“Pleasant stay close to the White House”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #97 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Sydney, Australia
“Pleasant stay close to the White House”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton, in what seems to be quite a historic hotel with classic, elegant styling. The location was good - only a couple of blocks to the White House and a block away to a couple of different subway stations. The room was spacious and well appointed but walls are too thin as we could hear the people in room next door quite clearly. We felt the service was great and is what you would expect at a Hilton, apart from the concierge disappearing on a toilet break when we were in a bit of a hurry and the related confusion (got to do what you got to do?! lol). And after having come in from New York, we felt it was fantastic value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Devon
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The staff in the Capital Hilton were very helpful. Breakfast is good. The executive rooms are very nicely laid out but there is a lot of noise from interconnecting rooms. It's a great shame that one has to pay for wifi and the gym in such an otherwise fine hotel, hence the marking of average.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Jackson TN
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We stayed 1 night at the Capitol Hilton. This is a fabulous hotel within walking distance to the White House and numerous monuments in DC. Check in was fast and the rooms were spacious and very comfortable. Large flat screen tv and spacious bathroom. The ac and heating in the room was very efficient and quiet. The beds were great and we slept well. Very historic hotel in DC. We did not drive so I do not have info on parking. The staff was super friendly and every request was met to 5 star expectations. Part of restaurant was under renovation,so we dined at the numerous restaurants nearby. Beautiful banquet and conference rooms for events from business to elegance. This is a wonderful hotel! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Seeing as we only paid $95 for this hotel on Hotwire, which showed on the Hilton website as being available for $195 I really hesitate to "complain" about anything.

The location can't be beat. Exit the hotel lobby, look left ... hello White House. This was by far the best part of this hotel. There is a Starbucks on the opposite corner, as well as a pub-style restaurant (PJ Clark's). There is a breakfast/lunch place at the other end of the block towards 15th Street, as well as another Starbucks and a Potbelly Sandwich just on the other side fo 15th Street.

Large lobby, quick check-in. Front desk staff were friendly. Concierge never seemed to be at the desk when we needed information. Small gift store in the lobby, found a decently priced mug and shot glass. They allowed us to check in early, which was nice as we arrived several hours before their posted check-in time. The room was clean, well appointed and bright. Our room faced 16th Street but we heard very little noise from the street below. The room itself was a bit on the small side but nicely decorated. VERY comfy bed. Bathroom was large, bright and spotless. Although we had indicated in our reservation that we had 2 adults and 1 child we were only given one queen bed. The room was booked through Hotwire though, so I don't know that I can fault the hotel for this. We went down to the front desk and asked for a rollaway bed to be brought to the room. Since we were heading out at that time we told them there was really no rush, as we'd be gone for most of the afternoon. However when we returned nearly 6 hours later there was still no bed. The front desk staff said they'd send someone up right away, which they did.

The hotel parking lot was full when we arrived. The hotel staff that we spoke to wasn't very helpful as to where else we could park. Thankfully we had jotted down some lots in the area before we arrived. We parked in a lot just down an alley off of K Street, about halfway between 16th and 15th. It was $32 for 24 hours, which was $10 cheaper than the hotel valet parking. They close at night and over the weekend though, so be sure to check their hours.

All in all a great location. I would not have been pleased had I paid full price for the room, but given what I did pay I was more than happy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CDNJehn
Melbourne
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Front Office staff act as if they are doing you a favour by even talking to you. I guess that due to their location they're really busy & don't have to try too hard for business and it shows.

I have stayed in over 400 hotels in many different countries and some of the staff at this reception are amongst the rudest and most unhelpful I have ever come across. Frankly, the glory days of this hotel have passed. The Hotel is in a great location & fine if you don't expect too much. However, there's no way I would stay there again. Hilton's in the US generally seem to be of a much lower standard & the poor relations compared to their namesakes overseas.

As for the 'Executive Lounge', what a joke! 50% of the so called 'Executives' are under 11 years old. May be it was just the time that I was visting, but on the 4 days I visited the lounge was packed, largely with families and a real mess. No seats, crockery and on some days, even food.

My experience wasn't helped by the young guys in the room opposite having a full on noisy party in the middle of the night either. Nah. Never agin.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank olig
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife, our two kids and my parents all took a train down to DC for a five day trip together. We came because my brother had a musical he wrote that was playing in town, but spent most of our time touring the museums, the monuments, and THE RESTAURANTS! The hotel was very nice. We had a huge room on a high floor with two queens that actually looked down the street onto the White House, just two blocks away. The rooms were inexpensive and came with a really, really good breakfast buffet (and not the powdered eggs and froot loops kind, a real omelet station, fresh fruit, yogurt and lots of baked goods, meats and the like). They have a nice workout/weight room and a spa on site, but no pool. However, if you're going to DC for any reason and you want to be close to everything that DC has to offer, I highly recommend the Capital Hilton.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The things I didnt like:

$42.00 Parking-There was no other option for parking on a Saturday afternoon so if you go on the weekend be prepared to pay the fee. Also be prepared that none of the valet attendants will want to help in your search for more affordable parking. They were all nice gentleman but not accomodating in that regard what so ever. There is a parking garage on 16 and I for about 12-15.00 but its closed on Sunday so if your there on a Saturday like we were you might as well forget about it.

Smallest bathroom ever-The bathrooms are extremely small or at least in our room. You can literally wash your hands in the sink, use the toilet and wash your leg in the shower all at the same time.

Small room-I think that had it been more than two of us we would have went insane but since it was just us two we could deal with the room being so small. I would have to say it is small like the rooms in Downtown Manhattan (if any of you are familiar with how small they can be).

Rooms are not sound proof-I always like to choose a high floor corner room (not only because they are normally the biggest) but they are the furthest away from elevators and other guest rooms well low and behold this didnt matter here. We could here every conversation every slamming door and ever drunking giggle. The next morning we were playing music on the laptop at a moderate level (im 30+ now i appreciate my hearing now, no need to blast music) and to my suprise upon leaving the room our neighbor across the hall says hey was that you all playing that song earlier I love that song. I couldnt do anything but shake my head (yes) as I was mortified. :)

Check your acct- They charged us an additional $33.00 (on top of the 42.00 parking fee and 75.00 incidentals hold) and upon us calling they couldnt figure out why and said to wait a few days to see if it dropped off...need I say more.

Dirty linens-As soon as we checked in I went into the room; wanted to lay down. I was about to lay on the pillow and noticed that all the pillow cases were filthy. I am talking like someone had thrown them on the floor (brown smudges). We called and suprisingly the front desk lady was just so matter of fact about it like it was normal, no one once apologized. They did send someone up within 5 mins and he changed the pillow cases, he was very nice, but at that point I was examining everything.

Internet-is not free I believe the fee was like 11 or 12.00

Beds-they were so so I have slept on more comfortable beds (or maybe I am just being nit picky at this point; you decide)

The things that were ok:

Staff-They were all friendly and assisted me anytime I needed anything.

Area-good location for tourist wanting to visit the white house or mall

Overall, I will probably never stay at this hotel again, unless my mystery bid on priceline picks it , but for those who are purely location shopping for the white house, the mall and the monuments then this may be a good place for you.

Room Tip: parking garage on 16 and I, if you are there during the weekday, its about 2 or 3 blocks up