“Quiet experience, responsive staff, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Quiet experience, responsive staff, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for six nights, and it was at least my third or fourth repeat visit. What I love about this property is how spacious and quiet the rooms are. Lili was especially helpful at check-in and honored my multiple room requests (top floor, end, away from the street, etc.). It is not perfect, however, the a/c couldn't be adjusted, and the room was too hot for sleeping. However, it was unusually warm outside and the staff brought me fans within minutes of my request. While I appreciated the spacious kitchen, there was no microwave (this should be standard in all the rooms). The shower temperature was hard to regulate and keep consistent. The computer in the business center is slow. Other pluses: the hotel is a convenient and safe 10-minute walk from the Foggy Bottom Subway station, close to a Whole Foods, and a good neighborhood bar, Tonic. It is a short walk to the monuments where rangers give informative tours on the hour, 2-8 pm. It is also walking distance to the Corcoran Gallery of Art on 17th Street and the White House at 16th and Penn. As a GW B-school alumna, I have access to discounts at numerous Foggy Bottom properties but will continue to stay here given the reasonable price for spacious rooms, a responsive staff and a quiet experience.

Room Tip: High floor may be hotter and the elevators are on the slow side. Rooms that face the second building...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Beth L
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Beth L.,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. I will be sure to inform Lili of how helpful she was in honoring all of your requests upon check-in, as we like to ensure that our guests needs are met. We will be following up on your concerns mentioned regarding the shower and A/C to ensure that these issues do not reoccur. I am happy to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Declan Kealy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

positives; as many have said the location is very good, close to client. Hotel is spacious and clean if not exciting.

Negative: Internet is unreliable, and since i have clients I need to service after my day is done, this is deal breaker for me. This has happened on multiple stays and is corroborated by others in my team. Starting at about 8.30pm local time, so almost certainly bandwidth related. And like most bandwidth problems, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, so I am often dropped in the middle.

Team member has asked about the issue and was told that it was a problem that was being worked on but nothing has changed

Unusable as a business hotel for me. I am moving tomorrow having given up

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iamnotanoun
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Iamnotanoun,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with your feedback. I would first like to apologize for the issues you encountered with our wifi. We do understand how important it is to be able to access the internet in your room, and we have spoken with our IT support team and the issue is currently being resolved, as it transpired to be an issue with our smooth wall equipment. In addition to this we will continue to monitor any necessity for increasing bandwidth. Once again I am very sorry for the experience you encountered, yet grateful that you provided us with your feedback. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again, before doing so please contact me at generalmanager@stateplaza.com.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the first Trip Advisor review I've ever written, but my experience at the State Plaza compels me to do so. My boyfriend and I came to DC over the 4th of July weekend and used Hotwire to book our accommodations. Initially, when I found out we'd be staying at the State Plaza, I was disappointed because it seemed the hotel wasn't that close to a lot of things and their website/pictures online made the rooms appear outdated, but I told myself that we wouldn't be in the room that much anyway and it being safe/clean were really the top priorities.

What a pleasant surprise!!! The State Plaza is a WONDERFUL hotel and I would highly recommend it. All of the interactions we had with staff were great and professional--including when we first checked in and the bell man helped show us to our rooms and told us how it's a family owned hotel. Our room was very spacious with King size bed, full kitchen (four burner stove, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc.), vanity area outside of the bathroom, etc. The pictures I saw of other rooms certainly don't do it justice (maybe those rooms are in the other building? I don't know). The breakfast buffet is a little pricey ($15 per person), but it's delicious and a life saver when you're running low on time. We ate there twice and the third day went to CVS (right next door) and bought bagels and cream cheese and snacks to have in our kitchen.

The walk to the metro is short and well-lit. For the 4th, we planned to go to the National Mall to watch the fireworks, so we wanted someplace nearby that we could walk home to instead of having to deal with the crowds on the metro, and the State Plaza was perfect. If we had bikes from Capitol Bike share we could have also done that.

The only negative thing I can think to say is that the wall in the bathroom was very thin. I could easily hear what people on the other side were saying, but we had no noise issues outside of that--all of the other walls appeared to be much thicker. It's a quiet neighborhood close to the State Department and George Washington University.

The State Plaza is an EXCELLENT value with wonderful accommodations and staff!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tethington
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Tethington,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is nice to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by our remarkable guest service along with the many amenities that we provide. I am delighted to know that our spacious rooms and convenient location helped in making your 4th of July trip a memorable one. We appreciate your recommendation and we can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!

São Paulo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Location is excelente.. close to National Mall, White House, and Foggy Bottom Metro Station... Room accomodations are impressive.. very large and confortable. Breakfast is very good. Staff is helpfull... And price is reasonable for Washington standards, so thats a Hotel I would certainly return and recommend to may friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustAT0urist
Dear JustaT0urist,

We appreciate you posting your review. I am happy to hear that our large sized rooms and helpful associates played a great part in making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to Washington D.C.!

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and got a pretty good deal considering what other hotels in Washington, DC are charging. This hotel is 5-8 minutes walk to Foggy Bottom Metro (which is how we got to the hotel) and 10 minutes walk to the monuments. I doubt you can find a hotel in that price range so close to the monuments.

We were efficiently checked in and given a room on the 12th floor. To get to our room we had to walk up a small flight of stairs, walk to the end of the hallway, cross a parkage to get to the other building before getting into an elevator to get to our room. It didn't bother us but someone with mobility issues may not like that. Our room was big and clean. The only downside about our room was it didn't have a fridge but when we inquired with front desk they had someone bring up a bag of ice right to our room. My one complaint about the room was the construction in the room next door. They were banging away at 8:30 in the morning and for someone who wants to sleep in on their vacation I found that annoying.

There is a CVS right next door to the hotel as well as a liquor store. Some people complained about lack of restaurants near the hotel but I guess it depends what type of food establishments you are looking for. Tonic, Dunking Donuts, Starbucks, Potbelly, and Founding Farmers are not too far. We were quite weary after walking all day and rented bikes from Capital Bikeshare. There are pick-up and drop-off locations close to the hotel.

I would recommend my friend and family to stay here if they visited Washington, DC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luv2Trav3l
Dear Luv2Trav3I,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great hearing that our convenient location and efficient service helped with your touring and sightseeing of Washington D.C. I would however like to apologize in regards to the above mentioned concerns and I have spoken with my construction team to ensure that this does not reoccur. I am very appreciative of your recommendation and we hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to our nation’s capital!

Waretown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I travel pretty often for business and have been to Washington DC on numerous occasions. Most of the time, lodging in downtown areas are challenging to find and can be less than convenient to the location of a meeting or event. One of the typical issues is getting a hotel booked that has a great remodeling of the lobby, but having the rooms less than stellar.

The State Plaza is an older location, but they have maintained the facility in pretty top quality from the two day stay I had. The lobbies and rooms were well maintained and very nicely decorated. I had a room in the "north building" (the hotel has two separate buildings, adjoined by a common garage area). The room was very spacious (not a ton of walking room, but well furnished and updated) with room to work as well as relax.

What was unique about this room was the fact that the entire space looked like it had just been renovated. I asked and the staff had indicated that it had not been done lately, so they maintain the facility extremely well. The bed was comfortable, the environment easily managed via a wall control.

The stay overall was excellent and it is walking distance to food, shops and the mall which allows sightseers to venture out to the Washington Monument in less than 10 minutes. I would recommend this hotel, but understand it is priced on the higher end for nightly accommodations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SteveE461
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear SteveE461,

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to hear about how unique and comfortable you found our newly renovated rooms to be. We are currently undergoing renovations throughout the entire hotel and we are very excited with our new look. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Washington D.C.!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had 2 days vacation so we flew into DCA and stayed at State Plaza. We picked for its price (#1) and for its location (#2). It was very close to all the attractions / exhibits we wanted to see. We were greeted very friendly at our arrival by all the hotel staff we encountered. Everyone here appeared to work well as a team and treated all the guests with the utmost respect. The shower head was magnificent. Bathroom is "dated" as the tile and sink and mirror are old, but very, very well maintained. Hot water is almost instant and is plentiful . Towels soft and luxurious . Has separate vanity and mirror. Kitchen had gas. 4 burner stovetop and refrigerator. HVAC is older but worked very well for us. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert S
Dear Robert S,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our convenient location and courteous service. Our main goal is to ensure our guests have a pleasant and memorable experience, and we are happy to know that you were so pleased during your stay with us. Thank you for choosing the State Plaza and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!