“Not worth the expensive room rate”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location. Overall, staff was friendly. The rooms and the hotel are nicely decorated. I had a few issues with this hotel. First, there was an obvious, dusty Swedish fish in the crevasse between my bed and the nightstand. This crevasse is part of the furniture, not the floor. The location was very obvious- if you make the bed, there is no missing it. Therefore, it leads me to believe the cleanliness is not up to par. The other issue is that the iron leaked brown water, which I was lucky I noticed right before I ironed my ivory slacks. I requested a new one right away, but it was taking too long to come. I called the desk and they stated they were busy with calls and they'd get to me when they had time. Horrible response. After I insisted sternly I needed it right away, they sent one immediately. Last, the walls are paper thin, you can hear people talking next door, you hear many sounds outside and some type of continuous ringing noise for quite a while at night. Hard to sleep.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Bassoc,

Thank you for taking your time to let us know of your experience during your recent stay. I appreciate the positive comments about our staff – we work hard to provide the best service possible! I also appreciate you sharing your concerns about the lack of attention to details in the room – we have already shared your comments with the management staff and housekeeping team to help us improve for future guests. We have also spent time with the Front Office team to be sure our responses are appropriate and timely. I apologize for the poor experiences you encountered – we will improve!

Feedback is the only way we can recognize our team and improve our hotel and the services we provide!

I look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Washington DC!!

Sharon Lockwood

Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I spent one night at the Renaissance in June 2014 for business. I switched from another hotel in the area in the morning, and I was easily able to do an early check-in (yay!). The hotel is huge, which I'm sure helped, but the staff were courteous and efficient. The room was spacious and comfortable (with Aveda toiletries -- always a plus), and the hotel's accessibility to DC's many attractions was impressive -- notably, the Gallery Place Metro stop is less than two blocks away. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance, and there's lots of foot traffic in the area at all hours, so you don't feel unsafe. The lobby bar was also quite nice, with some charming bartenders. And, there's a Starbucks right in the lobby! The fitness center is supposedly amazing, though I couldn't squeeze in enough time to enjoy it.

1  Thank CityGirl42
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My room was updated but others were not. Ask for an update room. Also ask for a room on a high level. I was in room 672 overlooking the street and it was noisy all night. Was awoken many times from delivery trucks.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I recently traveled to DC for the Afro-Bahia Festival. This hotel was about a $10 cab ride from the venue. It is right in downtown DC near Chinatown. I was pleased with the cleanliness of the room. The bed was comfortable. The service was great, but the gratuity on room service was the highest I've seen. My only complaint is that the walls are fairly thin. So if your neighbors are active-- you'll hear it. ESPECIALLY in the morning, you can hear the maids going from room to room.

Room Tip: Name your own price online or you could pay way more than you have to!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This Marriot chain hotel had the best service ( they gave us early check in around 10am in the morning ) which we really appreciated it as we just landed from morning flight. This treatment really make our visit to DC really good as we have enough rest and time to explore the capital city.
The room also magnificent with all windows n modern minimalist style , not too big just enough with 2 double beds and 1 sofa and the bathroom also comfortable
Location also perfect , 5 min strolling to chinatown and 30 min walking to White House , we explore it twice , at first we explore it at midnight which we really glad that we do this as we can enjoy the view and everything in quiet environment

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was attending this past weekend the National War College Dinner. My family stayed at the Grand Hyatt next door. Around 7:30 I realized I forgot my wallet at the hotel which I needed because the bar only took cash and I only had a credit card on me. I went to the front drive where I meet a doorman I believe his name is Saunders or something close to that. I asked for a cab to the grand Hyatt. 3 cabs came in and none of them will take me. The excuse was it was to close. Saunders than contacted a gentlemen name Muhammad to asset me. Muhammed went to the line and said if no cab will take this gentlemen than no cab will be getting a fair here tonight. Muhammed than pulled a cab from the street and paid for me from his own pocket, a rounds trip and said make sure my guest gets to where he needs to be and bring him back. Muhammed paid $20 for me and the fair only cost 6 bucks. When I came back I brought cash so I can pay him back but he refused to accept the cash. He said "you leaving happy and coming back happy is enough and that's all he care about". I stayed in Marriott hotels across the country for the last 25 years and I never received service like this. Next time when I am in the city I will definitely stay at the renaissance. Our event went well, the bar was excellent and the service I received made be feel like a VIP even though I was not.

1  Thank Roger W
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Poor customer service and attention to detail. Customer service attitudes reflect the fact that most guests at this hotel are forced to stay there because of need to be attached to the convention center. service was functionary at best, first contact with hotel personnel was someone who lied to us. Room had not been cleaned very well, again, lack of attention to detail. My wife had to go around with a washcloth and soap! Parked my car in Valet parking (over $100.00 for two nights! (+$10 in tips)) and when I got it back the items left in the trunk had been significantly re-arranged, either very aggressive driving or someone had gone through them.

My previous stays in the DC area have been satisfactory so I assume this particular hotel is a poor representation of the area.

Stay somewhere else if you can....

Room Tip: We had an outside room, but apparently one could be stuck in an interior room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear judiciousdiner,

Thank you for taking your time to let us know of your less than perfect experience. Our goal is always to meet or exceed each guests expectations. Cleanliness and service are the two most important areas of focus for the hotel team. I apologize that you had concerns in both areas. I would be very interested in the areas of you room that needed additional attention and also the situation where you felt you had been lied to. Both areas can be improved upon with more specific feedback to enable us to re-train or troubleshoot with our managers and staff. Our ramp into the garage is a complete circle, but we always want and need to be mindful of speed and care of the cars to which we are entrusted. I have shared your comments with the leaders of the garage and housekeeping teams for improvement in both areas.

I certainly appreciate the time you took to provide feedback and wish to welcome you back to show that we are capable of doing better.

Sharon Lockwood