“An ok place to stay in a great location”

Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“An ok place to stay in a great location”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is an average hotel with average accommodations and amenities. The heating system is loud. I could hear through my walls very clearly to the room next to me. It was clean, the service was average. The fitness center was nice for a hotel center. The location is what would make me chose this hotel again. You have to pay $12.95 for wifi, seems pricey considering there is a Starbucks across the street where you could grab it for free.

1 Thank Neonsafari
Marc B, Senior Operations Manager - Rooms at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hello Neonsafari -

Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apology for your experience not being satisfactory. Some of our guestrooms are unique in size and we make every effort to set the expectation during the arrival process. We would be delighted to have our Engineering Team inspect the guestroom that you stayed in, if you could provide me with that information.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here over the weekend for 1 night while we had a weekend exploring the city. The room was great...clean, comfortable, and a perfect place to sleep after a lot of walking. The location is ideal if you want to see all of DC's sites.

I would definitely stay again if the price was right.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our stay in this hotel was extremely pleasant. It might not be the biggest hotel with the biggest rooms, but when I look for a hotel, I look to see what I can get in a great area at a reasonable price. This hotel is a Boutique hotel with a very friendly staff. They were very helpful in directions and recommendations on restaurants. The location is great. We felt very safe walking to the metro, restaurants and bars regardless how late is was at night. You are walking distance from Georgetown as well. There is a Walgreens across the street and a lot of very nice restaurants within walking distance in all price ranges. I would stay at this hotel again. WiFi might have been slow and my kids did mention that, but we were in Washington to see the sights and do things and not be connected to electronics the whole time. As far as I'm concerned the internet can wait till we get home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. However internet access was a huge failure! If you want hot water, forget that too! I ran the water in both the sink and shower for more than 5 minutes and never got hot water. Instead, room temperature was the best I ever got. There are so many hotels in the DC area that are comparable in price. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TigerConnecticut
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hi TigerConnecticut,
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with us. There are basic needs that we must meet and internet performance and hot water are two of those. Any specific information would be so helpful for us to address these concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss your stay. Thank you.
boston
Reviewed 13 March 2014

It's relatively reasonably priced, in a good location, the staff is very friendly and helpful....BUT:

1) My room is very poorly designed -- the desk and chair are in a little nook with a small 'fridge nearby that makes access to awkward and uncomfortable.

2) The heating system is very loud.

3) Light switches in the bathroom are not near the bathroom door and not easily found or accessible in the dark.

4) One of the two phones is not working.

5) Internet service is pricey and very, very slow.

Beds are ok. Toiletries adequate. There is a great Illy's coffee shop attached. Exercise room was clean and had three ellipticals, three treadmills, 2 recombinant bikes (which we very new!) and more.

I stayed at this hotel because that's where a conference I was attending was being held and there was a discounted rate. However, that rate was only available during the conference and over the ensuing weekend, not the day before, so my company had to pay regular rate.

Felt like the hotel was taking advantage of those of us who traveled a day earlier in order to be fresh and ready for the conference the next day.

Hi liviBoston,
Thank you for your feedback. We have received feedback about our internet performance and this is something that we are currently looking into. As far as the phones, heating system and room layout, I would like to find out more specifics so that we can better address these issues. I understand that you felt that the rate was a bit high, however the rates do fluctuate day to day and the negotiated group rate was most likely a much lower rate than our other daily rates. You clearly did not enjoy your stay and I would like to see if there is anything we can do for you if you decide to come back to DC. Feel free to reach out to me. Thanks.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had to laugh when I checked into this hotel and the woman at the front desk said, “we are a boutique hotel so we have smaller rooms”. Boutique hotels offer many things – but the definition of a boutique hotel is not “smaller rooms”. Just for fun, I looked up the definition of boutique hotel and found that boutique hotels typically have between 10 and 100 rooms and often offer luxury facilities in unique or intimate settings. This hotel is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a boutique hotel. It has over 300 rooms and nothing about this hotel is luxurious. It is adequate and functional. That’s it. Others have also mentioned the use of the term “boutique” by the staff – it’s embarrassing, for them, that they use the term and I can’t imagine who would decide to brand this hotel that way. Even the manager uses the term in his tripadvisor replies. Additionally, this is rated a category 6 Marriott – not even close. The JW in DC is a 7 and there is a world of difference.

On the positive side:

• My room size was fine – I was told I was given a larger room on the concierge level because I am a Platinum Marriott member. The room is, like I said, adequate and functional – bare bones, no frills, overlooks an office building. I asked for a room with a view and was told that “no rooms in this hotel have a view”. However, the view of the street from the Concierge lounge, and rooms on that wing, would be much better.
• I found the customer service in the hotel to be very good – the front desk, the bellman, the concierge were all helpful, friendly, and ready to answer questions.
• Concierge lounge was nice, service was excellent and food was good.
• Location is good.

Where I thought improvements could be made:

• Wifi – I agree with others who have said the wifi was extraordinarily slow and, as a result, difficult to use. This was a huge frustration and would probably keep me from staying at this hotel again. The hotel wasn’t able to help – just connected me to a help desk who said my connection speed was fine. It wasn’t – I couldn’t do anything and probably 75% of the time I was navigating the internet, I got the message that “this page cannot be displayed”. If you are traveling for work, this is a huge issue.
• Amenities in the bathrooms were limited and very few towels were provided – that was strange.
• Restaurant – it is in the back of the hotel and has no windows. Couldn’t wait to leave – quite unpleasant. I was given a coupon for a continental breakfast since the Concierge lounge was closed on the weekend. To upgrade to a full breakfast was $4 – some properties charge the upgrade fee and some do not. It is such a small amount of money that I would think Marriott would get more goodwill from allowing the guest to have the full breakfast than the $4 is worth to them. I always think, when I am charged an upgrade, about how much money I spend at Marriott properties throughout the year and feel a bit “nickled and dimed” by the $4.
• Rooms don’t seem to have soundproofing – noise in the hallways is very loud and seems to echo.

I do like the location of this hotel – both for business and sightseeing – and the service was very good. However, the wifi was so, so bad – just so excruciatingly painful to use that I wouldn’t stay at the hotel again unless it goes through a major wifi upgrade. There are plenty of other Marriott properties to choose from in DC.

1 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi SeeingTheWordFromORD,
Thank you for the helpful feedback. Clearly there were some major problems during your stay and I would like to find out more information so that they can be addressed. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Rooms Operations Manager
Waymart, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business- arranged by govt agency. Small room for price. Uncomfortable bed with tiny pillows. Wanted to charge us $70 per gallon of coffee for the meeting. We will be going to Bruegger's- $80 for 3 boxes of coffee and 2 dozen bagels.

• Stayed March 2014
Mike_Horowitz, Rooms Operations Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hi Pamela L,
Thank you for the candid feedback. Clearly you were disappointed with your experience. I apoligize that the room was unsatisfactory and that you had to go outside for your food and beverage needs. I will reach out to the food and beverage team, however, I do know that team is constantly performing competetive shops to compare our prices with the other full service hotels in Washington DC. All of that being said, I would like to hear more about your experience and about the room specifics as well. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Take care,
Rooms Operations Manager