“Now One Of My Favorites”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #11 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed 2 weeks this July at the River Inn. It is now one of my favorites.

Its location is smack dab in the center of the Foggy Bottom area with a convenient Metro center. I felt more safe and more comfortable in this area than in Georgetown or Dupont Circle. Perhaps because it is smaller, more compact and blended in with George Washington University and a more student population. Lots and lots of varied eateries in this area....with a Whole Foods market and deli available and a Trader Joes as well.

Accomodations were all suites; either a large studio-style suite with kichen, or a 1-Br suite with kitchen.....I think it was bigger than my fist rental apartment. All very comfortable. I understand they will be starting some renovations, so it can only get better. The staff was outstanding. We had group of 35 people and they handled the rooms well. Everyone was pleased.

Transportation by Metro is the best, but the desk can call for a cab quickly also. One great attribute is that their in-house restaurant Dish is excellent. Do not overlook this gem if you are staying there. I eat well throughout the world, and I rate this as one of my favorites.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chinochito
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thanks for writing such a nice review! Our location really is spectacular, and we blend in nicely with the surrounding neighborhood of Foggy Bottom. I lived in this area for nearly two years, I love how safe it is and the proximity of the grocery stores and restaurants! Our guests love how large the rooms are here, I'm glad you enjoyed them as well! Thank you also for your compliments on our staff and the Dish + Drinks restaurant. We look forward to your next visit to The River Inn!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Nice, large rooms, staff is super friendly,helpful and easy to talk to. 15 minutes walk to the capitol mall. Strange to have the torn leather headboards(???) above the bed but otherwise a super nice room. Not cheap but for the location and size of the rooms it was a steal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Hello there, thank you for reviewing The River Inn! Guests love our spacious suites and always have the nicest things to say about our staff. The hotel is very close to local attractions such as the National Mall, Georgetown, and the Metro, which is very appealing to our guests. I'm sorry that you encountered a worn headboard during your stay, but just so you know we had all of our headboards replaced shortly after your April visit. That was step one of our renovation process, with the rest taking place later in the fall. We would love to have you come back and stay with us again! Thanks again for your visit to The River Inn, and we look forward to seeing you again someday.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We've stayed at the River Inn several times over that past few years. The rooms are large, and they have kitchens, so you can make your own coffee and store your leftovers from the wonderful Indian restaurant (Aroma) not far away, or the Peruvian restaurant or Founding Farmers. It's a short walk to the subway (and the new Whole Food Market) and not too far from the Corcoran and the Phillips Collection. While we usually skip the breakfast, the small restaurant in the hotel is very good and it has some really good William Wegman photographs on the walls. It took me a while to recognized that the photograph opposite the elevator is by the well-known Brazilian artist Vik Muniz, and there are a few other contemporary art works in the building. I find it quite a stylish place. Oh, yes, easy free wifi.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OutofKansas

Wow, it sounds like you've gotten to know both The River Inn and DC as a whole very well during your travels! There are a lot of food options nearby for our guests, whether it is for groceries or getting a nice dinner from the restaurants in Georgetown and Foggy Bottom. The kitchenettes in our suites are indeed very handy for leftovers and making your own meals as well. It's great that you've been able to enjoy Dish + Drinks in the lobby too! I'm glad that you pointed out museums such as the Phillips Collection and the Corcoran Gallery, they are hidden gems that many of our guests don't know about. Also, I'm happy that you enjoyed the various art pieces that are located throughout our hotel! I hope you had the chance to check out the Foggy Bottom Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit as well, with two pieces being right at The River Inn ("Curve" out front and "Dark Sun" on the side of our building). We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a small hotel in DC in a quiet neighborhood with easy Metro access and only about a 10 minute walk from the Lincoln Memorial end of the Mall. Rooms are large and comfortable if a bit dated though a remodel is apparently in the works for this fall. Staff were very helpful and friendly; overall an excellent value. We will stay here again next time we are in DC.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words about The River Inn! We are in a great location with the Metro just steps away, and the National Mall being so close. The surrounding neighborhood really adds to the ambiance as well! Also, thank you for the nice comments on our staff. I'm sorry that you found the rooms to be a little dated, but as you stated we will be having some renovations done this fall. So, that means you'll have to come back and visit us again soon! We look forward to your next stay at The River Inn.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Booked on Priceline for $125 for one night. Not too bad considering events going on in the city. The staff was nice and the location is very quaint. The room was huge and clean. The kitchen was dated, but not bad

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GoHatters
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Greetings, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at The River Inn! We take a lot of pride in our staff and guest services, and many guests are attracted to the hotel due to its great location in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. It really is a nice break from being in a "city" environment! I hope you have the opportunity to visit the hotel again sometime, especially since we will be undergoing renovations soon. Thank you for your kind words, and we look forward to another stay by you at The River Inn!

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Okay, so the decor is a little 80's. You'll live. In fact, you won't care. Amazing spacious rooms with kitchenettes, spotless, impeccable service, great restaurant and bar. I'd go back just for the bar. The staff was wonderfully accommodating, especially helpful when we arrived in the pouring rain and needed to get my dad, who walks carefully and with a cane, safely indoors and to his room. Great location. Plan to stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank FitsinOverheadBin

Hello there, and thank you for your review on The River Inn! I'm glad that you enjoyed all the space, comfort, and amenities our hotel has to offer. It's great that you also had the chance to check out Dish + Drinks, our in-house restaurant and bar. As for our staff, they do whatever they can to help our guests, so I'm happy they were especially accommodating upon your family's arrival. Just so you know, we will be undergoing renovations this coming fall, so our decor will soon be different. You'll have to come back and see all the changes sometime! Thanks again for choosing The River Inn.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My primary reason for choosing the River Inn was its location: it's in the heart of the quaint Foggy Bottom neighborhood, is close to Georgetown, is within walking distance of the river, and is less than a five minute walk away from the Foggy Bottom metro stop (which is right on the Blue Line that runs from the airport and includes stops along the National Mall). From there we were able to experience all of the sights that DC has to offer--I highly recommend becoming familiar with the city's metro system, as DC really does have a phenomenal public transportation system, and if you're able to work it like we were, you can save a lot of dough on cab fare or airport shuttles. My boyfriend and I are runners so we also enjoyed being able to make our way down to the river for an early morning run each day--which is a really gorgeous run (or walk) if you're into that! I was also intrigued by the fact that the hotel offers complimentary two-hour bicycle reservations, which is another great way to tour the city. The kitchenette is also convenient if you plan on staying for a few days, and there is a Whole Foods within walking distance. Overall, the accommodations were good, the staff was friendly, and you really can't beat the price for DC!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shannon B
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thanks for your great review of The River Inn! The location is what draws many of our guests. The hotel is so convenient to the sights, as well as the public transportation. The Metro is very handy and relatively easy to use, so I'm glad you were able to utilize it during your stay. Also, thanks for mentioning the proximity of the hotel to local trails. We get a lot of runners that stay here, so they appreciate learning about the trails that go along the Potomac River and Rock Creek! The kitchens in the suites are great, and we have both the Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's nearby so guests can stock up on groceries! Please come back and see us again sometime at The River Inn.