“Great Restaurant / Hotel staff not Nice”
Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #32 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I invited my family to DC for the Cherry Blossoms and stayed at the State Plaza Hotel.
The restaurant was great and the staff very attentive, they even accommodated my little brother's food requests.
While we were checking out my little brother was waiting in the lobby and some not nice english man working for the hotel told him not to put his feet on top of the couch and table. Needless to say that put a damper on our whole family weekend.
There are ways things can be said to get the point across and not be mean about it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were in the DC area for a conference at the World Bank, which was a short fifteen minute walk away. The State Plaza was mid-range of those on offer for the meeting, but was much more convenient than any of the others. The staff were friendly and helpful and the price seemed competitive for the area. We did not use the available kitchen except for the fridge and wine glasses. We did use the valet parking, which worked well. The real find, however, was the in-hotel restaurant which offered interesting meals at very good (for Washington) prices - and you need not go out in the rain. The menu offered enough variety that we did not mind eating there two out of the four nights we were there. The pharmacy (which doubles as a food store) and liquor store (for wine) next door made the location even better. While the hotel was quiet, there were a few minor glitches. While the room was well appointed, the plumbing was old. Our toilette kept running (and was quickly repaired when it was reported) and the stopper in the sink did not keep water in the sink. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pharmacy (not facing a road) or the middle of the block are quieter than t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Bob009,

Thank you for posting your review. I am happy to hear how great your stay was with us. Our team works very hard to accommodate each guest’s needs and it is nice to know that you experienced such service. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to our nation’s capital!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We booked a room at this hotel to spend a couple of days at the height of the cherry blossom season. I was looking for a well-priced hotel that was within walking distance of the National Mall/Tidal Basin. This hotel fit the bill. The staff was incredibly helpful, friendly, and courteous. Our room was very big, with a kitchen area and nice linens and toiletries. The hotel itself is a bit dated. I don't care. Everything was very clean and comfortable. My husband, who can be a little fussy, was happy too. We ate breakfast in the restaurant one morning. It was a little pricey but delicious, and we were in and out quickly which kept us on schedule.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacksoj5
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Jacksoj5,

Thank you for such a nice review. I am delighted to know that each aspect of our hotel from our courteous associates to our convenient location was a great fit for your trip to see the cherry blossoms. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had Room 409 for a week's business stay. It was a nice quiet room/ apartment. I particularly liked the kitchen which was big enough for two people to eat in and was well equipped with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The small CVS store next door made buying refreshments very easy. My room was large and very comfortable. The bathroom wasn't so good. It was a little dated and small, the plumbing was a bit "dodgy" and the shower hard to control but it was clean.
The location comments made by other reviews I agree with. Great location for business stay or for visiting kids in uni.
The biggest problem for me came out check out. Company account travellers beware! The hotel receptionist tried to charge me for my room even though my company had already paid. As my colleague and I had stayed there a week, this was a large sum of money. She was quite disinterested and only got the finance people in to sort it out because I was quite persistent.
This isn't acceptable. I've never had this issue before even though I probably travel 20,000 miles a year. This is something that needs attention by the hotel. A simple process to hand over my key should have taken two minutes. It took 30 mins in the end.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Commuterqueen

Dear Commuterqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during check out, as the billing should have been clarified upon check in. Please rest assured knowing that the concerns you have mentioned are being addressed. However it is nice to hear how easily accessible our hotel was for you during your stay and we hope you will give us another chance.

Best Regard,

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My daughter, son, and I went down for the weekend to visit my son at GW for his birthday. We got a good deal online, so the cost was very affordable. The hotel was right down the street from my son's dorm so it was very convenient. We had a two double bed suite with a kitchenette that was comfortable and well provisioned. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was very clean. We loved having HBO, which we don't get at home.I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you stand on a box and crane your neck a bit, you can see the Washington Monument from some of th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy L

Dear Nancy L,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted to hear how much our location and rooms suited your needs while visiting your son at GWU, as it is just steps away. We look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back to the State Plaza.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel used to be an apartment building, our room was big, with a full kitchen. Could use some updating for sure. The beds were comfortable The staff was great. CVS right next door to get snacks and drinks for the room. Foggy Bottom location was great, 10min walk to Lincoln memorial and the National Mall. Bus stop right out front, which drops off at subway station, or a 10-15min walk. It was myself and my teenage son, nice and safe location. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JennRN1966

Dear JennRN1966,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. It is nice to know that you will come back and stay with us again due to our great amenities such as our apartment style rooms and our wonderful service. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Washington, D.C.!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This reasonable-for-DC priced, Foggy Bottom district hotel used to be an apartment building in the heart of GW University. Our studio one-bedroom "suite" was clean and certainly sufficient for a week's stay on mixed business/vacation. My main hesitation to stay there again would be the lack of accessible taxi/cab traffic. After 3 or 4 instances of waiting 10 - 15 minutes to catch a cab, I started working with an on-call limo service to get where I needed to go by car. (Only $2 - $3 more per ride and SO worth it!) The kitchenette in our room had a full-sized fridge, stove top, microwave, dishes, cookware, and, utensils. There was also the standard coffee maker & packets of coffee. The bathroom was small but included a tub and shower. It was difficult to regulate the water temp and the drain was veeeerrrry slow, but, again, it was certainly adequate to meet our needs. The bedroom was very quite, while the sitting area (where the pull-out sofa bed was located) wasn't as insulated and got a bit more of the street noise. The 3-block walk to the metro was easy and there are a few nicer restaurants in the surrounding area. Staff were helpful and friendly. This hotel was priced about $150 per night below the rate of my conference site hotel. Used a AAA discount and it was even better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear StellaStot,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know that our spacious rooms with a full kitchen, and our convenient location were a great fit for you. I, as well as my team enjoy hearing such positive comments regarding their excellent service. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to D.C.