“Mona from Egypt”
Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #32 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Good & quiet location, clean room, friendly staff.
Recommend the hotel to my family & friends.
The restaurant is small in size, however the staff are efficient and the food is good.
The room has a kitchenette which is useful to prepare tea & coffee.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank M_Abbassy
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear M_Abbassy,

We thank you for posting your review. It is pleasing to know that our staff, rooms and location were just what you needed. We are very happy to know that you would recommend us to your friends and family, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The State Plaza is an old apartment-style hotel-- Foggy Bottom and Georgetown are full of them-- and my experience with this kind of hotel led me to expect a certain amount of scuzziness. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel in excellent condition, with up-to-date furnishings in good repair. Reception was friendly; maid service was competent (not outstanding); the food at the hotel restaurant (I had lunch there one day) was good and reasonably priced. One small drawback: the rooms are supposed to come with full-service kitchens, but things like detergent, dish cloths, and paper towels are furnished upon request only, and there is no microwave oven. The hotel is a ten-minute walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro.

1  Thank GracefulUnderFire
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear GracefulUnderFire,

It is great to read that you found our hotel in excellent condition. We apologize for the shortage of items in the kitchen area and we will make sure to address this and have the items you mentioned placed in all our kitchenettes. Microwaves are available upon request but we are close to placing one in each room permanently. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a conference held at the Convention Center. When we arrived at the hotel, we were a bit worried because the hotel seemed to be the only commercial establishment in that stretch of street, except for a 24-hour CVS (a blessing because food/water at the convention Center was exorbitantly expensive). The desk staff as well as the door people were unfailingly polite and conversational. A pleasure! The room was quite large with a comfortable dressing area and a bathroom where everything worked. The room, bathroom and kitchen were maintained spotlessly even though it seemed to be a bit dated. The kitchen had a dining table and chairs as well. The free WiFi was included in the price, a big bonus, because when we visited colleagues in much more expensive hotels closer to the Convention Center, wireless was charged extra per day. The night we arrived, we were too tired to find a restaurant and went to the small restaurant in the hotel, called the F Street Bistro. The food was excellent and very reasonable. The only caveat was that they charged almost $12 for my coffee (3 refills). It was quickly deducted when I pointed it out. The following night we decided to go back to the same restaurant since we were so pleased with the quality of the food (and again were charged extra for refills, and again had it deducted quickly, so check your bill carefully!). We did not have time to explore the neighborhood since we left early for the conference and came back after dark. The next time, I would want to explore the area much more.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor and very quiet.
2  Thank hollandgirl
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A small group of us from across the country were attending meetings with the Red Cross. Reservations were made for us at this hotel. Many times when this happens the chosen hotel is adequate but not great. That was not true this time. We were all extremely satisfied here. The rooms are large and comfortable (not new and plastic just clean, functional and comfortable), the service was outstanding. Every need or want was met quickly with a smile. Example, when checking out on the last day the desk clerk asked if I needed them to keep my luggage until my departure from the area (my meeting was a block away). Not only did they hold my bag for me they also had a taxi ready for me when I returned to pick it up.
I did not have a car so I did not experience the parking fee but look at the location. You will pay a lot to park anywhere around here.
The restaurant did not quite measure up to the rest of the hotel but we only had one meal there. We did not experience any problems there, it just did not seem to compare to the hotel side. There are several really good restaurants within walking distance and there is no problem walking in the area in the evening.
Overall a very good stay along with productive meetings made for an outstanding trip.

Room Tip: Upper level room in the main tower.
1  Thank ikiser

Dear ikiser,

We appreciate your review and very glad you were extremely satisfied with your recent stay at The State Plaza Hotel. Our goal has always been to match our great location with even greater services to our Guests. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you once Gin on your next visit to Washington DC. Take care.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Spacious suite, clean and well furnished.

Good location, near metro station and within walking distance from many places, IMF, world bank, George Washington University.

Friendly and helpful staff.

Complimentary high speed Wi-Fi.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Soon W
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Soon W,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and we're glad you found our location good and convenient to many places including the Metro and large organizations such as The World Bank, IMF and GWU. We're also happy that our staff was helpful and attentive to your needs. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Washington DC. Take care.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I am so impressed by this hotel. The first night they put me in a very nice room, newly refurbished with plenty of space including large main area, a small kitchen, bathroom and dressing area. The next day, due to construction in that tower, they moved me. The noise was not all the bad and I was not fussed to move but they were concerned I would be disturbed. What a nice surprise to find they moved me to a huge suite and sent me a gift basket and note of apology. Moreover, the staff friendly and service is great. For example, I asked where I could find a post office and they sent someone up with google directions and map. Plus the person I spoke said if it was inconvenient for me to go to the post office myself she would post my letter on her way home. This is customer service beyond compare. Definitely would stay here again, have recommended to our agents in our travel agency and will spread the word on Facebook.

Room Tip: North tower is being renovated and the rooms are gorgeous but was happy with south tower room too
1  Thank harleyziggy
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear harleyziggy,

We are very appreciative of your recommendations and thankful for your review. We apologize for the slight inconvenience while we make improvements but we're also happy you found our newly refurbished rooms very nice. We truly enjoy serving our Guests and glad to have made your stay with us a pleasant one. Until the next time, Cheers!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We recently visited DC for a mini break and stayed in the State Plaza hotel in Foggy Bottom, for us it was a great location within walking distance of all the main attractions we wanted to see. State Plaza is an older hotel that looks to have been recently updated, the room was clean and the bedroom and bathroom were modern. The small kitchenette in the room was clean with fresh paint but the unit and appliances were a little dated. This wasn't a modern luxury hotel but if you are just looking for somewhere comfortable and clean to rest then I would definitely recommend it especially at the great prices.

This is a real hidden gem.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple