“Really Nice”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #95 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed on the Capital Hilton on August. The hotel is in a really great location. It is at a walking distance from many of the monuments, attractions and metro stations. The rooms are small and simple but yet really nice comfortable and best of all EXTREMELY clean, all the things like bathtub and other furniture in the room seemed to be shortly renovated. It was a great stay for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2011

This hotel is conveniently located near the White House and major attractions. My room was rather small, but clean and comfortable; while housekeepking was diligent in keeping my room nice and clean. Best of all, no bedbugs!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Washington, D.C. is a city of hotels. Many are expensive, most are crowded, and more often than not, the staff act as if you are lucky to have the opportunity to give them a tip for opening the door for you. The Capital Hilton does not fit this mold.

First, the staff allowed me to check in at 10:30 AM on my day of arrival although I fully expected the room not be ready. The staff at the front desk were extremely pleasant. The room was large (by D.C. standards) and clean, without any signs of wear. Similarly, the bathroom was perfectly functional with no features that got in the way. Every morning the housekeeping staff was very friendly. On my last day, the hotel allowed me a 2 p.m. checkout which worked perfectly for my schedule.

This is not an inexpensive hotel with free upgrades. Internet access was $14 per day. Access to the gym was $15 per day. The resturant and room service were decent but very expensive.

If you are going to D.C. for business or pleasure this is a good hotel if you are the kind of person who wants to remember the trip and not the hotel stay. In other words, the hotel will make your trip better by not making your trip bad.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2011

A very nice hotel. It was a great location within walking distance of three metro stops. We had a bed and breakfast rate, so we ate at the buffet every morning. Great food with outstanding servers.

Room Tip: Try to get the bed and breakfast room rate. It makes it that much more affordable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here one evening, Saturday 8/20/11. I had read many reviews on here and was originally concerned about bedbugs, which I am happy to report I did not experience in my room.

Pros:
- Awesome location two blocks from the White House. Right near St. Regis and Hay Adams hotel.
- Nice shower with good pressure and hot water (this place strikes you as old so I was happy the water worked).
- AC worked well.

Cons:
- LACK OF SERVICE: Arrived at 2pm (check-in at 3pm) and after relinquishing my car for $42 for the valet to park it, the front desk person barely looked my name up before saying "the room type you reserved is not ready yet and should be available at around 3pm". There was no acknowledgement of Hilton Gold status and she was more eager to get onto the next guest then to assist me further. So I got to sit in the lobby for 45 minutes and watch several others get checked in (to queen size rooms, same as what I booked). I finally got up and asked them at 2:45pm to do something since I could not leave my work laptop with the concierge and I had to be somewhere at 3:30pm. The new desk agent then told me she would try...and eventually she came up with a room on the 5th floor (apparently I was blocked in a room on 6, never considered for an upgrade nor ever offered one). No mention of gold status or acknowledgement of Hhonors loyalty, and the attitude was more along the line of she was doing me a favor which I quickly got tired of. In the end she sent me to an average room, but I was happy to get in so I could get my laptop in the safe and get out to meet the others I was meeting up with. I was told I would have access to the Executive lounge for breakfast (which was true...she actually said I forgot to add it onto your key so I will add it). No mention of free internet either so I had to call down to figure that out and get some secret passcode to get logged in that supposedly was on my keypacket (it wasnt).

- Very long hallways, room was very far in. Big place.

- VERY NOISY. Other guests are right, the walls are thin and my room had connections on both sides so I could hear everything next door, and I heard lovely crowds screaming outside at 2am. Not a good night's sleep which annoyed me most the next morning.

- PARKING: $42 per night. Ouch. Yes there are garages nearby cheaper, but many were closed on sundays (I was there on a Saturday night). So I chalked it up. Need to plan 20 mins in advance before you actually need your car so they can go fetch it.

- Note I saw a prior review where manager said he would post on the website the hours for the Exec lounge. That hasn't happened yet. Although I went up there briefly Sat. night around 8pm and it was open with an attendant, and was a nice setup. I did not get to have breakfast there the next morning due to schedule.

I was annoyed enough with the check-in experience and the noise to leave a message during my stay for GM Gary (I think that;s the guy who responds to these). Gary was probably off Saturday but he did call me on Tuesday.

Overall - this place bills itself as a HILTON (not a Garden Inn, not a Hampton). I think the location and size causes the staff to get into "mass production" mode and treat guests without the level of service and appreciation I have experienced in almost all of the other Hilton's I have visited.

I will not be returning to this hotel and would never recommend this for a business traveler due to the insane level of noise in the rooms (from hallway and adjoining rooms). Personally though, the lack of service is what makes me decide to never return for pleasure either.

I'm rating it average but was highly disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Red_Dolphin-Media
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The staff from the front desk, concierge, Statler Lounge, housekeeping, and parking attendants were very helpful and courteous. The location was centrally located if you want to tour the city. The area was very safe to walk around late at night and to go for a run early in the morning. We did not expect a view (which I didn't mind), but we did have a clean room and a comfy bed )))

Just FYI Call the valet parking attendants 20 minutes prior to check-out or you'll wait 20 minutes for your car to arrive after check-out.
There is a daily overnight parking fee of $42. Also, there is a fee if you want to use the gym and the internet.

Room Tip: If you need something ask politely and be courteous.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The staff was friendly, the room was small but very nice. I did experience a lot of noise like others mentioned but not too late at night. It sounded like the adjoining room's bathroom was next to my bed room and that was strange. The location was perfect. Everything was clean and well maintained. I had a queen room overlooking a roof so not much to see out of it! I would go back due to location and comfort of room. I stayed on AAA rate so I don't know if that impacted location of room given. This hotel is pricey (like all DC) when Congress is in session. Metro was quite convenient.

Room Tip: If I could I'd stay on executive floor as it seemed more oriented to business travel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business