agree that our lobby is one of the best in our Nation's Capital and our guest rooms were designed to perfection with the weary traveler in mind.

We can't WAIT until you return to DC - please let me know when your travels bring you back - I would love to personally thank you!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Located one block from the Washington Convention Center, this is a great hotel for business travel. Service is excellent. The exercise facility is a gym/spa connected to the hotel, so it's large and very well equipped. Spa services are available. The lobby is exceptional for business meetings, with several optons for small groups to gather (including a Starbucks).
A 3-block walk to 7th street has the Verizon Center and several nice restaurant selections. It's about a 7 block walk to The Mall.
Rooms were average size and included a comfortable reading chair. As with any inner-city hotel, I recommend requesting an upper-level room to avoid road noise.
I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: front of hotel is on busy road, so ask for upper-level room or room in the back
1 Thank MichBustrav
Dear MichBustrav,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I agree, that we are sooooo convenient to everything - from the Walter E Washington Convention Center to the Verizon Center, monuments and Chinatown.

I am thrilled that we will be seeing you again - please let me know when you visit our Nation's Capital in the future!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was in Washington DC for a conference this week and honestly, this hotel should tell its visitors up front about the fact, that is in literally SURROUNDED by huge construction projects. It absolutely ruined my stay in DC. I arrived at the hotel at about 12.30am to find out that there was no room service after midnight and the stay went down hill from there. The jack hammering, construction vehicle noise and pile-driving started up at 7am sharp, so felt like 4am PST for me. I asked to be moved, in order to try and find a quieter corner of the hotel, and I think the second room was even worse. What ever you do, do not consider staying at this hotel if you are a vacation traveller. If you are on business from the east coast and an early riser, I guess you might be able to make it work.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs or be prepared to be up at 6am every morning.
Dear JBM86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I certainly understand how frustrating it can be with construction directly outside the hotel you chose for your vacation.

I do want to apologize that our hotel did not live up to your expectations due to the noise across the street from our hotel. CityCenterDC is a project that will begin opening in the 4th quarter of this year with a completion date in 2014. We anticipate that most of the construction noise will be completed in the next few months; regardless, you did not get a good night's sleep and I truly apologize.

Living in San Francisco, you too, are faced with numerous improvement projects in your city - Washington, DC continues to redevelop many of the facets of our Nation's Capital that will give travelers more choices when visiting.

Please let me know when your travels bring you back to our Nation's Capital. Of course, I would always welcome further discussion - you may reach me at Sharon.Lockwood@renaissancehotels.com.

Naples, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is part of the Marriott family of hotels. From check-in to check-out the service was efficient, friendly, and timely. From the smiling greeting we received from the parking valet to the courteous service we received from housekeeping, everyone seemed to have benefitted from a healthy dose of customer service training along the way. Geary, the front desk associate, acknowledged my frequent Marriott traveller status and did all he could to ensure the best stay possible. He handled all our questions patiently and gave us directions to local landmarks and restaurants. This hotel is easy walking distance to the White House and to Chinatown. The only negative is the same it would be with any other DC hotel -the cost for overnite parking ($45) is insane. This is a pleasant hotel with an eye on service......

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Serviceprof,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. As you mentioned, Renaissance is part of the lifestyle brands for Marriott International.

Many of our ambassadors have over twenty years of Marriott service and I'm thrilled you were able to experience their attention to detail and friendliness for that Marriott is known. I thank you for writing about Geary and that you also experienced our navigators - discovery is paramount in the Renaissance brand; I'm thrilled you ventured out not only to the White House but to Chinatown!

We'd love to welcome you back in the future!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I would like to give kudos to Anderson Wright & Raphael Malcolm! They provided me with great service. My wife and I have been at the Renaissance Wash DC Hotel since Saturday 9/24 for 5 nights. These guys have been extememly helpful and recognized us as loyaly members. My wife is an event manager and travels a great deal....now I know why she is so loyal to Marriott!

Great job!

Rory L. Tello & Jo Ann Tello
Austin, Texas

Dear Jo Ann and Rory,

Thank you for taking the time to write about the great service you received from Anderson and Raphael. Marriott recognizes ambassadors who exemplify our service values by awarding our "Spirit to Serve" award - we will nominate both of these fine gentlemen in your name.

Thank you again for staying with us and being loyal Marriott guests!

Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed 25 September 2013

From the pleasant front desk staff to the Navigator concierge, first impressions are wonderful. Recognized as a loyalty member and given a nice room upgrade during a busy onsite conference week. Beverly, the hostess in the concierge lounge on the 2nd floor, was always welcoming, smiling and genuinely seemed to enjoy greeting guests. Realizing I was traveling alone, she went out of her way every night to be sure and connect with me on a personal level. I hope the General Manager knows what a treasure he/she has in Beverly!

Dear QuiltNurse,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding the friendliness of the front desk and our Navigators.

I truly appreciate your feedback about Beverly who works in the evening in our Club Lounge. Beverly has been with Marriott for many years but was a recent addition to our team. I will certainly share your feedback with her managers, and, as the General Manager, I do recognize what a treasure Beverly is to our staff since I worked with her at a prior Marriott hotel!

Please let me know if your travels return you to our Nation's Capital!