“Great stay for Spring Break”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #14 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Great service from check in to check out. Staff helped with getting us settled in for a long week. Close to the Metro made getting around town easy. Near by Trader Joe's and Whole Foods gave us breakfast and dinner options. The double room and small kitchen was just right for us. Will stay there again next time in D. C.

3  Thank Joe M
ModusHotels, General Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Greetings Joe M!

Thank you so much for spending time with us during your Spring Break getaway! I am so thrilled that our team was helpful in making your stay a comfortable one and that you settled in nicely! It is so nice to see that the surrounding neighborhood was able to provide what you needed for a well-stocked stay! Please know we are now your home away from home when your travels bring you back to the area! Our residentially styled guest rooms are perfect for any length of stay so we look forward to seeing you soon!

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for The River Inn

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Got a 2 double bed suite on the 7th floor with kitchenette & it was perfect. Large room and kitchen. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within 2 blocks to get food. Stylish hotel with the friendliest staff that are attentive to any needs 24 hours a day. Room was modern and clean along with a cool bar with restaurant and room service. Only 2 blocks to the Metro. Walking distance to National Mall and monuments and memorials. If we stay in DC again this will absolutely be the place. Location, price, cleanliness, spacious, friendly...what else could you want right in the heart of Foggy Bottom.

Room Tip: Gave 4 stars for sleep because rooms can be sometimes a little noisy when heat or AC is no in use bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mbaker1482

Dear mbaker 1482,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the River Inn! It is so great to see that your stay with us was a success! Thank you for the nice words about our team here as well. Our location really is so close to great shopping, the National Mall but nestled in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood so our guests may take advantage of the amazing local flair that surrounds us. Thank you again for the nice words and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My family and I were on a four day sightseeing visit to DC in mid March and had the good fortune of having selected The River Inn for our stay. First, a day before we arrived I received a personal email from their reservation specialist letting us know they were looking forward to our stay, thanking us for choosing TRI, and asking if there was anything else we needed prior to arriving. I've traveled plenty on business over the years and have stayed at 5 star hotels and resorts and never had the experience of receiving a personal welcoming email from a named individual prior to arrival. Needless to say, my first impressions were positive. I wrote back and asked if there might be anyway to allow us to check-in upon our arrival at about 11 AM because we were coming in on an early flight. Sure enough, when we arrived as scheduled and I identified who I was I was warmly welcomed by Ashley at the front desk and was told our room was all set. We were checked in by noon on the day of our arrival! This was very much appreciated as it allowed us a half day to begin our sightseeing to the museums and monuments. The location is excellent as you are within an easy walk to the Lincoln Memorial and museums. If you prefer to ride the metro, the Foggy Bottom station is only a couple of blocks away. The Inn is also located in a quiet (except for sirens) residential neighborhood, which gave it a nice secure feel. The room was spacious, and having a small kitchen helped for morning coffee and early evening cocktails. All in all it was a pleasant experience. The service was terrific and there was always a willingness by the staff to assist if needed. We certainly will choose to stay at TRI again on any future visits to DC.

3  Thank Don M

Greetings Don M!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at the River Inn! I am so thrilled that we were able to make your visit with us an excellent one. We take such pride focusing on the details of our guests stay with us; it is so nice to see that we were able to impact your stay in such a positive way. I look forward to sharing your words with the team and I am sure they will be most pleased to hear your stay was wonderful. Thank you so much once again and we look forward to your return!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently stayed here with my son while touring colleges. It is located right by GW but on a very nice, quiet residential street. We were upgraded to a fantastic suite on the top floor with great views. I needed to stay in the room and work for much of the day and it was lovely. The staff is friendly and helpful. Everything is done very tastefully and the beds, even the sofabed, was comfortable. Nice modern bath as well. Whole Foods and Starbucks close by, as well as a number of good restaurants. The fitness room is small, the "business center" is basically a closet with a computer, and the internet was slow at times, but overall a great hotel that I definitely consider a find and will look forward to staying at again.

3  Thank Jill S
ModusHotels, General Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Jill S!

Thank you so much for spending time with us at The River Inn! It is wonderful to see that your stay was a pleasant one and that you found our team to be so friendly and helpful. Glad you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our suites. They are so spacious and truly allow our guests to spread out and make themselves at home! Thank you again for sharing and we all look forward to your return!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

From the very beginning, our stay at River Inn was delightful. Arriving in a light rain from the Metro, we were greeted by one of the most helpful and cheerful people one could ever met at the front desk: Ashley!! Since the day was cold, rainy and a bit dark, her smile and her special efforts in giving us a beautiful room with a view were greatly appreciated. All the staff like her and Will made every trip through the lobby a pleasure. The first night we ate in the hotel and had wonderful dishes and a Beignet dessert that would make New Orleans envious.
The location is perfect, 5 minutes from the Metro which can take you anywhere so a rental car was never required, a 15 minute walk to the Lincoln Monument and all the wonders of Smithsonian and the Mall makes for another nice option. If you would like to bring a meal back to the room, Whole Foods Grocery (only 4 blocks away) with their buffet and other options makes for a delicious and easy offering if you are not wanting to do the restaurant scene.
The room was spacious and nicely decorated, the beds so comfortable and the kitchen was fully equipped, even having whole bean coffee and grinder for the freshest coffee anytime you wanted!
The River Inn will be our choice again when we return to DC in May. I could not hope for a better stay and more delightful group of people taking care of us during our stay.

Room Tip: Leave it up to Ashley!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike K
ModusHotels, General Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Hello Mike K!

Just wanted to thank you for the fantastic comments and of course spending time with us at the River Inn! I know we have been in touch since your most recent visit but please know we are now your home away from home when your travels bring you back to DC. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when you choose to visit so I can personally ensure your stay with us is phenomenal!

All the best!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The exterior of this hotel is not fancy but the interior is understated elegance. My room was a large suite with a good, studio-sized kitchen. The coffee provided was really tasty. The bed was fine and the HVAC quiet. While located in a Georgetown residential neighbor (quiet and safe) the hotel was just three blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop I used for my business travel. Right next to the Metro stop is a Whole Foods Market where you can stock the kitchen. A short walk downhill is the Kennedy Performing Arts Center where my wife and I enjoyed a performance. The staff was very helpful. I will use this hotel again while in DC so long as I'm on expense account and my employer is paying. As you might expect, downtown DC hotels are very expensive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Rudybaga

Greetings Rudybaga!

I cannot thank you enough for spending time with us at the River Inn and for your incredibly nice words. As we are a residentially styled property our guest rooms truly offer great space for our guests. We strive for that home away from home feeling and with our attentive team here and amazing location it is wonderful to see that your stay went so wonderfully. We really are so close to the best DC has to offer and all of our guests get to enjoy the beautiful city but return to the River Inn at the end of the day to unwind. Thank you once again for sharing and we look forward to hosting you again!

Best,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was completely satisfied with our stay at The River Inn. The rooms are comfortable with a small, highly efficient kitchen complete with whole coffee beans and grinder for killer java. It is centrally located in Foggy Bottom-short walk to surrounding restaurants and stores as well as the Metro. Also an easy stroll down to the Lincoln Memorial/Washington monument and memorials surrounding the reflecting pool. Friendly, helpful staff will direct you and provide a map. On site restaurant, DISH, is excellent. Room service was prompt and the breakfast was delicious including sunflower studded toast that is wonderful. Biggest drawback is no self parking but the valet service for the hotel is more economical and convenient than surrounding parking buildings. The main reason I looked at staying here was the reasonable cost but I would return for the wonderful ambiance, not easy to find in a overcrowded city like DC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CarlyCMS

Dear CarlyCMS,

Thank you for spending time with us at the River Inn and for sharing your thoughts as well! It seems all the little details that we like to offer our guests made the stay special for you! I am so thrilled that your visit with us was a successful one. We really do strive to create a warm and welcoming ambience that allows you to escape from the busy city. There is so much so close that if you need to delve back in, we are literally steps from amazing dining and shopping. Looking forward to sharing with the team here. All will be so pleased that they were able to take part in making your stay with us a special one. Thank you once again and please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to the area.