“Great location in the heart of DC”

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Livonia, Michigan
“Great location in the heart of DC”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay here each March for a weekend business meeting. They hardly let us out of the building! The rooms are pretty standard for a Renaissance and the meeting rooms are all in the basement, excuse me, garden level. Don't plan on getting much sunlight but the wifi signal is strong wherever you are. Great place for a meeting and the concierge has running maps if you want to escape for a while.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Hi TK2012114,
Thanks for the great review! Next time, hopefully you will have some time to explore the local area a bit because there is plenty to see!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Renaissance Dupont Circle for two nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Location was excellent. We were able to walk to plenty of shops and restaurants. It's about a 2 miles from the White House and some of the major museums so it's an easy cab ride or a good walk on a nice day. The room was clean and modern-looking but very small, especially the bathroom. Their parking garage was also closed for construction so they offered valet which was pretty expensive. We found a public garage a few blocks away on 22nd Street next to the Whole Foods which was more reasonable at $11/day on weekends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Erin P,
Thanks for the candid review. It sounds like you had a great stay at the hotel! Our rooms do run a bit on the smaller side, but with so many different room shapes and configurations, please feel free to request one of the larger rooms that we have in the hotel and our team will do our best to accomodate you. And when you come back, hopefully the garage renovation will be complete so that you can take advantage of the convenience of the valet service! Feel free to reach out to me if you do decide to come back to the DC area.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I really enjoyed my interaction with the staff at the Renaissance Dupont Circle. Ali works the bar/lobby area at night, and he is awesome. The concierge is skilled and knowledgable. I also loved the lobby, it is extremely functional for relaxing, eating, drinking, working, etc.

I look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi 1Stutzman1,
Thank you for the great review! Excellent service is what we are all about. I will make sure to share this feedback with Ali and the rest of the team here at the Renaissance.
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is well located, but you will need 15 minutes walking to reach metro.
The hotel area is quiet and clean, no problems walking at night.
The bedroom is comfortable and the bathroom is clean.
There is AC, tv, refrigerator, iron and locker in room.
Staff was helpfull. They had concierge to help you if you need.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Caproni,
Thank you for the great remarks! We pride ourselves on offering a clean, quiet place to stay just a few blocks away from Dupont Circle, Georgetown or the National Mall. I hope to see you again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 January 2014

On our first day we arrived we did as many would and walked around and explored the clean, amazing streets of DC. After our hours and learning the basics of the city, we were not bothered to go in a deep search for a restaurant as we were exhausted after our 7500 mile flight and DC exploration, so we settled to go with the food in the hotel, outcome was we were in awe! Food was amazing and cheap, but we did not go there every night of our 3 day stay as we fell in love with the nearby Luna grill & diner! Overall this hotel is a must stay as it is luxurious, cheap, clean and a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Probably should bring children to the city ages 10+ but still sources of brilliant entertainment all...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LFCreviewer
Hi LFCreviewer,
Thank you for the fantastic review! I'm so glad you thoroughly enjoyed your time in DC with us. Come back and see us soon!
Take care
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel is nice and funky in a good way, in a good location for the Dupont area, easy Metro access, very friendly and attentive staff, and good pricing. The rooms were reasonably clean and had a nice and interesting layout. However, two major problems affected my stay at the Renaissance DC. (this is essentially the same review I provided on a survey the hotel sent to me after my stay)

The first was the unbelievable amount of noise made by the house keeping staff that started around 9AM every morning and continued until about 6PM each evening, every day. It was a cacophony of loud bangs (like boxes and pallets being slammed on the floor), crashes, slamming of doors and carts, and unbelievably loud talking, shouting and socializing of the staff in and around the hallways near my room. The noise was enough that it would periodically make the door to my room shake and the walls of my room would vibrate. It made the room very difficult to enjoy during the hours noted. I have stayed in many hotels and have never experienced this sort of noise level. I think part of it was just overall poor noise insulation of the rooms in general.

The second issue, which is ironic given the frenetic activity of the cleaning staff noted above, is that my room was only made up once by house keeping during my 4 night stay. I had to grab clean towels off a housekeeping cart one time (this hotel is very miserly with the towels for some reason, get ready to ask for towels), and I called the front desk for clean towels another time. It was so disappointing to come back to the hotel in the evening after being out and about in DC much of the day to find that the room had not been made up. Part of the enjoyment, in my view, of staying in a nice hotel is coming back to a refreshed room every evening after the day's activities. Thankfully I know how to make a bed. By the third evening, my trash cans were overflowing, and used towels were piling up (I tossed those out into the hallway to be picked up).

The nightly rate of the hotel was good (DC is generally an expensive place), though the room internet charges per day are silly high. I might try the hotel again during a future visit to DC.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevators and house keeping storage room as you can to reduce the no...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank S K
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hi S K,
Thank you for the candid review. I was very disappointed to hear about your experience with us. A quiet night's sleep is essential for our guests and we take this very seriously. This will certainly be used as a training opportunity for our Housekeeping team to ensure that other guests do not have the same experience. If there is any way that you could provide me specific information so that we can address the issue with regarding the insulation and noise control. Please feel free to reach out to me.
michael.horowitz@marriott.com
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed one night at Renaissance Washingtion DC Dupont Circle Hotel. Overnight was awaken by noisy guests in hallway as well as the slamming of doors throughout the night. Reported issue to the Front Desk but noise in hallway persisted. Left dining card on exterior of door for morning room service but breakfast was never delivered. Was glad to check out of the hotel for my flight home. Got more rest and sleep on flight home than at the hotel. Would not recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cathy K
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Hi Cathy K,
I'm so sorry for this poor experience. We pride ourselves on giving our guests a quiet, comfortable night's sleep, and clearly this did not happen. It is disappointing also that you reported the issue and that it was not resolved. We have a 24 hour on site security team that takes these concerns very seriously. If you could provide some specific information of dates or times, as well as what room you stayed in, we can potentially have a better understanding of what happened that night and how this can be prevented in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
michael.horowitz@marriott.com