“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #98 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here on business in January, 2012. When I made my reservations online, I was offered the opportunity to select a room on the Executive Floor at a discounted rate, which I accepted. The benefit of doing this allow me access to the Executive Lounge on the 10th floor which provides free access to food and beverages and free internet access which would normally cost $15/day. So this was a good deal.

My room was on the 14th floor. It was small but nicely appointed and recently renovated. I would call the style "updated traditional" which is fitting decor for a DC area hotel but it had a modern touch. The bed was fantastic! The sheets, pillows and mattress were all super comfy and I slept like a baby. Don't expect a great view from the room, though. Many rooms face other buildings or other parts of the hotel as mine did. Even though the room was small, it had everything I needed-- a nice desk with great chair, adequate lighting, nice TV, two spacious closets and a sufficiently stocked bathroom. At first I liked the smell of the bath products but after a couple of days, the smell was getting to me. A bit on the strong side but that's all minor stuff.

Hotel check-in staff were very courteous as were all the staff I encountered. They were doing some construction in the lobby when I was there so there was a bit of a mess but that's temporary.

Beware of the business center computers, though. I paid by the minute to use the computer and printer only to discover that the printers were out of toner, thus a waste of time and money. I called the third-party manager of the business center machines to request a refund and I'm still waiting. Lesson learned.

The fitness center on the main level looks to be well appointed but it will cost you $15/day to use it if you're not a Hilton Honors member of a certain level. Just beware of this.

Lastly, the hotel couldn't be in a better location. Just steps away from the White House's front lawn and other noteworthy attractions. I couldn't be happier about that. Overall, not bad and I'll consider another stay here when returning to the DC area.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, be sure to request it.
3  Thank no1saluki
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I sincerely appreciate your kind feedback and I look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future. Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,266)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

One way home to Alabama after spending last several days at our nations Capitol. The Capitol Hilton was an excellent choice, location was 2.5 blocks from White House. Walk out of Hilton lobby and look to your left and there it is. My wife and son had buffet breakfast which came with room each morning and said food and service was good. I walked each morning half a block to StarBucks to get my morning started and later would walk few blocks to McDonalds to get myself and other son breakfast. Each night we eat at a different resturant and all was in walking distance. There were some remodeling going on in lobby which you never knew unless you walked thru. All the staff was very very friendly and always asking if they could help.
When we checked in after host had our room,I asked about room with a view, she said let me check. She said I can get you a room with better view but won't be as large. I choose room with view ( view was of Washington Post building ) and as far as room size, the one we stayed in was very large. Beds were very comfortable I had read reviews prior to our trip of some complaining about noise at night. The last time I checked DC is a major city which has city noises. I was waken one night by a fire truck, didn't think anything other than, there must be a fire. Bus stops right in front of Hilton ( we did not use bus ) but walked to few different metros all of which was reasonable walking distance. If a cab was needed, there always cabs sitting at curb. If I ever go back to DC, the Capital Hilton will be where I stay. Thanks Capitol Hilton for making our trip very enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Doddhome1
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you for your kind and gracious TripAdvisor review. It was not just refreshing but very welcoming and reassuring. I sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to have the opportunity to serve you and your family again in the future. Best regards.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I'm a Hilton girl, what can I say? I had a terrific weekend rate and the hotel was super nice. The bellmen out front were just so personable and awesome. I just wish the executive lounge had been open for more than breakfast. You can walk to everything and 3 different metro line stops are all within a couple blocks.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank lovetoflygirl
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for your kind feedback and for being a loyal client of the Hilton Family brand of hotels. I sincerely appreciate your loyalty and hope to foster further the business and customer service relationship. Best regards.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip. I paid just under $200 and thought it was a great value for the area. Its an easy walk to The Mall and the White House and has many decent restaurants near it. I agree with other reviewers that the decor is a bit tired, but I was pleasantly surprised by my room's size which was large by DC standards. In addition, the staff were prompt and helpful.

1  Thank MNtravgrl
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Thank you for your positive TripAdvisor review. It provides us positive reinforcement and inspires motivation to become better. I look forward to welcome you back and to hear from you more. Kind regards.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I paid $370/night for a standard room with a king sized bed but that price didn't include the fitness room, wireless Internet, or breakfast. I don't know about parking fees because I didn't have a car. The rooms were clean but the decor of the entire hotel felt dated, like things hadn't been updated or renovated in many years. The hotel restaurant is expensive and the service wasn't very good. I won't stay at this hotel again. The only good thing about the hotel its its location but there are other hotels in the same area that give you much better value for your dollar.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your thoughtful and very candid TripAdvisor review. As in most big cities, hotel rates in Washington DC vary depending on supply and demand for rooms. Capital Hilton is not an exception.I sincerely appreciate your business and look forward for your reconsideration in your future travels.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

just got back from washington and this was a great place to stay. as for location, could not have been better....two block walk to the metro, which takes you everywhere you would want to go. it was only one block from the white house and like a ten fifteen minute walk to the museum area. you do have to know where you are going though or it is easy to get lost. as for the hotel, we ate in sever high end restaurants and let me tell you, the breakfast at the north gate is better than anywhere else. the bar in the lobby also has high end fare that is well priced and delicious. i would be remiss if i did not comment laura g from the front desk for her help. when my key went blank, i guess i had it near my cell phone, she immediately came running up to give me a replacement. keep in mind that there was an event and the hotel was super busy, she still managed to help me out. it is a staff member like laura that makes a person want to keep coming back to a hotel. overall, great place, great food, great choice.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed fine
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hamptons7

Thank you for your wonderful TripAdvisor review. I am delighted that one of our team members did a superb job while you were at the front desk. I appreciate your positive comments and we look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property. in the future, if not sooner. Best regards.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed in this hotel on my recent trip to DC,got it for around usd 115 per night

By the time i arrived,i was surprised there is no parking spot in the hotel,instead yi was somewhat forced to pay 45 usd for the valet,i decided to look around and got the parking spot near the gym entrance for free but i have to wake up at 7 to pay at the meter

The room is good but looks somewhat dated and a bit dirty,there's some kind of sticky residue on the table and when i got to the room,the TV was not plugged (i thought the tv is broken or something)

The bathroom amenities are good,the towel is good,and the coffee maker also works as the kettle for heating up the water

The check in process was fast,less than 5 minutes,but i got a room that's really far from the elevator

Room Tip: Park near the gym entrance,free from 10pm to 7am
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank synequano
gbrown231, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you on a return visit to Washington. Greg Brown, General Manager