“Maintaining its standards”

Ranked #77 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Maintaining its standards”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I returned to this hotel after 3 years and was happy ot note that it still maintains a high level of quality and that the standards had not slipped down.
I arrived just after the check in time of 3pm. Unfortunately the only hiccup I faced was here at the check in counter. The man whose name I do not want to disclose here but will never forget, was clearly not happy to release my room nor did he welcome me as a lifetime Platinum Elite member. My room had been upgraded to an executive suite and this person was repeatedly asking me if I "really wanted it" and trying to give me another room. He told me to "wait around" until the room was cleaned up and could not give me a clear answer as to how long it would take. I decided to wait in the lobby. He disappeared from the front desk and I immediately asked another lady who clearly told me that the rooms was very much ready since a long time!!!! I fail to understand the motive behind this guy or what prejudice he nurses. However I try to forget everything as the rest of my stay was excellent.
The suite was marvelous to mention the least. It had a huge balcony with a dining table outside as well as a sofa. The view was directly facing the convention center which was where I had to be present for the next few days therefore making life very easy for me.
The suite had a large living and dining room with a small guest toilet and as well as a pantry with a microwave. It made things extremely easy for us. The bedroom had a king sized bed with a large bathroom. The wardrobe had plush robes but surprisingly no slippers - even when I asked them.
The concierge lounge was closed for the weekend but we were given breakfast vouchers for the main restaurant which had a good spread. The lounge reopens on Sunday evenings and had the usual stuff of North American lounges. The staff were extremely nice there.
High speed internet was free for elite members.
Check out was quick and what upset me was a 10 dollar charge for delivering a mail packet to my room. The explanation offered didn't make any sense to me nor did the staff at the desk seemed convinced why it had to be charged.
Once again with this pleasant stay I try to dismiss these matters but it needs to be taken care of by the management.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear DXBDOC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I certainly appreciate that you returned to visit after three years - as you noticed, the hotel was recently renovated during that time.

I truly understand how frustrated you must have been to have to wait for your suite when you arrived at our hotel. As a Platinum Elite member, you are a very valuable guest. I understand that you did not want to reveal the name of the desk agent who checked you in, but I ask that you reach out to me at your convenience (sharon.lockwood@renaissancehotels.com) to allow me the opportunity to meet with this agent to insure they understand how their behavior may impact a guest's stay. I truly apologize that you experienced a less than stellar check-in experience.

I am thrilled the rest of your stay met your satisfaction. Please do come back to visit if your travels return you to our Nation's Capital!

Sharon Lockwood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in room 756. The room was big with funky bed lighting. They use Aveda branded toiletries and there's an ipod/iphone dock in the room as well as a coffee machine. The hotel is located within walking distance of the White House and Capital Hill and is very close to Chinatown with a range of dining options. They have free wifi in the lobby. There's a small convenient store and a sandwich bar in the lobby. This hotel would be perfect if they offer free wifi in the room and if they add a swimming pool. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Hammered D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our hotel.

I certainly agree that we are close to everything worth discovering in our Nation's Capital. I appreciate your feedback about wifi in our rooms and adding a swimming pool. At this time, we have no plans, but you never know!

I do hope you definitely come to visit us again when your travels return you to DC!

Irvine, California, USA
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I checked in for a conference at the hotel and was given exceptional treatment when the room I had reserved was not available. I was scheduled to stay for 3 nights. Unfortunately after 2 nights I was called away on an emergency and the staff was able to help me arrange transportation, make all the arrangements and then check me out quickly. They were exceptional. Especially Anderson Wright at the front desk. Actually not only did he help me check in and out, but he also gave me a terrific reccomendation for a restaurant. It is often hard for Hotels to give great treatment to conference attendees, however this staff really went the extra mile. The room I had was large and very well done. All in all a great place for a conference.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ron M,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about our hotel and Anderson!

I am sorry that you were unable to stay with us for as long as planned but am thrilled that Anderson was able to provide that special service to help you quickly depart for home.

We do hope that if your plans return you to the East Coast, that you will stop by our city to stay again!

Alpine, Utah
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending the tradeshow across the street. It couldn't have been more convenient. The room, while not that large, was quite comfortable. The bathroom fixtures were definitely upgraded, and the shower was terrific. Most of all the bed was extremely comfortable. The view was pretty nice as well, as I got lucky and faced a Western Sunset each night. If I come to Washington DC again next year, I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Dave B,

Thank you for taking the time to write review about the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel. We certainly are so convenient to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and all other sites of our Nation's Capital (all work and no play, etc, etc)

I am thrilled you enjoyed our recently renovated guest rooms as well as we lucky to watch the setting sun each evening from your guest room.

I'm going to hold you to coming back to visit us in the future!

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Reception was friendly and fast and though our room looked right into offices,it was spacious and clean,it was odd having morning coffee in paper cups but at least one had coffee machines in the room and the coffee itself was delicious,the bathroom was ample,and the water was warm much sooner than in many hotels I,ve stayed in.The hotel is well placed if one is wanting to enjoy the museums,libraries and the more cultural side of Washington,but though there are some shops spotted around,it'll take quite a car trip to get to any malls.With that being said China Town is just around the corner,though I myself haven't ventured far into it,so can't vouch for the shopping.There are plenty of eating places to choose from,as well as a restaurant in the hotel and a Starbucks in the reception area.Altogether it was quite an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Shirley v,

Thank you so much for visiting us from South Africa! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that our guest rooms exceeded your expectations.

We are very convenient to the many sites of Washington, DC; however, if you choose not to walk, our metro subway is very clean and easy to maneuver throughout the city and outlying areas such as Pentagon City (where there is an amazing shopping mall)!

We do hope, if your travels return you to the states and our Nation's Capital that you will choose to stay with us again!

Melbourne Victoria
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I flew in prior to commencing a set tour a few days later. I found my room a little dark and it was absolutely no issue to change it. Desk staff, navigator staff and housekeeping brilliant. I cannot find fault and the construction issue occurs world wide!
Boston a few days later, they were doing road works at the front of that hotel from 10pm til 2am, that's right, 2am!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Baci09
Dear Baci09,

Thank you for staying at the Renaissance, Washington, DC Downtown Hotel before beginning your tour of the United States.

I appreciate your feedback about your original room; however, I am delighted that our reception staff changed your room promptly for you.

You are correct, Washington, DC does have a lot of new buildings added to our horizon; however, I am very glad that we do not experience ALL NIGHT construction as you had mentioned in other US cities.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 October 2013

There is a lot of construction going on near this hotel. It's in a great location near China Town and the Verizon Center. A drawback, don't get a room facing the main street. Between the construction noise and sirens in the area, you many have trouble sleeping. The hotel is quite nice, I attended a conference and the rooms and spacing was quite nice. As expected for the area, the hotel and restaurants are quite expensive. The bathroom had some cleanliness issues, although overall the room was nice.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room facing the main street, its very loud!