“Great Hotel For Sightseeing”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 17 February 2014

What great value this hotel was its close to Chinatown and the Verizon Centre only a 5 minute walk away .We had a problem checking in which was efficiently sorted out and all the staff are friendly and helpful The room was well appointed and we had a great view from it My daughters sat watching for ages at night .Really comfortable bed and a well appointed room better than I expected .I would recommend it

Room Tip: Some great restaurants a short walk away near China Town but avoid that as its very run down
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,513)

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

For convention center, museums, dining. Great location. Excellent fitness center. BIG lobby. Great staff from front desk to bellhop Richard who took us all the way to our car with luggage and belongings. Room not soundproofed so some street noise infiltrated. Room was large, comfy, plenty of task area. Fridge in room and coffee maker. All very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Went their for a 3 day trip with my wife to get away for a few days hopping we would have a good time. It was anything but a good trip. Let me start by saying it is a nice hotel but it was like a big play ground the whole time we was there. To many kids running around and we got woke up more then a few time from what sounded like 5 or 6 kids running around in the hall ways at 3am in the morning. Most of the staff had a rudeness to them that I just could not put my finger on and felt really out of place there.

As one other person said maybe they "the management" should go stay at a Hilton. Matter of fact as I type this I am sitting at a Embassy Suites and as always everything is great here. I travel a lot for work and stay at one of the Hilton family of hotels most of the time but wanted to give them a try. I can say the was my first and will be my last stay at a Renaissance.

So Renaissance knows this is a real review my Confirmation Number is was 80164487. Other then that I really don't know what more to say. I spend about 50 nights a year in a hotel but I want be spending my nights there anymore.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OliverDWalker
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Mr. Walker,

Thank you for taking your time to let us know of your experience at the Renaissance Hotel last weekend. I can certainly understand how you feel about a quiet get-away with your wife and what you might be expecting from a full service hotel. Unfortunately, the Washington Convention Center was hosting a very large volleyball tournament across the street from the hotel. The teams were in most every hotel in the downtown area and with our close proximity to the center, we certainly had our share of teams. Our experience with the teams has always been very positive as they have been well behaved and respectful of our hotel and guests in the past - this year seemed to be a little different. Based on your experience, we will have to look at a different strategy for next year’s tournament.

I apologize that you and your wife for the less than perfect experience and we would love to have you give un another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you have another opportunity to visit Washington DC.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a conference. The room was well updated and nice as were the lobby and other public spaces. The are several train stops nearby, but nothing extraordinary right by the hotel. I would stay here for business, but not with the kids.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear njoy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate that you enjoy our amazing lobby for gathering and meeting friends and colleagues.

Although you indicate that there is not much close by, very shortly, the Carnegie Library will host the Spy Museum, the Portrait Gallery of Art is one block from the hotel as well as the Verizon Center. CityCenterDC opens in a few months with 300,000 sq. ft of retail, restaurants and nightlife.

We love families and hope you give us the opportunity to have you and your family stay with us the next time you visit our Nation's Capital!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

what an awful experience. I know I provided not to write bad reviews but this one is deserved. Used a gift certificate, made the reservation with the sales manager's assistant Rosa, told her I wrote for a travel publication. She assured me of red carpet treatment. Busy, noisy, no room upgrade as promised. Wine at the bar was bad two times, elevator got stuck, wait there is more... Wireless is like 20.00 a day. Come on really? I am writing this review on 4g in my room.
Complaining to the front desk was like bring the bad review on!!!! So I will again and again. Save your money for a hotel that appreciates it. Not this one. DJ

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharon L, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear David, J,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. I certainly understand your frustration based on your feedback from you experience at the hotel this weekend. I can assure you, your experience was not a typical one for our hotel. I apologize that your expectations were not met this past weekend.

Rob McCulloch, our Director of Sales and Marketing will be reaching out to you directly to discuss your overall experience today.

In the interim, if you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This was my first time in Renaissance, it is pretty sweet. But, im not sure if it is worth the money. If you are a gold member and if you have access to club lounge and free internet, yes, it is worth it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear ValladolidDiego,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel.

I appreciate that you would like to be closer to the main attractions of DC; however, we are within a 6 block walking distance of the White House and one block from the Portrait Gallery of Art. We are only 1 1/2 blocks from metro, you can travel anywhere in DC within minutes.

We look forward to your return to our Nation's Capital in the future!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights and had an excellent experience. Daniel at the front desk was charming, and the manager, Pedro, was swift to assist me with an issue with my rewards points. Upon leaving, I accidentally left behind my tablet computer. I spoke to Etienne on the phone and together with Loss Prevention manager, Mike, they arranged to have the tablet next-day aired to me. Delicious buffet breakfast (the gentleman who makes the omelettes is so nice), and Beverly in the concierge lounge was delightful. I have never written a review before, but these employees are outstanding and I commend Renaissance for hiring such a talented, service focused team!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TalkingGirl8211

Dear TalkingGirl8211,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Renaissance, Washingoton, DC Downtown hote.

I appreciate that you took the time to mention so many amazing ambassadors by name. I am nominating each of them, on your behalf, for Marriott's "Spirit to Serve" award which recognizing team member sho provide exceptional service.

Thank you again and I look forward to having you stay with us again!