“Solid Choice in DC”

Ranked #79 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Baltimore, Maryland
“Solid Choice in DC”
Reviewed 22 January 2008

I really, really like this hotel. The lobby is urban/chic without being tacky. The hotel bar, M Bar, is really excellent. Like any hotel, it's pricey, but well worth it. The Asian Chips & Salas - which consists of a tuna and avocado dip - was delicious!

The rooms are very small, as others have stated, but still really nice. The space is well utilized. The bed was comfortable - although not has comfortable as Westin's Heavenly Bed, I must admit. The flat panel TV was really large, which was a nice thouch. The shower in the bathroom was really big, which was a appreciated.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Bar, Decor
  • Disliked — Small Sleeping Rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Pomfret, Maryland
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My husband and I needed a place to stay for one night close to the Kennedy Center, so we bid $80 a night on Priceline for Foggy Bottom/Georgetown 4 star hotel. The reviews on here were pretty split and there were no user pics, so I knew this was a gamble.

As soon we arrived the valet whisked our car away and the bellman immediately took our luggage to the lobby. Checkin was very smooth and in less than 5 minutes we were shown to our room. The room is an odd shape as you will see from the pics. However the bathroom is a generous size, the bed was very inviting, and everything in the room is brand new. The lobby is very large and inviting, however we did not get to take advantage. We would have loved to have had a drink and taken in the ambience.

The in room dining is as always pricey, but the quality of the food is very good. We ordered a late night dinner and breakfast the next morning and were pleasantly surprised at how good it really was. Also room service will call before they deliver, to let you know they will be arriving in 5 minutes as a courtesy so you will not be disturbed.

You cannot beat this location. It is at M Street/New Hampshire Avenue. It is literally 1 mile from the Kennedy Center, walking distance to Dupont, and short hike to Georgetown.

Would we stay here again? Maybe, only because they only offer Queen or 2 Doubles and my husband being a large man at 6"2 prefers the King sized bed.

FYI - There are also reviews on this hotel under Renaissance M Street Hotel.

Stayed January 2006
1 Thank Tlaquay
Pomfret, Maryland
Reviewed 14 January 2008

FYI - There are also reviews on this hotel under M Street Hotel.

• Liked — I loved the location and decor.
  • Disliked — I did not like the size of the room or the lack of King Size beds.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tlaquay
Washington DC
Reviewed 11 January 2008

I booked this hotel at the wonderful price of $75 plus tax for one weeknight in January 2008. The hotel was sleek and modern, but still warm. Each member of the staff was polite, friendly, and helpful. The rooms are beautifully appointed, though on the small side (even for a hotel in a major city). The one off-putting factor was the construction across the street, as the hotel (for reasons unknown) switched us from an interior room to a room facing the street. The construction noise continued past business hours and started early in the morning. While this hotel was everything one could hope for in terms of location, value, and quality, I would not stay here again until the construction has stopped.

Stayed January 2008
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 December 2007

I stayed two nights over Thanksgiving 2007 at this hotel. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is newly and totally updated. The public areas and rooms are very attractive. My room was immaculate and roomy enough. Service was a little uneven, but never rude or unacceptable. I think they're still ironing out some kinks. The hotel has a very nice fitness center that had more than the usual amount of equipment. I did not eat at the restaurant, but I had drinks with a friend at the bar and our cocktails were excellent as was the appetizer we ordered. The location was fine for me - - within walking distance of everywhere I needed to be. There are hotels that are closer to all of the tourist attractions as has been noted previously. I did not give this hotel an excellent rating due to the uneven service. If this gets ironed out, this hotel will be great. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Liked — Great room
  • Disliked — Uneven service
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Mid_West_Traveler
Connecticut
Reviewed 15 December 2007

This is a rebranding of a non-descript hotel near the corner of New Hampshire and M that was formerly a Sheraton and a Wyndham. It has now been completely renovated, and one of the pleasures of the place is that almost everything -- carpets, walls, bedding, television -- looks bright and spiffy. The other great pleasure is the hidden restaurant (called, I think, the M Street Bistro), which offers a small menu of exceptionally well prepared and professionally served food. Not cheap, but really good, if you don't mind dining almost alone. Except for the restaurant, everything is pretty anonymous: don't come here seeking any kind of character or personality. The rooms are small. Mine didn't even have space for a reading chair, And the service, except for the restaurant, is glazed or neutered: Everyone is on automatic pilot. This isn't even remotely what a Renaissance hotel used to be like. But it is efficient, clean, newly furnished, and moderately well located only an extended walk or a short taxi ride from Georgetown, DuPont Circle, or the K Street corridor. For now, while they are trying to introduce the hotel, it also costs less than many other good hotels. But get it while you can. Once the newness wears off and the prices rise, this will be just another vertical motel.

• Liked — Clean and new; good, though costly, restaurant.
  • Disliked — Bland, cramped quarters. and anonymous service.
  • Stayed December 2007
3 Thank Pullman1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2007

When I got to the hotel from the Reagan airport I was tired so I specifically (and politely) asked for a quiet room. I was checked into a room that faced an exhaust fan. I had to ask for another room on the other side of the hotel.

I got a nice and quiet room, until I woke up in the morning at around 7am. The room was directly facing a construction site. It was on the third floor, so the source of the noise was very very close. I called the front desk and was told that the entire DC is under construction and I would not be able to get away from construction noise. I insisted I had to work in my room, and then got moved to a room on a higher floor, which pretty much solved the problem.

I was quite happy with the room, very spacious. Very nice and fluffy bed with great bedding. The coffee maker looked dirty so I did not touch it. Overall, cleanliness was a bit of an issue. When I moved a big folder on the desk, I could see that the table had not been wiped for a few weeks at least.

But still, I thought the room was pretty good...until I started hearing my neighbour talking on the phone and every single detail of the phone conversation traveled through the door that connected the two rooms. The lady next door was cursing a lot, so I heard lots of F and C and A words in one night. The lady was nice when I called the front desk to attend to the noise issue, but still, I thought that it was not very appropriate that she kept on cursing on the phone so loudly.

The bell people, security people, those who actually handle your luggage and issues are very consciencious and nice people. And hard-working, too. I didn't mind tipping them rather generously.

However, people who sit at the front desk consistently gave me problems by not solving them, and/or telling me that things are solved while not having done anything to solve them.

I tried to use the internet in the room. The charge was $9.97 per day, which is pretty reasonable. But somehow, the connection did not work so I called them and asked them to cancel the service right away and I was told I would not be charged for it because I did not use it at all.

When I checked out, I was told "you're all set". I did not get any bill in my room the morning I left, so I assumed I did not incur any incidental charges (I did not use any phone or any other service). But when I saw my credit card bill, somehow, a charge for a three-day usage of internet was there, a $30 charge.

I was in Japan when I called the hotel to ask them to reverse the charge. Naturally I was hoping the refund could be dealt with quickly. However, I was put on hold for ever by the operator before I got to the front desk, who then put me on hold for ten minutes before I reached an appropriate person, who then put me on hold for an accounts person, and by the time I reached the accounts person's voice mail my phone bill had exceeded the amount I was trying to get back from the hotel.

I had to call again during their business hours and then was put on hold. I was rather flustered but I just wanted to make sure justice was done, and I did talk to them...I'll see if they actually process my request, but I am not very optimistic about it.

I have had very similar experience at the Marriott in DC (which is very close to this Renaissance I stayed this time) two years ago. VERY uneven service by the hotel staff, which is usually the case with DC hotels in general.

But the unevenness of the service is very puzzling, given the good standing of the hotel itself.

Oh it was pretty far from Dupont Circle, too. After shopping loads, I'd recommend that you take a cab, even though with the strange zoning system it may cost a fortune.

Overall, a nice room with a few nice people, but I had to be psychologically prepared for some problem all the time. Given that I got this hotel on priceline at a considerable discount I think it was still okay,but I guess it is indeed true you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Nice bedding
  • Disliked — Unevenness of quality of service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business