“Nice place, graveyard shift SUCKS.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Nice place, graveyard shift SUCKS.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I checked in late on March 9th. We called ahead and booked online from our tripadvisor app. The woman we spoke to over the phone, Sherina, was awesome. She was very helpful and nice. She quoted us (2 adults, 2 breakfasts, 1 parking pass, 1 night) at 172.06 including taxes on everything. Well our great customer service ended there. When we finally got to the hotel, Sherina had already left. An older woman checked our reservation and told us it would be 189! Well we told her that was not what we were quoted and she kept saying that Sherina must not have included the tax, and we insisted that she had. So the woman kept saying no no no... And then she said it was 199! We had her get the manager. He started with the same "no taxes were included" bull. His halitosis was literally almost unbearable. It smelled literally like he'd eaten diapers and mothballs before he had come to us. Well, he said he would charge us 183. It was late, fine, whatever.. We will take it. He also said he had upgrade our room to a suite (which he hadn't, it was the original room we were meant to get. It was still a suite, but he upgraded nothing.) On the other hand, the shift in the morning was great! Juan even gave us two tickets to the Newseum that another guest did not get a chance to use before they checked out.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank MrsBHeath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We were very pleased with this hotel. The location is superb to explore the monuments of Washington and it is in a beautiful old area. The White House is a short walk and then down to all of the other sites. There is a full kitchen which made it great for preparing a simple breakfast with a family. The staff is top notch and so professional and welcoming. Would highly recommend this hotel in Washington. Great value.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jjulip
Newnan, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel is well situated to the Washington DC Mall. I enjoy running the Mall in the evenings and this hotel is just a few blocks from the Lincoln Memorial. The rooms are dated, as this is a renovated apartment building, but they quite clean and comfortable.

A few minor issues prevented a higher rating. The in-room internet did not work and multiple calls to the front desk resulted in zero response. I finally gave up. The climate control for my individual room did not impact the overall temperature of my room at all. The temperature in my room was too warm for me. I ended up sleeping with the window open. The required valet parking seemed to be quite expensive at $33.04 per day (total with taxes).

However, all of that said, overall the room was quite spacious, clean and comfortable and there is a Starbucks within walking distance to get the day going. If traveling to DC again this hotel would be at the top of my list due to its affordability and location.

2 Thank Kurt G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed here one night for a show at the Kennedy Center, and picked it for its proximity. The room was a good size, and I enjoyed the dressing table outside the bathroom. The kitchen is also a great amenity, as you can save a few dollars and pick up a few snacks at the CVS next door. The bed was comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows, even though they were thicker and more synthetic than I typically like. The room temperature is very hard to control, so we opted to just turn it off as it was chilly outside, and we were in the room very little. As another reviewer stated, the shower did not drain well at all. I did not contact management, as we were only in the room for one night, so this doesn't give them a chance to fix the problem for me. There was NO internet in our room, no wifi signal at all, and the ethernet cable did not work. We found the staff to be EXTREMELY helpful. One big gripe: I searched their website front to back for information on parking, and found NONE. I called the front desk and they said parking was available. Silly me, didn't ask the price, assumed they would share that on telling me about parking. So, when we show up with our car we were told that parking is an additional $28 per night. Now, this is, I'm sure, less than what you can end up paying in DC, but it would have been nice to know before showing up. Nevertheless, the valet/bell staff took great care of our car, and us.
The restaurant was well priced and had a good selection with pleasant staff. That said, the food was a little bland, but we would eat there again and try different selections.

Room Tip: The South side exits on E, the North on F. Depending on your itinerary, see if they can accommodate...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank januaryalane
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear januaryalane,

Thank you for statying with us and we're glad that you enjoyed some of our amenities. We will be making improvements to our hotel starting next month (floor by floor) which should correct all your concerns. Take care and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to The State Plaza Hotel.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

The rooms are ok and our even had a little kitchen, which was nice. But it is the many small things that make this hotel not worth its money. Pillows are very cheap and bad, there is no wireless internet, temperature is almost impossible to regulate, walls are far from sound proof. Worst of all: staff are not even trying to do their job. I asked reception staff to reserve a cab at 5.30 in the morning. When I came down, there was no cab. Worse: instead of apologizing for their mistake and helping me flag one down, the reception staff just retreated in their little back office. It took me more than 20 minutes to hail down a cab myself and I missed my train connection.

I will never stay in this hotel again.

2 Thank eelcodj
Dear eelcodj,

We apologize for the poor service you received while staying with us. Customer service is very important to us and we've addressed your concerns not only with our overnight staff but to all our staff members. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and correct our mistakes. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may assist with your future arrangements to Washington D.C.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This hotel is perfect for a laid back couple not looking for anything too fancy. The beds were super comfy and the room was a perfect size. The built in kitchen was perfect. It allowed us to save a bit of money and eat breakfast in our rooms. My only complaint is the shower drain - The shower filled up and took about an hour for it too drain. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and my boyfriend and I have already said we could stay there again in a heart beat.

The hotel was in a perfect location too (5 min walk to Lincoln Memorial and about a 15 minute walk to the Mall area).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sarah E.,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will check all our shower drains and make sure they are all draining quickly and properly. We hope to see you again. Thank you.
Saratoga, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

The hotel was a good value... the reviews on TA are accurate. Looks like a converted apartment building. Great location to major Gov't offices. The wifi was horrible in my 4th floor room. Above average bed comfort... carpeting needs replacement. Above average workout room for a hotel priced in this range.

I had to rent a meeting room on the first floor and mgmt had a difficult time turning the heat off as the lights in the room generate a ton of heat. A very kind maintenance mgr went out of his way to open up some windows for me.

Dear mdh95070,

Thank you for taking the time to review The State Plaza Hotel. We are happy to let you know that replacing all our carpets will be included in the renovation (floor by floor so there's no disturbance with the rest of the hotel) we are starting next month so we hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Washington D.C.