“Nice location”

Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Ranked #80 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed 1 night with my family. The staff was beyond nice & very helpful. The location was great! Easy walk to DuPont Circle, Monument Square & Georgetown. Our room was a little small, but extremely clean. The only downfall for the stay was the $50 valley parking fee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2014

omg..omg...omg...this hotel is the bomb diggety, lol..from the lobby to the room amazing..I fell in love with this place on sight..the lobby smelled sooo good I could just sit there and inhale all day. The valet parking is a little pricey $42 a night but there is a lot directly across the street. Our room was amazing..very chic and contemporary which I love...chrome and dark wood is my fave..the bed was a 10, I had to force myself to get up, lol...I booked this thru priceline for $100 night...I was a little nervous because I couldn't see what I was getting to after I booked...it was a pleasant surprise...I also love the area, everything in walking distance...We ate at Cuba Libre, City Tap House, and Georgia Brown's..on our last day we had the breakfast buffet in the hotel..delish...the best weekend I had in awhile and it was my anniversary to boot...

Room Tip: request room on high floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tamika W
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family stayed in a nicely renovated king room at this hotel while I was at a work conference. All of the staff members we met were gracious and pleasant. We had a little trouble operating the safe, but someone came promptly to help us code it in.

The king bed was truly comfortable, and the room came with a sofa bed that was perfect for my son.

My only complaint was that the hotel didn't have a pool, but the staff said we could go to the nearby Marriott that had one (we didn't actually have time to go, but perhaps someone can check it out). Also, the underground parking is a bit expensive at the hotel, but there is a surface lot right across the street on 9th Street NW that is more affordable.

Room Tip: ask for room with sofa bed if you are bringing an extra guest or child; look for surface lot across...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Always enjoy staying at Renaissance Hotel's because of the unique nature of each property. This one is no exception and the lobby is very welcoming with cozy seating areas and a nice bar/dining area for getting together with friends/colleagues.

The hotel's location is ideal in DC, close to the convention center. Check in was seamless and quick and the front desk staff was very welcoming . Guest room was well maintained and had all of the creature comforts needed. Bed was super comfortable with lots of pillows. Only oddity to me was a wallpaper mural of historical DC photos directly behind the toilet. Interesting photos for sure, but not really a spot I'd like to linger while looking at the pictures!

I visited the concierge lounge both the evening and morning and found the selections to be fairly typical of Marriott properties concierge offerings. Soft drinks, water and light snacks. There were some yummy shrimp appetizers in the evening and in the morning a nice display of fruits and other breakfast items. Large concierge area with plenty of seating.

Upon my arrival and exit I found the doormen to be excellent, helping with my bag and hailing a cab for me quickly. These guys are the hardest working people in the hospitality business and I always make sure to thank AND tip them each time!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed in Mar 2014 for conference. For anyone attending the Washington Conference Centre, this is pretty unbeatable, essentially just across the street. Also has a nice bar for the after conference get togethers etc. Room was pleasantly big, in fact, really big! Maybe it was previously a suite, but with just a king bed in it, there was plenty of room to move around and do stuff. Internet access (in room) was not free (which is really annoying in this day and age), but worked well. The bathroom was a little bit dated (shower compartment did not drain all that well), but nothing to get too fussy about. Front desk was helpful, umbrellas on offer for the rain etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While the Renaissance in Washington, D.C. is just steps from the convention center and an easy walk to many of the monuments, the sound-proofing of the rooms is nearly non-existent. Sirens, loud car bass and noisy crowds were all plainly audible (and in many cases jarringly loud) even on the 9th floor. Even the room next door was easily heard through the walls.

The lobby and amenities are excellent, food was good, and the staff was pleasant. We lost a phone charger, and it's possible it was stolen, but I'm not comfortable saying that's what happened. It'd be an odd thing to steal.

We got a $99/night deal on the room through a 3rd party site, and for that fee, I wasn't terrifically put out by the drawbacks. But if I'd paid full price for the room (in excess of $200/night), I'd have been plenty upset about the noise.

Bottom line: if you are accustomed to a noisy sleeping environment, and/or location is more important to you than rest, the Renaissance should suffice.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the highest levels and specify you prefer quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Sharon L, General Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Adam J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I do agree that we are in a great location as we are truly in the heart of the city.

I certainly understand your frustration about the noise from our city while you are sleeping. As we are located near everything DC has to offer, that sometimes can be challenging to our guests. I apologize that you did not get a great night sleep that evening.

We do have rooms that face inward to the hotel and over the plaza that are a bit quieter and encourage you to ask for those rooms if you return to our hotel.

We are working on taking additional measures to soundproof our rooms even more than they are currently...if your travels do return you to DC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know!

Sharon Lockwood

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our stay here was fabulous , from the front desk clerk, to the room , to the valet. The hotel was clean. Everyone was so friendly and we enjoyed our stay!!we had chocolate strawberries delivered to our room because we told Brittney it was our anniversary

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple