“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of May and over the Memorial weekend so the hotel was quite busy but it didn’t seem that bad to us, lifts were there when wanted, reception staff available, friendly and helpful. We had a room at the back overlooking some offices, not a problem with us as we were out and about but there was noise from a fan or something outside at night which didn’t bother us that much. They say the rooms are ‘boutique’ - on the small side but the one we had on the 4th floor was fine for the two of us. There was a good walk in shower, comfortable bed, desk and chair, tea/coffee making and a safe (in a drawer) with plenty of storage space for us. The only down side was that there could be a small table on both sides of the bed, not just one side – could have done with ‘ordinary teabags’ and a fridge/mini-bar in the room. We only ate once at the hotel on the first night, the food was freshly made and the service was quick and friendly. We didn’t have breakfast there, opting to get some cereal pots and milk from the CVS around the corner in M Street. There is free wi-fi in the lobby area and didn’t have any problems with it, make sure you use the right one and get the password from reception, a nice touch is the chilled water in the lobby flavoured with different fruits each day. The hotel provides a computer to allow guests to check in on line for their flights which is a nice extra, but our airline had problems when we went to check in so didn't get to print off ours.
The road outside was being re-surfaced but there was little work going on while we were there so looks a bit of a long term thing. Traffic was busy after the weekend but we could still get about, the Circulator bus to Georgetown stops across the junction outside the Grillfish restaurant and coming back it stops right outside the hotel. Foggy Bottom metro station is a short 10 minute walk away, wasn’t too bad with suitcases in tow (found it easier via 22nd St). It was easy to walk to the Mall area, walking past Foggy Bottom will bring you to the Lincoln Memorial end or go down Pennsylvania Avenue NW towards the centre and The White House. Bus stops are nearby around Washington Circle if you need a bus but we only used them a few times, in fact we walked everywhere on our first day and only used a bus later on the second. We were able to store our luggage when we checked out and picked it up later in the day before heading to the airport.
We would have no problem staying here again as it is in a quieter area with plenty of restaurants, a few shops and transport nearby and easy to get to places.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while visiting the sites of DC. The hotel has a nice decor, friendly staff and very comfy beds. It was quiet at night, so was a very restful place to stay.

On the downside there was no fridge / mini bar in the room and the hotel is in the middle of the business area, so if you are looking for breakfast, lunch or dinner on a weekend everything is closed in the area. We had to walk 30 minutes to a more touristy area for breakfast one morning. If you are here on business on a weekday I'm sure this won't be a problem.

Overall not a bad hotel, but location isn't good for tourists and I would probably try somewhere else next time.

1 Thank tom p
Ashley B, Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Mr. Tom,

Thank you for your polite words about the property! I wish you would have asked for a refrigerator, we could have had one delivered upon request. As far as breakfast we do have a restaurant here, but I understand if you and your wife wanted to eat elsewhere. Our Navigator/Concierge would have been able to assist you in places that were open in the immediate area. Again thank you for staying with us and if you do find yourself here in the future please feel free to reach out to me so I can help accommodate your needs. Thank you! ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My recent two-night stay at this Renaissance property was underwhelming in almost every respect. As other reviewers have noted, the location of the property is very good, near DuPont Circle and about equidistant from the Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle Metro stations. That is about the only positive thing I can say. While the Renaissance brand is supposedly an upmarket, full-service hotel brand in the Marriott family of properties, this hotel was decidedly not. The physical facilities are very worn around the edges, and the room itself was pretty down on its heels. Meanwhile, not a single member of the staff demonstrated what I would call a service ethos, at least one appropriate to a supposed upmarket property. The range of customer services experiences I encountered stretched from clueless to outright hostile. While the rate was reasonable in the grand scheme of things, I felt that the pricing was not reflective of the service I received. This property felt much more like a limited service hotel than a full-service one. If you want to stay in a full-service Marriott property that delivers on its brand expectation, I would suggest the nearby Marriott on 22nd Street instead. (I've had good experiences there in the past.) Or stay in a more limited service property like a Courtyard, and your expectations will be more in line with the services received for the money. Very disappointing experience,overall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank South_Travel2014
Dear South_Travel2014,

I am so sorry to hear about all the unsatisfactory things that you in countered while staying here at the DuPont Renaissance. Do you mind reaching back out to me with your personal information i.e. your name and the dates you stayed? Unfortunately with the name South_Travels2014 I am unable to pull up any information about your stay. I would like to know this information to get to the root of some of the problems you mentioned.

Ashley Banks
Assistant Rooms Operations Manager
ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the Renaissance on 5/29/14. Warmly greeted by Gary at front desk who upgraded me for internet and complimentary breakfast. Room was adequate size, clean and bed was very comfy. Easy to get cabs.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Linkoping, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here twice and will come back. Good service and in walking distance to my meetings when working. Rooms are good but not very spacious, the ones I have had.
I have issues with the gym, it is really small and with limited facilities. I like to exercise when abroad, but this gym isn't really up to it. And running outside... not really the best area for that.
The breakfast buffe is really not Worth it, neither good at all. Really limited selection and quality so-so for the price. E.g. I like a good variety of fruits and bread, not here.
Anyhow, service is great!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GGFrisk
Ashley B, Manager at Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Mr. Frisk,
Thank you so much for your feed back. Your suggestions about the breakfast buffet, etc. have been duly noted. We would like to have you stay with us again! Please reach out to me after you book your reservation and I will see that you get a spacious room. As far as the gym, we do have visitor passes to the local YMCA that you would be allowed to use. If you do decide you'd like to run outside we can give you quick directions to Rock Creek Parkway that provides trails all over the district. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach back out to me. ashley.banks@renaissancehotels.com Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my dad in March and it was my first trip to D.C. I decided to book this Renaissance property because there is an excellent Illy coffee cafe in the hotel lobby and we love good coffee. The hotel is clean and the rooms were comfortable. A bit smaller than usual, but this is also because it is more of a boutique style hotel. We enjoyed the hotel lobby for drinks in the evening and the bartender was very friendly and helpful! We also enjoyed the Illy cafe a lot in the mornings and evenings.

The hotel is in a good location in between Georgetown and all the monuments. We enjoyed walking everywhere. Georgetown is about a 5 minute walk so that is a lot of fun for shopping and restaurants. Also, you must go and eat at the Indian restaurant Rasika which is located right across from the hotel entrance. It was absolutely amazing (you have to try the Palak Chaat - so so so good!).

I would stay here again when visiting D.C.!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
NH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked two rooms for our son's graduation.
While I appreciate that we were in the heart of DC; the room was incredibly small. Literally had to swivel the desk to get to the closet. And as is the custom in higher end hotels they charge for things that mid range hotels supply gratis. Examples: Warm bottled water: $5; Wi Fi: $12.95 for "fast" and $16.95 for "super fast" per day.
Perhaps those on expense accounts absorb these; I am offended by such charges after paying a premium rate for a supposedly premium hotel. Part of the Marriott family, but a major disappointment.

Room Tip: Shop for one of the many boutique hotels in the area instead.