“great location”
Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 April 2012

state plaza is very conveniently located in foggy bottom. muhammed and oula at the reception were helpful in getting me an extension on my stay....the rooms are spacious and clean!

1  Thank LISA J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,780)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Room: I have stayed at this hotel twice, both times in what I believe they refer to as the North building. First, the rooms I have stayed in are very large, with a big bedroom, small bathroom and powder room, and nice sized kitchenette with a dining table. The actual quality of the room is not great, though I have experienced anything particularly wrong with it. The bathrooms have been titled in vivid colors, not that that matters. The largest complaint I have had with the hotel is that I have the most difficult time controlling the temperatures, both of the room and in the shower. I'd suggest quick showers if you are here!

Location: While this is obviously a very subjective issue, I have found the hotel to be handy for the training events I have attended (at the American Institute of Architects, just down the street). It would also be a good hotel for visiting George Washington University. For normal DC tourism, it would be fine, as it is probably a 10-15 minute walk to the White House, Lincoln Memorial, or the Farragut West or North Metro stops.

Service: I have not interacted much with the staff at the hotel, but found them to be responsive and helpful though not overly so.

Other: I am giving this hotel a good score on value as the reason I keep staying here is that it has been the cheapest option around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank arkleseizure
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the State Plaza for the first time while we were visiting Washington with our two teenage children. The hotel is in a nice location - within walking distance of the White House and monuments, and there are two Metro stations a few blocks north. We found a couple of great restaurants in the George Washington University area that we walked to.
As other reviewers have said, having the CVS next door was very convenient for a bit of food for the room and anything we forgot.
We stayed in a Plaza Suite and had a LOT of room for the four of us. Having the kitchen was nice, but we didn’t cook anything more than bagels in the mornings and reheating a few leftovers. Our room had a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and refrigerator. We didn’t need/want anything more involved than that. We did not get a chance to eat in the bistro during our stay.
As of the second week of April, the hotel’s WiFi was working well. The hotel’s business center had two nice computers with printers that made it easy to print electronic tickets.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bill was exactly what I was expecting from my reservation. I think the cost was reasonable for the location.
We would absolutely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Plaza Suites have a large sitting room, large bedroom. The kitchen is effeciency-sized, and the bath...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank scbuckeyes
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My stay was pleasant. The hotel is right next to the George Washington University campus and is within walking distance of the Foggy-Bottom Metro Station and the National Mall. The room was clean, spacious and had a full kitchen. The price was a bit high for my liking but I guess location comes with a price. I would stay again with friends/family to reduce cost of room.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I lived in this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel room is well furnished and clean. The people there are very nice and provide really good service. The room is quite large with the kitchen. There is only one part I would complain about is that they do not provide wifi, they only have the internet but not the wifi. But other things beside the internet is perfect. It is walking distance to many places. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
DOSatSP, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Evonne L,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also happy to let you know that since the last time you've stayed with us, our entire wi-fi system has been updated and is now fully operational in the entire hotel including Guest rooms and all public areas within the hotel. Best of all, it's still free. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

State Plaza feels like a little boutique hotel, in that it is not sterile, cookie cutter standard hotel layout and decor.
Has a pleasant curb appeal with beautiful landscaped flowers beads surrounding the E Street entrance.
Valet will park your car for an all night stay in the bowels of the building for about $28 or so. Of course you have the option of street metered parking which requires some vigilance to stay on top of. You could also self park in a nearby garage.
Reception and lounge area has a European feel to me. It is intimate and stylish and sun-filled from that wall of floor to ceiling plate windows. Staff have always been totally professional, efficient and cordial with me.
The hotel is not new and probably for this reason I adore it.
My Stateroom Suite was huge, as such room go; with a separate kitchen, dressing table/room and cool vintage tiled bathroom sort of enhanced with wall to wall mirror ( excluding shower & tub - yikes!) above the mid-wall tile line. My bathroom was a sunny yellow tile, bright lighting, shelf, mirrored sink area. Freshly caulked and CLEAN. Tub had a shower curtain, which imo, was/is retro cool, homey and familiar as I grew up in the 50's with a similar bathroom. Vanity table, mirror and stool, just outside the bathroom door was a welcomed and appreciated grooming spot for primping:make-up, hair, contacts, etc.
Bed was perfection. Lots of pillows for propping to read or watch the flat screen TV. The bed was not too hard and not too soft...it was just right. ;)
Cute little kitchen with a cook-top stove, large fridge, coffee-maker with set-ups, a little table for two, dishes, glasses and flat ware. There is a closet for clothes and a room safe. Also a desk, chair, light and computer hook-up ports.
I used every corner of that spacious suite and enjoyed every minute being there.
I believe there is an exercise room but have not visited, there is a Business center with two computers and printers: good for printing directions and researching things to do in and around DC.
They have a great little Bistro for breakfast and such.
And get this, right out the door, next to the hotel is a CVS where you can get practically anything you'd need or want.
Just a 2-3 block walk to Tidal Basin, DAR Museum and Constitution Hall, the Ellipse where the White House is located. Washington Monument just beyond. Metro stations are about 3-4 blocks away.
I really love State Plaza Hotel and told the delightful manager I'd be extremely sorry were they to gut and modernize, for this lovely place would be forever stripped of its unique charm.

2  Thank Chloe_MD

Dear Chloe_MD,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the State Plaza Hotel. We also love our Guests and we're glad you enjoyed our facilities. It's my pleasure to inform you that even though we are having a renovation done floor by floor, we are not fully modernizing the hotel (trying to keep the unique charm) but rather just making some updates and improvements that I truly beleive you will enjoy should we have the opportunity to host your visit to Washington DC once again. When and if that happens, we would certainly look forward to hearing your thoughts on our "updated" rooms.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just a few blocks from the National Mall / Lincoln Memorial, the State Plaza Hotel has been a clean, convenient place for myself & son. A full kitchen in each hotel room and next door Foggy Bottom Market + 24/7 CVS lets us get milk, juice, yogurt, cereal and other food and have breakfast before we started our day touring the Capital. Nearest Metro is 10-15 minute walk (Foggy Bottom) and CVS sells SmarTrip cards. Beds are comfortable, lots of clean linens & blankets, attentive service, complimentary toiletries, and fast room service. This family friendly place did result in one early wake-up when I heard a parent calming a toddler having a fit at 6 am, so not soundproof (but few hotels are). Good safety / security for buildings. Will come again for next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for room in South Tower to be closest to Natioanl Mall.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank EastBayAdventurer

Dear EastBayAdventurer,

Greetings! It is nice to know you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location conveninent for your needs. We pride ourselves in being one of the most family friendly hotels in town by providing our Guests some of the largest rooms in the city along with amenities such as kitchens in every room and large vanity rooms separated from the main bathrooms. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you.