“Comfortable and Convenient”

Ranked #14 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“Comfortable and Convenient”
Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband and I took my cousin's family for a weekend trip to DC and decided to stay at the River Inn for its proximity to a metro station and the fact that I got a good rate for a suite hotel.

Check in was quick and efficient. Because we were staying for the weekend, the friendly check-in clerk told us that if we are able to find it, there are no restrictions for side street parking on the weekend, saving us the $30/day valet parking fee.

We booked two rooms, one for each family, and the space was more than enough. The queen sized bed and sofa bed was comfortable for my cousin and his family.

The room decor was pretty modern, in neutral tones. The bathroom had a low bathtub, so I didn't feel it'd be too comfortable for a soak. The little kitchen was sufficient to heat up food for simple meals. The single door fridge reminded me of the fridge in my first apartment, with a single cubicle for a freezer.

Location-wise, it was two blocks away from the Foggy Bottom-GWU metro (right in front of the GWU hospital) and we took it to go to the Smithsonian. I meant to check out the Trader Joe's, but we didn't have time, but there was a 7-11 on the way to the metro station to grab a bottle of water.

The only disappointment that I had was that their "24-hour fitness center" was a tiny room with a broken TV, a treadmill, an elliptical machine, and a stationary bike. There was also a door leading to a gutted room (that is probably the beginnings of a sauna?), which wasn't very attractive. I did use the filtered water machine in there though. Also, housekeeping seemed to be shortstaffed, as our room wasn't refreshed when we stopped by our room at 2pm, but that's not too big a deal for us. I didn't try the Dish Restaurant because it seemed a bit pricey (but the Ethiopian food in DC is great.!), though my husband did have a cup of coffee there the morning we left and had nothing bad to say about it.

I would probably seek to see what type of rate I'd get here the next time I plan a trip to DC. If it is comparable to what I paid for this time, I wouldn't hesitate to book.

• Liked — Suite was spacious and convenient
  • Disliked — Disappointing exercise ammenities
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank everfair

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 27 November 2008

My partner and I stayed at the River Inn during the first week of November 2008. The booking was made at the very last minute when we had arrived in Washington DC. Despite having booked many weeks earlier and having exchanged confirmation and time of arrival emails the week beforehand with the Carlyle Suites, when we arrived there they had no room for us. Having had a journey from the UK of over 20 hours in total, we were not impressed with this; we accepted the offer of one night in their sister hotel – which we had to pay for, which I think was ungenerous – we decided to find a hotel elsewhere as the hotel we were in was no where near a metro station and was far too far out of the centre of town to be of use to us.

What a different reception at the River Inn, and what a good example of how bad experiences can turn into something very good. We were delighted with the River Inn, it facilities, location and staff – all of which could not be faulted. The hotel is situated in leafy Georgetown, offers an excellent standard of suited accommodation. Without exception the hotel staff were friendly and helpful and we were made very welcome.

The hotel is two minutes walk from a metro station (George Washington University), is close to several stores and small, friendly bars.

Our room (suite) was spacious, light, vey clean and comfortable; the separate kitchen was very useful, as was the little vanity/dressing area outside the bathroom. Immaculate housekeeping every day and everything we needed for a great stay.

If I try very hard to find a fault, then the bathroom could have done with an update, and the lifts were quite often out of order – but this is being very picky indeed!

Highly recommended to all. We will certainly be going back on our next visit to a great city.

• Liked — Clean, spacious, light and airy accommodation; outstanding staff
  • Disliked — Bathroom could do with a make-over
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue020
Cary, NC
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Stayed at the River Inn because I was attending a conference at nearby George Washington University. I was very impressed with the room, spacious and well-equipped including a small kitchen. The location is fantastic, within walking distance of Georgetown and many DC sights; also two blocks away from GWU-Foggy Bottom metro stop. Room rate was very reasonable as well, especially by DC standards. I must confess that I did not need any service other than a wake up call, but I would definitely stay here again the next time I am in DC spending my own money.

• Stayed November 2008
2 Thank StevenAllen
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 14 November 2008

This hotel is conveniently located, and you get a good sized room with kitchen...which is good because the service in the restaurant is HORRIBLE. The place is understaffed and they can't seem to do the most common things without effort. Getting a second cup of coffee requires self-service and they are not well stocked -- no wheat bread for toast, no "to go" cups for coffee...AND I saw a cockroach on the continental breakfast bar. This place is a real disappointment and I would recommend avoiding it.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank KaneoheBoy
Lexington,Ky
Reviewed 8 November 2008

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in November. For the positives-the hotel was in a nice location. It was quiet at night while we were there and it was a short walk to the metro station. The staff was friendly and helpful when we asked questions. Unfortunately staff and location are the only things above average here. The hotel is definitely showing signs of age. Our room was clean, but there was a large crack running across the bathroom ceiling, and the wallpaper was faded and peeling. The bed was the smallest bed I have ever seen in a hotel room. Staff insisted it was a queen, but it looked and felt like a full size bed. After struggling to sleep the first night, we asked if they had any rooms with king beds. We were told they did, but they were all 1 bedroom suites and were well over $200 a night. You would think since they had vacant rooms they might be willing to upgrade us or give us a discount since we were already staying there, but no dice. It was a good thing the hotel was near the metro station, since we did not want to take our car out and risk having to pay for parking while sightseeing when the hotel was already charging us $30 A NIGHT FOR PARKING! RIDICULOUS! The room did have a small kitchen, which in our room was just big enough for you to turn around in. It looked a little dated too, but would be handy for cooking small meals.
All in all, this is just a place to stay, nothing special. And once you add the price of the room and parking per night, I am sure there are other places just as good or better. If we return to the Washington area again, we will stay somewhere outside of the city but close to a metro line. It was a safe and easy way to get around and there is no reason to pay overinflated prices to stay in average places inside the city.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overpriced, needs cosmetic work
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wildcorndogs
Livermore, California
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I stayed at the River Inn with my Aunt in August while we were attending my brother's graduation from the Marine Corps. Overall, we had a good experience. The hotel let us check in early, gave us advice on restaurants and things to do in the area, the rooms were clean, restaurant was good, etc. Our experience was so positive that my Aunt returned to stay for another week in October (and spent $1,000+ on her stay.)

So... why two stars? Because of my recent experience with booking another reservation. I've decided to never return to this hotel.

My boyfriend and I are planning a special trip to D.C. for next month. We're on a tight budget and before booking the room, I called The River Inn to ask if they had a government discount, or if they could give us a break on the first night's rate (it was double the price of the 2nd and 3rd night, for some reason.) The representative told me that she was coincidentally working on lowering the prices when I called, and that I should wait to reserve the room for that price reduction. She quoted specific prices, which worked a lot better for our budget. I thanked her graciously and we ended our conversation.

I went back to book our rooms today (2 days later,) and guess what? They RAISED their prices! Significantly! Not only was the first night more than it was originally, but the second night pricing doubled. The third night remained the same. Pricing was nowhere near what the representative quoted. As a result, the hotel was no longer within our price range, and we had to book elsewhere.

I called the hotel and they confirmed that prices had been raised. I expressed my frustration and they just asked me to call back. I can't understand why they would mislead me like that. Had they not said that they were lowing prices, I would have booked the reservation before the price increase. I don't plan on returning to this hotel. It was no question a very nice stay the first time around, but their morals need some work.

• Liked — It was a nice little hotel overall
  • Disliked — Kind of a long walk from downtown
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ttaylor86
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My sister and I just got back from D.C., and we stayed at the River Inn for four nights. We paid $200.00/night and in comparison with other hotels in the area, feel we got a great deal. The River Inn has one of the best rates in the area, and they are located on a very quiet, pretty residential street just minutes' walking distance from the Metro (subway), Georgetown, and all of the main tourist attractions around The Mall area. There is a Trader Joe's - a small grocery store that seems to specialize in organic and fair trade goods - about a block or so down the street, and since the hotel room came with a kitchenette, this was ideal. We were able to cook all of our breakfasts in the room, have freshly-brewed coffee there, and enjoyed a 'home-cooked' dinner in the room one evening as well when we were too tired to go out.

The hotel room itself is very clean and all amenities were available (hair dryer, iron and ironing board, towels, bathrobe, shampoo, conditioner, makeup remover towelettes, shoe shine service, coffee maker with fresh coffee beans, coffee grinder, fridge, stove, kitchen sink, cutlery, bottle opener, paper towel, laundry facilities, etc.). If I were to list any 'cons', they would be that the water was not always super-hot for showers compared to some places I've stayed, but it was substantial. The room does have some areas where it could use some updating...the carpet was a bit 'rumply' in a couple of spots, bathroom towelbar was old and paint was almost completely peeled off, and the sheer curtains behind the heavier ones were shredded in some places. However, those are all simple cosmetic issues; the room itself was kept extremely clean and well-supplied, which is what is most important. The bed was very comfortable, and there was room to sleep as many as four people (there was a sofa-bed provided as well). TV was a nice flat-screen HD.

We only ate at the restaurant once; it is quite tiny and - imo - just a bit overpriced. (I paid $18.00 for a plate of pasta, which was the cheapest and one of the only vegetarian meals offered; the menu list itself wasn't very long...there was some fish on the menu but it was pricey.) But to give credit, the food was quite tasty. Overall I found the all staff - in the restaurant, at the front desk, and the concierge - to be most helpful and pleasant. And the hotel also has complimentary bicycles if you choose to take advantage of the beautiful bike paths that run along the canal and up into Maryland.

Would I recommend this hotel to others? Most definitely. If ever I get the chance to return to D.C., this is where I will be staying.

• Liked — I loved the location the most; very convenient. Affordability and cleanliness were also important.
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything I didn't really like.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family