“Nice Location for seeing the sights”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #97 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Great location about 4 blocks from the White House. They are remolding the front lobby at this time…looks like the final stages. We’re were upgraded to a large corner room due to my Diamond status. Unfortunately, we stayed on Friday evening and the Executive Lounge didn’t have the standard Happy hour…but the breakfast the next morning was enjoyable. I hope their next remodel is the Executive Lounge as its old and tired looking.

As for parking…$45 is crazy. Walk one block West and one block North (on M Stree). Right across the street from the National Geographic Museum...I think it's called R&L parking. It’s only $22 for 24 hours.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MocNJen
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. You are absolutely right. We are on the final stages in our all-encompassing $30 million renovation. The future is bright for the Executive Lounge in the same way we have transformed our new restaurant , North Gate Grill and hotel lounge, Statler lounge. We truly appreciate your thoughtful and gracious comments. We have always, and will continue to recognize how important our Diamond members to our success.. We value your continued patronage and we hope to bring to light the best service and hospitality our hotel can offer. We sincerely hope to see you soon at the historic Capital Hilton.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I have now stayed at both of DC's big Hilton hotels (Washington and Capital). This is by far the nicer and more charming of the two. Great location at 16th and K streets, with many restaurants nearby. They have a classy bar and restaurant. The room was traditional and had an odd layout, but was very large with a separate seating area. I wouldn't normally stay here at their rack rate prices but there was a discount rate for the meeting I was attending.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate your gracious comments and your loyalty to the Hilton Family brand of hotels. We take pride in our product and our friendly welcoming staff and hope that we will have every opporutnity to welcome you back to our property in all your travels to Washington, DC. Kind regards.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stay in Hilton properties all the time, Doubletrees and Hampton Suites and Hilton Garden Inns (my girlfriend is a Diamond member). The Capital Hilton is somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as overall quality.

First, let me give you the pluses. Our elegantly-decorated room on the Executive floor was large, with a very comfortable king-size bed, nice couch and coffee table/ottoman, large flat-screen tv, huge bathroom with great working shower, etc. The staff in the hotel is very friendly, and if you ask for something, they will find it for you. For example, when we checked out the Executive dining room on our first night there and mentioned we were looking for ice, the fellow in the dining room brought us a huge bucket of ice, a larger bucket than the one that came with our room!

Now for the not-so-pluses. No refrigerator in the room (or microwave, for that matter). The Executive breakfast, while there was plenty to eat - nice fruit, breads and jams and such - was disappointing: nasty hard-boiled eggs with sulfured green yolks being the only protein, no cold cuts or freshly made eggs or salmon or any of that sort of thing. And the only non-citrus juice was cranberry, so for people with sensitive stomachs, there was no beverage option other than coffee or milk. Hiltons we have stayed in in Paris and Toledo, Spain had breakfasts that absolutely blow away what the Capital Hilton has.

So the next morning we decided to order room service breakfast: salmon and bagel w/capers etc. for me, eggs with sausage for my girlfriend. We had a bottle of Cava that we had brought with us to make our Valentine's Day weekend mimosas. Great. Then I went to take a sip of water and discovered that there was lipstick and other schmutz around the rim of the glass. They had given us dirty water glasses! How nasty! Well, to their credit, the hotel manager comped our breakfast and also gave us some Hilton points to apologize. But still, that was a very unfortunate oversight.

So overall, not a bad hotel. But compared to other major Hiltons we have seen, this one does not make the mark. Oh, and of course the location is great, but... on the weekends, this neighborhood empties out. There was nobody on the sidewalk when we walked from the hotel to restaurants and museums nearby. And restaurants tend to close early, so for dinner you need to take a taxi or Metro downtown to F Street or to Adams Morgan. I.e., not a "happening" neighborhood around the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charming_Karl
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your thoughtful and genuinely candid TripAdvisor review. I would like to thank you personally for your gracious compliments to our staff and at the same time apologize for the services in areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. With your feedback, we are encouraged even more to become better. We look forward to welcome you back to our property in the future. Kind regards.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

The location could not be better - Super easy walk to the Nat'l Portrait Gallery & The Nat'l Art and History Museums, the Mall/Monuments and the White House is just 2 blocks away. We even walked to the Kennedy Center. The Hotel & Bell staff are very friendly ... The staff in the North Gate Grill are especially efficient and friendly - We had a wonderful buffet breakfast there each morning - freshly made omelets and eggs, freshly prepared waffles, a large variety of muffins & breads, a nice sampling of yogurts & fruit, oatmeal & granola and more. Our room was on the 11th floor (executive level) ... it was quite large with a comfortable bed; clean and very quiet ... absolutely no complaints. The hotel is in the process of a lobby renovation - which is being done as unobtrusively as possible ... and they are doing quite a nice job. All in all a very nice stay in our nation's capital. By the way, try to take a side trip to Mount Vernon ... we spent an entire afternoon there - it is an astoundingly wonderful educational experience. The mansion, outbuildings, grounds, museum and the tour guides and staff are a simply amazing ... and even more amazing is the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association which has owned and operated the estate since 1853!

1  Thank susie056
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for gracious comments and for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted to hear that you made the most of your time while visiting the Nation's capital and that our convenient location and friendly staff factored in the success of your visit. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast in our North Grill Restaurant along with your accomodation in our Executive level room. We take pride in our product and our friendly. welcoming staff . We sincerely appreciate and very grateful for your trip advsior review and recognition. . We look forward to welcome you back to the Capital Hilton in the future. Kind regards.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed on short business trip to DC and cannot fault this hotel.

Excellent service from front desk to lobby bar to bell desk and Hilton executive lounge.

Not the largest rooms but well equipped, clean and comfortable.

Excellent location on 16th St NW just a few blocks from Whitehouse and major Federal offices.

Really incredible value for location and service standards.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank nichetraveller

Thank you for your gracious Tripadvisor review. It was certainly very refreshing and reassuring to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I sincerely appreciate your comments and we look forward to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Best regards.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Loved, loved the location. Very clean, comfortable hotel. We had the valet park our car when we arrived for 3 nights and didn't pick it up until the day we were checking out. We did bus tours, walked the Tidal Basin, walked throughout the entire Capital Hill area and were delighted that we didn't even have to take a cab. Friendly staff and location make this a perfect for sightseeing and enjoying the Cherry Blossom Festival in April - simply gorgeous.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shepherd35
rapidresponse, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Thank you for gracious comments and for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted to hear that you made the most of your time while visiting the Nation's capital and that our incredibly convenient location and friendly staff factored in the success of your visit. We take pride in our product along with our friendly and welcoming staff . We sincerely appreciate and very grateful for your distinct recognition . In fact, we are encouraged even more to become better.. We look forward to welcome you back to the Capital Hilton in the future. Kind regards.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here on business in January, 2012. When I made my reservations online, I was offered the opportunity to select a room on the Executive Floor at a discounted rate, which I accepted. The benefit of doing this allow me access to the Executive Lounge on the 10th floor which provides free access to food and beverages and free internet access which would normally cost $15/day. So this was a good deal.

My room was on the 14th floor. It was small but nicely appointed and recently renovated. I would call the style "updated traditional" which is fitting decor for a DC area hotel but it had a modern touch. The bed was fantastic! The sheets, pillows and mattress were all super comfy and I slept like a baby. Don't expect a great view from the room, though. Many rooms face other buildings or other parts of the hotel as mine did. Even though the room was small, it had everything I needed-- a nice desk with great chair, adequate lighting, nice TV, two spacious closets and a sufficiently stocked bathroom. At first I liked the smell of the bath products but after a couple of days, the smell was getting to me. A bit on the strong side but that's all minor stuff.

Hotel check-in staff were very courteous as were all the staff I encountered. They were doing some construction in the lobby when I was there so there was a bit of a mess but that's temporary.

Beware of the business center computers, though. I paid by the minute to use the computer and printer only to discover that the printers were out of toner, thus a waste of time and money. I called the third-party manager of the business center machines to request a refund and I'm still waiting. Lesson learned.

The fitness center on the main level looks to be well appointed but it will cost you $15/day to use it if you're not a Hilton Honors member of a certain level. Just beware of this.

Lastly, the hotel couldn't be in a better location. Just steps away from the White House's front lawn and other noteworthy attractions. I couldn't be happier about that. Overall, not bad and I'll consider another stay here when returning to the DC area.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, be sure to request it.