“Very pleased after a rocky start”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #12 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 May 2012

While this hotel ended up winning me over, I was not happy at first. Arriving at the hotel at midnight -- 15 hours after leaving home, I was told that, due to overbooking, they did not have a room for me! They did comp my one night at their sister hotel two blocks away. Unfortunately, it meant that I had to unpack enough for one night and the next day's clothing, repack, walk the two blocks back to The River Inn in the morning, leave my bags so that I could attend my meeting, and check in later that day. But, once I did get to my room, I found it spacious, clean, and exceeding my expectations. It's located in a quiet residential neighborhood just a few blocks from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and restaurants near George Washington University. The Metro stop is also nearby the university, making any destination in DC easy to get to. The best part was the Starbucks whole coffee beans and grinder. The best coffee experience that I've had in a hotel!

Room Tip: Since it is located in a residential neighborhood, any room is good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank T P M
OpsMgrWas, Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

We apologize for the bumpy start; we want to assure you we do not extensionally over book ourselves but do take care of our guest when those rare times happen. We are delighted though, even after a rough start, we were able to wow you and your family. We hope you return to us the next time you visit Washington DC.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I recently took our first trip to WA DC. After scouring the internet for something reasonably priced that did not break the bank, I came across this little gem located in Georgetown. We were not disappointed. The hotel is an easy walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station. We took the train from the airport. The hotel is nestled in the middle of a college residential neighborhood on a quiet, tree lined street. Check in was quick and easy and the staff was pleasant. Our room was located on the top floor. From the pictures shown - I was expecting the river to be right behind the hotel however that was not the case, it is a couple of blocks over. Our view out our window was the dormitory next door - with windows faced directly at our room - not a great deal of privacy. College town, dormitory...I was expecting noise at night, however the hotel was extremely quiet. The room was very spacious and even had a kitchen (we did not use it). I did not find furnishings, etc to be run down, as other reviews have suggested. It is an older building, however I felt the room was fairly well kept and clean. Bathroom had a dripping faucet and looked a little more worn but it was certainly functional and well stocked with towels and clean. We dined at the restaurant downstairs only once...it was good but nothing special. There are so many great little eateries within walking distance. We did a lot of walking. The Whitehouse is only a 10-15 minute walk and if you are interested in catching the hop on/hop off bus for the city tour - it is a 5 minute walk to the bus stop. The shops in Georgetown are walkable as well. Checkout was easy - simply push a button on the TV and you are done. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of many attractions without having to stay in Virginia. Washington DC is an amazing city and we had a great time exploring and this was a great place to come back to and relax at night. Would highly recommend and if we are ever in DC again - we would stay at The River Inn.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank torrihoward

We thank you calling us a “Hidden Gem in Georgetown”, we see ourselves are the same. The Foggy Bottom area is perfect for family want a quiet and safe area. We are aware that no all our view at the hotel are the best, the next time you visit, please request a room with a nicer view and we’ll try our hardest to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at The River Inn on our recent first time visit to DC. The location is fantastic! It's within walking distance of many attractions and the Foggy Bottom Metro for sightseeing during the day and a short ten minute walk to great restaurants in Georgetown in the evening. The immediate neighbourhood is quiet with tree lined streets and gracious older homes. Our room was huge and the bed was very comfortable. Yes, it could use some redecorating but it felt like home after a long day of walking and taking in all the marvelous treasures DC has to offer. My favourite thing was that every time we returned to the hotel, the doorman greeted us with "Welcome back!" All of the staff was friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the DC area.
GayleOwlToronto

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MomOwl
OpsMgrWas, Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

We are very thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us, and couldn’t be more proud. We are excited to hear one of your favorite things about your stay was our staff’s attitude when you returned from a day of adventuring around our Nation’s Capital. We hope you return to us the next time you visit!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

My children (11 and 14) and I recently stayed at the River Inn. The biggest plus was the great location near GW and Foggy Bottom Metro and the kitchen in the room. It's on a residential street and in a charming neighborhood. There is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's very nearby to stock up on breakfast items/snacks,etc. We took the metro everywhere, it's close to Georgetown and the waterfront and just a few stops on the metro to the National Mall. Lots of restaurants nearby too.
We had a queen bed with sleeper sofa so it was fine for us. The room was a bit small and a little worn, but overall very satisfied with cleanliness, convenience and the great location. We did have dinner at the restaurant, (DISH+Drinks) one night and it's a bit upscale for family dining. I used the gym one morning and had it to myself. Basically just cardio machines but all up to date and clean.
I'd probably go back.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have a view, we were on the second floor overlooking the street. Noise not a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank JenMBoston

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you found our location great for your family needs and that you were able to take advantage of both grocery stores and our fully equipped kitchen. Being only two blocks from the Metrorail is extremely convenient for our guests, as you can venture almost everywhere in DC with ease.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

What a great place to stay when visiting the DC area! Close to the Metro but quiet, tree lined and peaceful. Nice place to unwind after a day of Smithsonians and monuments. The hotel is older so a random carpet wrinkle or a knick in the wallpaper but a VERY spacious room. We were here for our 25th wedding anniversary and were upgraded to a king suite. Nice kitchenette so we could eat breakfast in our room every morning before heading out for the day. Super quiet, professional staff. Use their bikes for free to ride up to Georgetown, etc. Walking distance to Kennedy Center, Georgetown, Metro. Beautiful neighborhood, felt like our little home away from home. Trader Joe's nearby for groceries.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank woolnerd

We are honored and thrilled you chose our hotel to celebrate such a wonderful anniversary. Congratulations!! We hope you stay with us again the next time you visit Washington DC.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am currently staying here for 2 weeks with my wife and 10-month old baby in a "Corporate Suite" that has a separate bedroom. Points raised in other reviews are accurate: the rooms are large but worn, the Internet is very slow, the proximity to Trader Joe's is a plus, and the view from higher floor rooms is not bad.

I have one overwhelming complaint. It was just a few degrees above freezing last night, and the hotel has no heating. I only discovered this after I turned on the heat in our room, and waited 20 minutes for it to warm up, as the room turned into an ice cellar. Finally, I called the front desk and was told the entire building's heating system was turned off in March. I can't believe no one on the hotel staff thought to mention this to us at the point we made the reservation a few weeks ago (and requested a crib for our baby) or when we checked in with our infant in arms.

When I complained and said we couldn't stay in the hotel with our baby without any heat, the management sent us a small space heater. This is sufficient to heat the bedroom, but it leaves us confined there with the door holding back the cold air outside, and the whole reason we stayed at this hotel and are paying for the large suite was to allow our daughter to sleep while we used the rest of the suite.

I complained again today and requested a second heater to make the rest of the suite tolerably warm. I was told they would look into and get back to me, whichever they never did. I just called the front desk again and was told they don't have any more space heaters.

A good, acceptable space heaters goes for less than $20, 1/2 of 1% of the nearly $4000 we will spend if we stay here for 2 weeks as originally planned.

I am furious that we were not warned ahead of time that the hotel had no heat, particularly in light of the fact that we have a small baby, which the hotel knew about about beforehand. The hotel manager should have apologized to us before we discovered the situation ourselves and then sent one of the staff out to spend a few hundred dollars on heaters.

We are now on the fence about staying for the full 2 weeks, but I am too busy with work tomorrow to be able to move. We are going to wait to see if the weather warms up before deciding.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank whirled_traveler2012

We apologize for any inconvenience you incurred due to the abnormal weather in April, but we are happy we were able to accommodate you with an extra space heater the next day. Please be informed, local stores do not sell space heaters in late April. We have unsuccessfully looked everywhere on multiple occassions. We truly hope this experience does not deter you from returning to us or recommending us to friends and family.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Walk to the Kennedy Center, shops, restaurants, GW University, the State Department, and a Metro stop. If you drive to DC but don't need the car, avoid the $40.12 a day valet parking fee by parking at the R Regan Airport economy lot for $12.00 a day plus cab fare. Fine staff, tree lined street, coffee beans and grinder in the room, fruit bowl awaiting your arrival. We recommend Suite 811.

Room Tip: It is a quiet neighborhood block so facing the street is not a problem. Suite 811 has top floor, cor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Isadora6332

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you found our location ideal for your needs, and for the helpful tips on how to save some extra dollars! While we do understand parking costs can seem a bit steep, these are fairly standard for the Washington DC area. The room you stayed is our Potomac one bedroom suite, which is one of our bigger suites containing a large king size bed along with a separate living room. We look forward to seeing you the next time your visit our Nation’s Capital!