“Still the best for DC visits!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #11 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Tennessee
“Still the best for DC visits!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We returned to the River Inn in June with family and had another great experience! You just can't beat the quality service and the perfect location of this hotel. We stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed the easy walk to the Metro and Georgetown, meals at DISH and the convenience of a kitchen area for making coffee and snacking. The staff were helpful and quick to respond to any request. Still the only place to stay when in DC, we will be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TN_Traveler61
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you for your loyalty and for coming back time and time again; I’m glad you had great experience. Our location is one of the kind. So quiet, yet in the heart of Washington DC., walking distance to the metro, Georgetown, the National Mall and many more places. I am proud of our restaurant Dish+Drinks as they serve some of the best dishes in the Nation’s Capital. Thank again for your loyalty and for the great review, we can’t wait to have the opportunity to host you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Metro Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I would like to give up my home and live full-time at the River Inn. This is of course a daydream. Lived in the two room Potamac Suite for seven nights and eight days. I did not like looking at the dated stove, but no matter because the appliance was sparkling clean and worked fine. There were not granite countertops in the kitchen, but so what, it was clean, fridge and microwave worked fine. A little fairy would pull the ice cubes from the tray and transfer them into a bin plus refill the trays each day.
The air conditioner was stuffy..called and a tech came up in 5-minutes and it was cool again. Adrianna/front desk called me to let me know my suite was ready. Nina/assistant head honcho, I think, fielded all of my concern emails about staying in a non- Marriott property and made sure I had a nice view of the city to chill out after a long conference day. It may be a marketing tool, but it felt good to be welcomed "home" each time I walked in the door.
I am in heaven. What a terrific place nestled among the row house brown stones. I know my only complaint cannot be helped, but paying $40 to park is just unacceptable. . .was advised very nicely that parking is a premium in DC. I just hunted everyday for a street parking space and sharpened my parallel parking skills.
Ramblin...OK here is the deal. Stay here at the River Inn. Ask for a high floor. Know that the staff, every single one of them, seemed genuinely interested that I was happy. Heaven on earth. Did I say that I don't drink coffee but chose to do so as there were real fresh coffee beans and a grinder? How kool is that? Name brand dishwashing detergent as Anal Anna did not wish to leave dishes for the housekeeping staff to wash. Paper towels to use for napkins or clean-up. *btw---could not afford to eat out every meal, so I WALKED to Trader Joes for food to cook or warm in the full, clean, kitchen.*

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing the city/condos.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jean L
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Hello there, and thank you very much for choosing The River Inn for your business visit to DC! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm also delighted to hear that you relish the size of our Potomac Suite. I find them to be very spacious and homey, and the kitchen as well. Many guests find the kitchen to be very convenient, especially if you're traveling for week and don't want to eat out as much, we all know how expensive it can be. Once again thank you for your review and we wish to have the opportunity to host you again in the future visit to DC.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Traveled to DC for college visits with our son. The River Inn is in a great location on a quiet street. Walk to the Metro, and close to everything. The rooms are a little dated, but clean and spacious, with full kitchens. The staff were great! Very welcoming, helpful and friendly. Dish restaurant, located in the lobby is excellent! I would definitely stay here again when visiting DC.

1 Thank julesverne3
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to The River Inn! I hope the college visit with your son went well in the Nation’s Capital. It’s nice to know you like our quiet location as it’s two blocks away from the metro, restaurants , The Monuments, Museums and many other attractions . It’s great to have a kitchen even if you don't cook; knowing it’s there is very comforting. Thank you for your comments on our great staff, they do all they can to ensure that you enjoy your stay! We can’t wait to host you again on your next visit to Washington, DC.
Madison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We recently stayed over July 4th weekend and we had a wonderful experience there. As other reviewers have pointed out it is on a nice quiet street but is also an easy walk to the Metro. We loved the fact that the rooms have kitchens and a seating area and we enjoyed picking up some great cheeses and wines from Trader Joe's (right down the street) and enjoying them in our rooms before heading out for the evening. It was also nice to be able to make breakfast in your room. It was the first time I ever had coffee beans and a grinder in a hotel room! The beds are very comfy and the hotel is nice and quiet so sleeping was blissful! The best thing however was the excellent customer service! We were greeted as we stepped out of our car and welcomed to the hotel. I immediately inquired about parking, trying to see if it was possible to park on the street and avoid the hotel parking charge ( which was high but typical for the area). I was given advice on where to best find a spot and since it was the weekend we parked the whole time for free! The doorman was also incredibly nice but Michael at the front desk was amazing!!! I had an issue with the price I paid for the room through Expedia and Michael helped me work it out! So very, very impressed with The River Inn and can't wait to return!!

1 Thank Terry90210
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Greetings!
It sounds like you all had great time with us, Which we love to hear at The River Inn. It’s wonderful knowing that you have enjoyed having a kitchen in your suite as both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are within two walking blocks. The staff will be thrilled when they hear about the exceptional job they have done. I want to thank you for your great review and we can’t wait to see you again IN the Nation’s Capital.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

River Inn was awesome. Loved the neighborhood atmosphere. Great room, great price with even better service. Was our 1st trip to DC & we were clueless. Was like another world. Will & the rest of the staff were so helpful, they went above and beyond for us. We wont even think about staying anywhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank michellenlynng
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hello!
Thank you for your review. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us here at The River Inn; you sound ecstatic. It’s very gratifying to hear that we were a part of your first trip to Washington, DC and that our staff went above and beyond (especially Will). Once again thank you for your review and for not even thinking of staying anywhere else. 
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was the perfect hotel for my parents and I. We loved the location. The hotel was on a quiet street right in the heart of Dc, two blocks from the metro and good restaurants. We loved how cozy the beds were and how the rooms have kitchens for easy food prep if you don't want to spend the money going out all the time. I sleep on the pull out bed and that was even comfortable!! The pool at their sister property was lovely! Whenever we come back we will stay here!

1 Thank skichels
Kacem O, Front Desk Supervisor at The River Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Hello!
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you and your parents enjoyed your stay here with us at The River Inn. I am glad to hear that our quiet location suited your needs. It is good to hear that you took the advantage of our kitchen as I do agree with you on how expensive eating out can be. I want to thank you again for your review and for coming back to us next time you in Washington DC.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

To start, Cody and Kacem were phenomenal. I forgot shaving cream - took care of it immediately. My flight was delayed a day - booked me hassle free day of. The two gentlemen always had a confident and welcoming smile on. I was checking out and leaving for the airport at 2pm - of course they were on point and had a cabbie ready and greeting me by name upon check out. Hands down, 100% professional and a pleasure to be helped by.

The two ladies who work the concierge were really pretty.

The room and cleaning staff always had a smile on. Who keeps a smile on while doing dirty laundry? River Inn staff does. The larger African American gentleman made friends with me and laughed at my jokes just to humor me. Told a few himself also. Every time I ran into him he was working hard and smiling.

The atmosphere at the Dish, their hotel restaurant, was great. The service was great; the servers were not, however. The bartender's slurred babbling really hid his sobriety well. And in between the two prostitutes, who were not up to par with River Inn standards, you could hear the young male waiter hollering, 'someone check to see what the women in the pink sweater wants, she's getting feisty,' right in front of the women in the pink sweater. The bartender up-sold me in a rather smooth manner, and I loved him for it. His drinks were delicious, his word choice was a little too.. aggressive.

Overall, I'm definitely coming back based on the house customer service. I was provided 24/7 reassurance during a busy week. That alone is worth every penny. River Inn will be my recommended DC hotel from here on out. Also, it should be noted that I stayed at the Melrose a couple nights prior to the River Inn. Their staff was horrendous, once again, horrendouss compared to the River Inn.

Thank you to those who were on point all the time. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Seems as if the it was a condominium building turned hotel. My room had a full size refrigerator and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you truly had a fantastic time at The River Inn and we’re really happy we had the opportunity to accommodate you during your work visit to Washington, DC. I want to thank you again for your review, praises, and for recommending us to the world; please come back and see us soon.