“Great location, great hotel.”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, great hotel.”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed at the River Inn for 3 nights in July 2012. The location and price were the reasons for staying at this hotel. This hotel is located in a quaint residential area of Foggy Bottom. The walk to the Metro was about 2 blocks and there were several nice restaurants in the area along with a Whole Foods. The Jr Suite was nice and spacious and having a little kitchen was a plus. The only criticism were the carpets...there were a few stains but the room felt clean overall. I would stay at this hotel again. Like other hotels in the city the parking is expensive ($40 with tax) but we got lucky on the first night and found a spot on the street but had to valet the next 2 nights. A couple of things I would recommend around DC. I would recommend the spot cycles which are located all around the city. We picked up a couple of bikes and rode them across the city to the Capitol and Smithsonian and also rode around all the monuments after dinner one night for a night tour. The bikes were pretty convenient and there's an iPhone app that tells you how many bikes and docks are available. Also check out a restaurant called the Founding Farmers. Its about a 8 minute walk from the hotel. Great breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Hello there! Thank you for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at The River Inn! I'm sorry to hear that the carpet in your suite was stained; our hotel will be renovated this fall, and the carpets as well as other items such as furniture will be updated. Our valet parking is $40.12 a night (including tax), I'm glad that you were able to find street parking to help you out with that though (it can be tough to find!). Thank you for mentioning the Capitol Bikeshare program, as well as Founding Farmers (one of my personal favorite restaurants in DC). I did not know about the bike program's iPhone app, I'll be sure to pass that information on to our guests. Just so you know, we provide complimentary bike rentals for up to two hours at a time at the hotel; perhaps you can take advantage of that during your next stay! Thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Finnish first
Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

Found river inn on tripadvsor and it didn't disappoint. Got a great deal and then upgraded room once we got there and had a full apartment for only $35 more per night. Building used to be apartments so every room has a kitchen. Ours had separate bedroom, full kitchen and big living room/ dining room. 5 minute walk to foggy bottom metro and a lovely whole foods store. Easy walk to Georgetown. No, it's not luxurious but it's clean and spacious and I'd highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank melmobarrie
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here at The River Inn! TripAdvisor has become a popular tool in finding hotels, it's great that you have found such success with it. Also, I'm glad that we could get your suite upgraded to something even larger. As you stated, the hotel used to be an apartment complex, and you can really tell that by looking at the suites and all the space. We are close to a lot of activities in the area, including the Metro, grocery stores, and the restaurants/shops of Georgetown! Our guests love just how close all of this is! Thank you for your kind words, and we hope to see you again sometime.
Woburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed at the River Inn for four nights in June 2012. This Inn is just a great place to stay while in D.C. It is close to the downtown tourist areas, but is in a more residential area of Foggy Bottom. The metro is close by and there are many nice restaurants in the area. The room itself was lovely. Large, spacious, very clean and comfortable. The Kitchenette was an added bonus. The price for parking if you bring your car (as we did) is a bit high, but on average with all other hotels in the D.C. area and not more than we ex pected. I walked each day to the downtown area which took no more than 15 mins. If you are not much of a walker the FoggyBottom Metro station is only a couple of minutes from the Inn. I also purchased from the front desk, a voucher for the Big Red Bus. They have three routes in and around the D.C. and Georgetown area which allows you to hop on and hop off. I used the bus to get to areas that were further away like Georgetown and then walked around. We have been to three other hotels in this area in the past, but the River Inn is the only one I liked enough to go back to. We have already made reservations to go back in October for another four days

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank myzoey2000
Hello there! Thank you for your nice review on The River Inn. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the hotel's great location. Like you, I am more of a walker in the city, and the hotel is really close to a lot of sights that way. It is great that you were able to use the hop on hop off bus to get around the city. I'm sorry that you found the garage fee to be expensive. Parking is a high premium here; other hotels in the area have the same rate as us, if not higher. Our guests really appreciate the kitchens in the rooms. They are very convenient, especially for guests who are doing a long-term stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again someday here at The River Inn!
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed at the River Inn for four nights during the July 2012 heat wave and it proved to be a very good choice.
The hotel is conveniently located in 'Foggy Bottom' close to the George Washington University which is a very nice, quiet and cozy neighborhood. The hotel is just a 3 minute walk from the Metro (Orange & Blue line) which will take you to any sight within minutes.
Rooms are spacious and although a little bit outdated, they're clean and fully equipped with a small kitchen, fridge, coffee maker and basic utensils.
Very friendly staff, nice continental- or american breakfast for USD 10-12 p/p .... generally a good value hotel for a Washington prime location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sunbird0102
Greetings! Thank you for your kind words about The River Inn. I'm glad that you were able to have a good time despite the intense heat! We are very close to a lot of the sights in DC, both walking and via Metro; our guests really appreciate the convenience of the hotel's location. We take pride in the amenities that we provide, such as the kitchen and its utensils; hopefully you were able to feel right at home! It's great that you tried breakfast at Dish + Drinks as well and that you found good value in it. Please stop by and visit us again sometime!
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We are staying here for 8 straight nights and loving it. The staff is friendly and helpful and I was able negotiate with them on the room rate and location, which always makes one feel good! The hotel rooms are quiet and some have views of the Potomac while others look over the rooftops at the Washington Monument. Hotel is within walking distance of the Lincoln Memorial (20 minutes) and is located in a nice area of Foggy Bottom. Whole Foods is about four blocks away and Trader Joe's is three blocks away. Foggy Bottom Metro Station is three blocks away. I agree with others that while the amenities are wonderful, the place is worn around the edges. Fraying wallpaper, scratched furniture, etc. But the housekeeping staff keeps the rooms and kitchens clean and the linens are in good shape. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Try for rooms higher up so that you can see beyond the rooftops.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christi M
We are excited to hear that you have enjoyed your time at The River Inn! Our staff is more than willing to help you whenever they can, so I'm glad they could assist you with rates and suite location. The guests really love the surrounding neighborhood and how close many activities are to the hotel. I'm sorry that you found the room to be a bit worn. However, we will be undergoing renovations this upcoming fall, so hopefully you'll be able to visit us again sometime to see all the changes! We look forward to your next visit at The River Inn!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have been to the River Inn in DC, very close to Georgetown, twice-- both related to conferences. The neighborhood is pleasant, and an easy walk to the Foggy Bottom/ GWU metro. Rooms have nice kitchenettes, clean and comfortable overall. Parts look a little worn (carpet), but generally in good repair. Have not tried the property restaurant, mostly due to the many other great places a short walk away. Don't miss the trader joes just up the street (25th) to get goodies for the ref rig, etc...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jjroadster
, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Hello there! It is great to hear that you have been able to enjoy The River Inn more than once! I hope you were able to have some fun in addition to the conferences that you attended. The surrounding neighborhood of Foggy Bottom is a great setting for our hotel, I'm glad that you have enjoyed the local Trader Joe's and nearby restaurants. Perhaps on your next visit you can also try Dish + Drinks, our in-house restaurant! You mentioned the worn carpets, so I just wanted to let you know that we will be undergoing some renovations this coming fall, so you should definitely come back again and see the changes! We look forward to your next stay at The River Inn.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The River Inn was one of those great finds after extensively researching accommodations in Washington, DC. The rooms were clean (almost luxurious), comfortable, and came with kitchens which is an increasing rarity with the finer hotels these days. It is within walking distance of Georgetown, and all the main attractions within Washington (10 minutes to the Lincoln Memorial). The hotel is located in the nice residential neighbourhood of Foggy Bottom and is very close to supermarkets and provides an opportunity for those to utilize the kitchen facilities and save money on having to eat out. I have found the staff to be friendly, efficient and eager to assist their guests. The main quality of the hotel lies in the value for money it provides as Washington is a very expensive city when it comes to hotels. This is a hotel I would always come back to if I fine myself in Washington again and one I would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank smrgeog
, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Greetings! It is great to hear that you had such a nice experience with us! I feel the same way when it comes to the value that our property provides. The location is ideal for seeing places like Georgetown and the National Mall. Many families also benefit from having kitchens in the suites and are able to utilize the nearby supermarkets like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market. I know that my family loved having the kitchen, especially grinding your own coffee beans! We look forward to having you stay with us again sometime. Thank you!