“Let themselves down”
Review of The River Inn

The River Inn
Ranked #11 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel on booking.com and gave our credit card as guarantee. We arrived at 7pm. We were told that since "another group" had decided to stay longer we had been moved to another establishment 1 mile further out of town. We visited the other establishment which was very poor and on top a fast food establishment. The attitude of the receptionist at River Inn was unsympathetic and bordering on hostile. The word "sorry" wasn't even used until I had said I would leave and stay elsewhere. Although we returned and stayed the next day and the hotel is well appointed I have to warn visitors that the hotel has a very poor attitude with regard to honouring their bookings.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank TomZunder
ModusHotels, General Manager at The River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear TomZunder,

Thank you for reaching out in regards to your experience with us. I would like to apologize first and foremost for the clear lapse in communication and even more so for the level of hospitality you experienced. Our team here truly thrives in creating amazing experiences for our guests and I am so sorry that we let you down. It would be an honor to host you once again and restore your faith in us. Please let me now when your travels bring you back to the area as I would like to personally ensure your stay with us is a phenomenal one.

Thank you once again.

Lee Seiler
The River Inn
202-337-7600
lseiler@modushotelsdc.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,786)

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I chose this hotel based on experience from reviewers like you for our first family trip to Washington DC for spring break. We needed a nice comfortable place, convenient location for touring, access to public transportation, ample food options, plenty of room for all of us, and something in a nice area that was fairly priced. The River Inn is all of these. Enough said about the convenience of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. That was terrific to have them so close and both great stores. We arrived close to 11 pm but had no problem checking in. Both Kylie and Dirk at the front desk were warm and friendly and accommodated our every need including a separate rollaway bed since my girls didn't want to share the pull out sofa. We had a king suite so there was a surprisingly large amount of space and no crowding. Although the building is older as is much of the neighborhood, the interior spaces are upgraded and well maintained with up to date tasteful furnishings. The rooms are well furnished and pleasantly decorated. The sturdy furniture and carpet is in great shape and the bed was super comfy with lots of pillows. The lighting is great with dimmers and charging sockets on all the table lamps and there are huge mirrors in each room. Lots of windows and bright lights make it a cheery and comfortable place. The shower head is really cool, a large rainfall head with good pressure. Lots of storage room and a closet safe too. There were two large flat screen tvs. The housekeeping service was outstanding and unobtrusive. The new wifi installed last week will probably blow the doors off the one you have at home. I clocked it at 35 Mbps download and 35 Mbps upload using speedtest.net. Plenty of bandwidth for uploading all those photos and streaming movies. It was nice to grind some coffee (provided but I brought my own Peets Italian dark roast) the night before and set up the machine in the kitchenette and turn it on the morning before anyone else was up and have a cup in bed while I checked my emails.

What could have been better? Well, the walls are not soundproof being an older building. We heard our neighbors late the first night but after that most everyone was very considerate and quiet. The heaters which we used the first few evenings were noisy as mentioned by many. On Mon morning the garbage trucks pull up and pick up the bin and drop it to wake everyone up on the block. I think on Thur another one came but it was a bit later after we had gotten up. But the area is very quiet after dark but if you walk to Georgetown or the area near the metro you can find a few places still hopping.

It was nice being greeted by my name upon return in the evenings. We had an early morning checkout and the prearranged taxi was waiting for us. This is a place I can highly recommend and will definitely come back here. This place listens to us here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Karasdad

Hello Karasdad!

All I can say is the pleasure was all ours. I know for a fact that our whole team truly enjoyed having you as our guest and your family truly made an impact on us. It was such a pleasure to chat with you and our whole team is so happy that your stay with us was a fantastic one! Thank you for the kind words and thank you for the valuable feedback as well. Please know you now have a home away from home when your travels bring you back to the area and it would an absolute pleasure to have you as our guest once again. Thank you for the opportunity to host you and so looking forward to doing so again!

All the best!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a great hotel for travelling families, some rooms have their own kitchen and the hotel is around the corner from Trader Joe's and other restaurants. Added bonus it has a coin operated laundry.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jed T

Hello Jed T!

Thank you making the River Inn your hotel of choice when visiting DC! We truly are a fan favorite especially with traveling families. With our spacious guest rooms and close proximity to great shopping and dining, our guests have an easy time making the River in their home away from home! Thanks for spending time with us hope to see you very soon!

Take care!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

After researching many hotels, we had to cancel our April 2013 trip to DC with friends. We were pleased to be able to book rooms again at River Inn and the hotel more than met our expectations. Our friend requested corner rooms, if available, and we were pleasantly surprised to walk into a one bedroom "apartment" with a kitchenette, dining area, living room with views of the Potomac, and separate bedroom. While the bathroom was tiny, there was a well-lit area in the hallway with counter and mirror so my husband and I both could get dressed at the same time. The staff was excellent -- efficient, personable, helpful. Kiley at the front desk answered all questions and made great recommendations; Dirk, her supervisor, gave us a late checkout without hesitation; the doorman, whose name I forgot, was personable and extremely helpful. We arrived on a Sunday morning before check-in time and before our room was ready. We left our luggage in our car, which we were parking at the hotel, and began our exploration of DC. When the room was ready, the staff moved all our belongings from the car to our room and called us to let us know it had been done! The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Foggy Bottom Metro stop as well as many good restaurants. Although there is a dining room available 6 days/week, having a kitchen allowed us to enjoy a light breakfast in the room before venturing out. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are not far away. We will return!

Room Tip: The corner rooms are the biggest with a separate bedroom. We understand all accommodations are suite...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank French2163

Hello French2163!

Thank you so much for spending time with us at The River Inn! I am so pleased that our residentially styled guest room created a comfortable stay for you! They really are quite spacious and allow our guests to spread out creating that true home away from home feeling. It is so nice to see that our team here took such good care as well. Our team thrives on creating memorable stays and I am elated to see that great recommendations were made and that you were made to feel special. Mission accomplished!
Thank you once again and please keep us on mind when your travels bring you back to the area!

Best,

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed at the River Inn some 6 years ago and had a very good experience so chose to stay here again on this short business + weekend trip. There were some hiccups in my stay as the reservation dates got mixed up for some reason - but I only found that out when I called to see if I could arrive a day early and was told that I had been expected the week earlier and down as a no show. However the reservations person told me I could stay and would have the quiet room on the upper floors as requested - unfortunately when I arrived, the only room available was on the first floor - next to the elevator, fitness room and meeting rooms. Not quiet at all and also somewhat dark and a little worse for wear. The staff promised to move me the next day - which they duly did. From this experience I can recommend that you do not stay on the first floor if you want a quiet room!
My room on the 7th floor was what I had hoped for- large, light, very comfortable ( great bed and comfy sofa)- good internet though signal a bit weak at times, it was fine for my work and the desk space is good with good lighting. The bathroom has a full bath, which I always appreciate and also a very good mirror and lighting for putting in lenses, make up etc. - not a common feature in most hotels.
The Kitchenette has the basics and they provide a coffee grinder and coffee beans but to be honest, I prefer a high roast coffee which I could get at the Whole foods nearby . I had been given breakfast vouchers to make up for my poor experience on the first night ( I omitted to mention that there were several other hitches apart from the room - bedside light not working, no coffee machine etc.) and did have breakfast one morning in the hotel, which was very nice - I preferred to have my own granola, yoghurt and coffee in my suite.
The Dish restaurant is very good - really, this is not just another bland hotel restaurant , it is well worth trying.
As other reviewers have commented - the staff are all lovely - the whole team: Will, Kiley, Choros, Dirk and Ashley make you feel special and valued. Always willing to help, advise and smile . See you all soon I hope!

Room Tip: Not the first floor and request a room on 7 or 8th floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rafiki99

Hello Rafiki99!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your time spent with us. I do apologize for the lapse communication and service you experience upon your arrival. I am happy to see that our team was able to rectify and create a pleasant stay for you. Great feedback and I will certainly share with the team here. Thank you as well for taking a moment to mention those on the team that took such good care. I know they will be elated when I share with them. All the best to you and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Best,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Great service from check in to check out. Staff helped with getting us settled in for a long week. Close to the Metro made getting around town easy. Near by Trader Joe's and Whole Foods gave us breakfast and dinner options. The double room and small kitchen was just right for us. Will stay there again next time in D. C.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Joe M

Greetings Joe M!

Thank you so much for spending time with us during your Spring Break getaway! I am so thrilled that our team was helpful in making your stay a comfortable one and that you settled in nicely! It is so nice to see that the surrounding neighborhood was able to provide what you needed for a well-stocked stay! Please know we are now your home away from home when your travels bring you back to the area! Our residentially styled guest rooms are perfect for any length of stay so we look forward to seeing you soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Got a 2 double bed suite on the 7th floor with kitchenette & it was perfect. Large room and kitchen. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within 2 blocks to get food. Stylish hotel with the friendliest staff that are attentive to any needs 24 hours a day. Room was modern and clean along with a cool bar with restaurant and room service. Only 2 blocks to the Metro. Walking distance to National Mall and monuments and memorials. If we stay in DC again this will absolutely be the place. Location, price, cleanliness, spacious, friendly...what else could you want right in the heart of Foggy Bottom.

Room Tip: Gave 4 stars for sleep because rooms can be sometimes a little noisy when heat or AC is no in use bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mbaker1482

Dear mbaker 1482,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the River Inn! It is so great to see that your stay with us was a success! Thank you for the nice words about our team here as well. Our location really is so close to great shopping, the National Mall but nestled in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood so our guests may take advantage of the amazing local flair that surrounds us. Thank you again for the nice words and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

All the best,