“Poorly designed”

Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
boston
“Poorly designed”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

It's relatively reasonably priced, in a good location, the staff is very friendly and helpful....BUT:

1) My room is very poorly designed -- the desk and chair are in a little nook with a small 'fridge nearby that makes access to awkward and uncomfortable.

2) The heating system is very loud.

3) Light switches in the bathroom are not near the bathroom door and not easily found or accessible in the dark.

4) One of the two phones is not working.

5) Internet service is pricey and very, very slow.

Beds are ok. Toiletries adequate. There is a great Illy's coffee shop attached. Exercise room was clean and had three ellipticals, three treadmills, 2 recombinant bikes (which we very new!) and more.

I stayed at this hotel because that's where a conference I was attending was being held and there was a discounted rate. However, that rate was only available during the conference and over the ensuing weekend, not the day before, so my company had to pay regular rate.

Felt like the hotel was taking advantage of those of us who traveled a day earlier in order to be fresh and ready for the conference the next day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hi liviBoston,
Thank you for your feedback. We have received feedback about our internet performance and this is something that we are currently looking into. As far as the phones, heating system and room layout, I would like to find out more specifics so that we can better address these issues. I understand that you felt that the rate was a bit high, however the rates do fluctuate day to day and the negotiated group rate was most likely a much lower rate than our other daily rates. You clearly did not enjoy your stay and I would like to see if there is anything we can do for you if you decide to come back to DC. Feel free to reach out to me. Thanks.
202-498-4873

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had to laugh when I checked into this hotel and the woman at the front desk said, “we are a boutique hotel so we have smaller rooms”. Boutique hotels offer many things – but the definition of a boutique hotel is not “smaller rooms”. Just for fun, I looked up the definition of boutique hotel and found that boutique hotels typically have between 10 and 100 rooms and often offer luxury facilities in unique or intimate settings. This hotel is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a boutique hotel. It has over 300 rooms and nothing about this hotel is luxurious. It is adequate and functional. That’s it. Others have also mentioned the use of the term “boutique” by the staff – it’s embarrassing, for them, that they use the term and I can’t imagine who would decide to brand this hotel that way. Even the manager uses the term in his tripadvisor replies. Additionally, this is rated a category 6 Marriott – not even close. The JW in DC is a 7 and there is a world of difference.

On the positive side:

• My room size was fine – I was told I was given a larger room on the concierge level because I am a Platinum Marriott member. The room is, like I said, adequate and functional – bare bones, no frills, overlooks an office building. I asked for a room with a view and was told that “no rooms in this hotel have a view”. However, the view of the street from the Concierge lounge, and rooms on that wing, would be much better.
• I found the customer service in the hotel to be very good – the front desk, the bellman, the concierge were all helpful, friendly, and ready to answer questions.
• Concierge lounge was nice, service was excellent and food was good.
• Location is good.

Where I thought improvements could be made:

• Wifi – I agree with others who have said the wifi was extraordinarily slow and, as a result, difficult to use. This was a huge frustration and would probably keep me from staying at this hotel again. The hotel wasn’t able to help – just connected me to a help desk who said my connection speed was fine. It wasn’t – I couldn’t do anything and probably 75% of the time I was navigating the internet, I got the message that “this page cannot be displayed”. If you are traveling for work, this is a huge issue.
• Amenities in the bathrooms were limited and very few towels were provided – that was strange.
• Restaurant – it is in the back of the hotel and has no windows. Couldn’t wait to leave – quite unpleasant. I was given a coupon for a continental breakfast since the Concierge lounge was closed on the weekend. To upgrade to a full breakfast was $4 – some properties charge the upgrade fee and some do not. It is such a small amount of money that I would think Marriott would get more goodwill from allowing the guest to have the full breakfast than the $4 is worth to them. I always think, when I am charged an upgrade, about how much money I spend at Marriott properties throughout the year and feel a bit “nickled and dimed” by the $4.
• Rooms don’t seem to have soundproofing – noise in the hallways is very loud and seems to echo.

I do like the location of this hotel – both for business and sightseeing – and the service was very good. However, the wifi was so, so bad – just so excruciatingly painful to use that I wouldn’t stay at the hotel again unless it goes through a major wifi upgrade. There are plenty of other Marriott properties to choose from in DC.

1 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi SeeingTheWordFromORD,
Thank you for the helpful feedback. Clearly there were some major problems during your stay and I would like to find out more information so that they can be addressed. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Rooms Operations Manager
Waymart, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business- arranged by govt agency. Small room for price. Uncomfortable bed with tiny pillows. Wanted to charge us $70 per gallon of coffee for the meeting. We will be going to Bruegger's- $80 for 3 boxes of coffee and 2 dozen bagels.

• Stayed March 2014
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hi Pamela L,
Thank you for the candid feedback. Clearly you were disappointed with your experience. I apoligize that the room was unsatisfactory and that you had to go outside for your food and beverage needs. I will reach out to the food and beverage team, however, I do know that team is constantly performing competetive shops to compare our prices with the other full service hotels in Washington DC. All of that being said, I would like to hear more about your experience and about the room specifics as well. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Take care,
Rooms Operations Manager
Baltimore County, MD
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel has a lot going for it. The location is fabulous. The lobby atmosphere is warm modern and swanky, the staff is very attentive and pleasant (special shout out to our concierge, Cory and front desk attendant Tatiana) and the rooms are classic Marriott style. My room was clean but a little more basic than I expected. There were modern touches but I had hoped for some of the swankiness to migrate into the room atmosphere. However, what was wonderful was the bed. It was the perfect amount of firm with that layer of softness underneath. The shower had great pressure and I loved the Aveda amenities.

The hotel garage is being renovated so in the meantime it does take a while to get your car. For me it was 20 minutes since I checked-out during an off time. But be aware that using cabs or walking might be better until their garage is ready. Check on the timing when you register.

It was a wonderful stay all around with a top notch crew - well worth a return.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I am a Platinum Rewards Member at Marriott and I stay over 100 nights/year at Marriott properties. This is a boutique hotel and has nice smaller rooms. I had a nice room but the window was in a corner next to a column that you couldn't see out of and it looked into offices of adjacent buildings. My wife would have been very claustrophobic in this room.

Overall a nice stay but might go for the Courtyard in Foggy Bottom or the Ritz about a block from the Renaissance next time.

Room Tip: I would ask for room that didn't look into a the offices of the adjacent buildings.
1 Thank JMMcD
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 March 2014

After leaving the hotel last week, I realized that I'd left valuables locked in my room safe. Hotel front desk and security staff were sympathetic and highly efficient in tracking down my belongings. The operations manager was professional and helpful in expediting the shipment and return of my belongings. Thanks to such nice staff. I'll certainly return to this hotel in the future.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I recently got stuck in DC due to the Winter Vortex traveling across the East Coast. As I was in the airport looking for a hotel, as always I look for a Renaissance. I found the Dupont location and liked it because when I lived in DC I was two blocks from this location and loved the ease of walking to Dupont and Georgetown. When arriving I realized so much had changed - it was still a great location. I checked in to the hotel and the front desk clerk was extremely nice. I always appreciate it and this time was no different. He changed my room to have a "cool view" and it was - a nice city view.

When I entered the room, I knew something was different. I recognized the comforter on the bed, but the room, furnishings and bathroom was not what I expected in a Renaissance. Sadly, the next day I did find another Renaissance across town and decided to check out.

Lastly, prior to check out I popped into the coffee shop downstairs - freaking awesome coffee!

Room Tip: As much as I hate to say this because the staff was so awesome, this is not your typical brand for t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi TravelingoutofNC,
Thanks for the candid review. While I am pleased that you were very happy with the service, I was disappointed that the rooms did not meet your expectations. We are revamping the hotel's bedding package and have started this on the top few floors at this point. I hope to see you again once they have finished this! Please let me know if you decide to book with us again and I can make sure that you are taken care of.