“Good.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Sydney, Australia
“Good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We bought it with discount coupon stating that it is a 4 star hotel. However it doesn't feel like a 4 star due to the run down feel of the building and decor. However, it was still a comfortable stay. Our room was clean. Big room. Comfortable bed. Location is good, only a couple of turns to the metro.
The bike hire was complimentary, but they sure were basic bikes, not very comfortable to ride at all. Breakfast was... Sufficient. It was free after all. I, however, would not pay for that breakfast.
Service was good. Front desk very friendly.
Feel indifferent about the hotel. Wasn't fantastic for me to come again, but definitely nothing deterring me from going back again either.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Greetings! Thank you for your recent visit to The River Inn. I am glad to hear that you had a very comfortable stay with us! Our guests always have the nicest things to say about our beds, and they have even asked what kind of mattresses we use so they can get one themselves! Location wise, we are in the perfect spot for walking to the sites or for using the Metro system. I'm also happy that you were able to use our complimentary bike service, DC is a very bike friendly city and it is one of the best ways to view the sites! My apologies that you felt our decor was not up to par. However, later this fall we will be undergoing renovations, so I hope with that, along with our great service and friendly staff, you will be tempted to visit us again sometime! Thank you again for your review on The River Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

This is a very good hotel, just a few minutes walk to the White house and the National mall.
There are good restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. The room was big, they have free wifi. the only drawback was that there was no breakfast included in the room price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello there, and thank you for your kind words about The River Inn! We are in the perfect location for visitors to DC. Our guests love the short walk to the White House, the National Mall, and the local retaurants and nightlife that Foggy Bottom and Georgetown provide! Our suites are a great size as well, especially for visiting families and business travellers that need the space for work. You are correct in that breakfast is an additional charge, however for your next stay you are more than welcome to call our reservations department directly to have your breakfast included with the room rate. We look forward to your next visit!
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

The hotel is situated in a largely residential neighborhood, close to transportation and a few restaurants. Trader Joe's is a short walk, and several small bar//grills close by. Spacious clean room with full kitchen. Restaurant was good, but not overly so...a little pricey for what it was. 6 southwest of hotel is the wharf, which features some great seafood and atmosphere along the river. Georgetown shops are a short distance from this area.You will find the room decor slightly dated, but they are starting renovations, I've heard, this fall....but very clean and comfortable.
Location is fantastic to see the sites or get onto a Metro or Hop-On, Hop-Off bus.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are on a colonial looking walk-up type street. Some minor noise from GW Hospital...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review on The River Inn! We are known for our great location in the Foggy Bottom historic district, as well as the proximity to local restaurants and attractions. I am glad that you got to explore the shops of Georgetown and the waterfront. We are also very close to the Metro system, as well as stops for the hop on hop off bus tours. You are correct in that we will be going through renovations later this fall, so I hope you come back soon to see our new suites! Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you return to The River Inn.
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Gret botique hotel. Junior suite with great bathroom all marble. There's a full lichen and enough space for 2 and our 3 year old son. Parking is expensive so we moved the car once after the 2 hr limit and parked on K street near the AMC theatre. It was only $8 with ticket validated from the movie theatre. We found parking around the corner from the hotel and parking is free on the weekends so we will just walk until we leave to go home. The Dish restaurant downstairs is convenient and tasty. It a bit expensive.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Hi! Thank you very much for your nice review on The River Inn! I am glad to hear that you and your family really enjoyed your stay. Families love to stay in our suites, and the kitchens really help if you don't want to eat out all the time! Also, thanks for visiting our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks. The food is great and it is very convenient to have on site! We hope that you return to us sometime soon, we look forward to your next visit!
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

This hotel was reasonably priced, in a great location and the staff was nice. However, I found someone elses things in a drawer, pistachio shells on the floor and the bathroom glasses were dirty even though they were presented as being clean. I complained and they gave us complimentary valet one night, but after seeing those things I was suspicious that everything was dirty. I was worried about our toddler touching things and wanted to buy some Lysol! Also, I found the shells after they promised to get it really clean. I didn't complain again because it seemed pointless. Our friends said that their room had a leak.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Smart_traveler8
BrittanyFOS, Front Office Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Greetings, and thank you for your recent visit to The River Inn. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and your interactions with our staff. I am sad to hear about what happened with your suite upon arrival, I am very sorry that you found it in those conditions. This feedback has been passed on to our housekeeping department to ensure that it does not happen again. Please don't think that mentioning the shells after the fact would have been pointless, we are always appreciative of any feedback, we just want to make sure that you are comfortable during your stay. You mentioned that your friends had a leak in the room, I hope they informed the front desk staff so that we could get it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again at The River Inn, especially since we are getting renovated this fall (please come back and see all the changes!).
Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here for one night. Rate was 200 dollars including 35 for parking the car. This is quite a lot of money but maybe not too much for DC.

Room was roomy, clean, nice, bathroom too. There is a small kitchen with a microwave, coffee-maker, plates et cetera. You can cook and save some money instead of going to a restaurant. We watched the opening ceremony of the olympic games. Really good tv-set.

Neighborhood is nice, old houses, makes you feel goed. Close-by are a few shops at the subway station. You can walk from the hotel to Georgetown as well.

Breakfast wasn't available as far as I could see.

So: if this would be the only hotel left in DC: go there, pay the bill and it's allright.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello there, and thank you for the nice review on The River Inn! I'm glad that you enjoyed having the kitchen in the room, many of the families that stay here find it to be very convenient. Our location works out really well, since we are so close to a lot of the local sites including Georgetown and the Metro. Breakfast is available for purchase at our in-house restaurant, Dish + Drinks. Their hours are Monday-Friday 7am-10am and 8am-11am on the weekends. If you stay with us again, please inquire about having breakfast included with your room rate, you are able to get breakfast for two that way! We thank you again for your recent visit, and we hope to hear from you soon at The River Inn!
Washington DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I see many great reviews and for some elements I agree. it is a great location and the room was more than adequate - linen, towels, space etc. unfortunalty the lack of service was the sad side. After a horrible 12 hour journey and arriving just before 9pm, I hoped to be able to still get dinner in the restaurant. Unfortunalty the restaurant was closed on Sundays. I thought perhaps a drink and snack at the bar: no bar service on Sundays. I said not to worry I would have room service. There is no room service on a Sunday, Reception staff were very helpful and directed me to walk a few blocks to a bar that would be doing bar meals. I do not know the area, and although a mature lady, not so sure about walking around the streets alone late in the evening. To pay $173 just for a bed for the night, was not value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello there, and thank you for your recent visit to The River Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed the suite itself, as well as the location of the hotel. I am sorry to hear that the Dish + Drinks restaurant in the hotel did not meet your needs upon arrival. The restaurant is open Monday-Friday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; Saturday for breakfast and dinner; and Sunday for breakfast only. When the restaurant is closed, there is also no access to the bar and room service. I am glad that the front desk was able to direct you to some of the restaurants in the area, there are many to pick from and most within walking distance. I hope you discovered one of the neighborhood gems! Please don't let this experience deter you from returning to us one day. We are looking forward to your next visit at The River Inn!