“A nice weekend stay”

Ranked #96 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Tallahassee, Florida
“A nice weekend stay”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked online through Hotwire and got a great rate of 100/night here. My husband and I just wanted to take a long weekend trip with our 2yo son and thought DC would be a good place to go. I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was clean and everyone was very accommodating. And we asked for a lot of accommodations including a fridge, a roll-away bed, extra towels, extra pillows, a wine bottle opener, and additional coffee. When my husband spilled something on the bed, housekeeping came up and changed all the linens. Every request was met happily and quickly. We were offered wifi and breakfast for $40 a day, but we passed. On day 3 we found a great hole-in-the-wall breakfast place a block away called The Sunrise Café. The breakfast was tasty and cheap ($3 for a breakfast sandwich on a bagel). I wish we had known about it because we would have eaten there every day. The hotel is very close to two Metro stations, Farragut North and Farragut West. If you're coming from the airport, go to the Farragut West station. It's a more direct route and the stations are literally across the street from each other. There are lots of places to eat around the hotel and the White House is 2 blocks away. It's quite a walk to the National Mall and monuments, so unless you want to walk a lot, I recommend taking the Metro to that area. There's also a Whole Foods nearby (about 6-8 blocks). Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Your gracious feedback is quite refreshing and very reassuring. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Nation's Capital. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a wonderful time during our stay here. Our only complaint was that is was a bit difficult to reach hotel staff by phone when we needed something (e.g., towels, glasses, extra pillows) delivered to the room. Phones would ring for a while before someone answered or no one answered at all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Don't get me wrong, there is not an inherent problem with this hotel. I have stayed here a few times now. It is ideally located for the White House and many museums. The staff are great but it is simply not the greatest example of Hilton that I've ever stayed at.

The rooms are a decent size and always clean and reasonably comfortable, but the corridors look at bit tired and faded and it does not have that really classy feel that you may expect from a Hilton at the epicentre of the nation's capital. They could really do with taking a look at the in-room furniture, it feels "well used", and on this occasion the bathroom was nothing to write home about, unfortunately I have now forgotten which room number.

As a Gold member of Hhonors, access is provided to the Exec lounge but it is not really designed for leisurely use, more focused on short stops for breakfast or coffee. The bar/restaurant is fine with good staff, the food is unpretentious here too and appropriately priced.

Room Tip: It's quieter to have a room that doesn't face the street, but be prepared to be overlooked f...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony D
Washington, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

No refrigerator, microwave or complimentary Wi-Fi. The beds are comfortable and the room was clean. For the price of the room you would think that you would at least have a refrigerator. I guess that's their way of ensuring that you dine in their restaurant or order room service. So get something that you will be able to eat all at once cause their is no way to preserve it. I hope you don't any medications that need to stay cold because you will be making a few trips to the ice machine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Monique S
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

It's a great place if you do not have a car to drive around in D.C. for historic sites. Close to many shops, restaurants and subway. We stayed in the business floor and had different breakfast parlor, but it was packed and the hotel gave us passes for eating in the main breakfast/dinning area.

Stayed May 2013
Memphis
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I arrived at the hotel at 12:30 with check in at 4pm. The woman at the front desk told me that rooms were available, but not the "special room" that they had for me. I left my phone number and checked my bags with the bellmen. While eating lunch at a restaurant I received a call that my room was ready. When I returned to the hotel the were long lines of people snaking through the lobby. Luckily they were not checkin in. They were at the Hilton for a speech by President Obama. I eventually made my way to my room. My thoughts of having been upgraded as a Gold Hilton Honors member were dashed. The room was a junior suite that I had booked. The view out the window was of the back of the hotel and the adjacent Brazilian consulate. The furniture in the room was worn and rugs in the hallway and the lobby were held down with duck tape. All in all not the "special room" I was waiting for.
The staff, particularly the doormen and the room maids, were friendly and helpful.
I did not have time to use the gym, but it seemed pretty large.
In summary the Capital Hilton is well located for sight seeing and meetings at the Convention Center, but does not knock your socks off.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Arrived about noon, they would not let me check in unless I paid an extra 25 dollars.,like everyone else I would have been fine if I was told to come back at check in time,4 pm, but try on to hustle 25 bucks out of me was bizarre, especially after I was thanked for being in the Hilton's honors program. I don't mind being told, no check in till 4, but to ask for money is just pathetic. Anyway I went to lunch and then noticed people getting checked in at 130. So I checked in,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business