“Capitol Hilton”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #95 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 April 2014

the hotel and accommodations were old and not fitting of the Hilton Brand. The hotel needs to update the corridors and rooms. The bathroom amenities were of poor quality and the bathroom itself was very small

Reviewed 31 March 2014

When we booked this room we didn't realize how close it was to the White House. Imagine our surprise when discovered we were only a block and a half away! We immediately took my grandson for a walk to check it out. Oh, and the beds were super comfortable too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

To pay 319 a night for a room plus 50 dollars for tax you expect a good room. It was small. The bathroom was extremely small. The bed was lumpy. I will never come back here again. The location is perfect to see the White House. Staff is very helpful

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank stentdoc
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your guest room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I want to compliment Theresa Thomas who works at the Front Desk. She was more than helpful on several occasions during our stay. Even when we had a little hiccup, she made it right for us. In addition, Theresa gave us helpful tips during our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Nation's Capital. We appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a great hotel in a good location - usually top notch. This stay had two major hiccups that don't normally happen with Hilton properties. Went to go to be and pulled the sheets back to see they had not been changed. Make-up, hair - quite obvious. Upon check-out the valet could not find my car keys. Waited 90 minutes until they found them in another car parked in the garage. I consider them isolated to a couple individuals, and not so much the property itself.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review and sharing your feedback with us.
We would like to apologize for the services in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We will make sure all of your comments are shared with the Hotel Management.
We truly appreciate your comments and observations and we look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Capital Hilton in the future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was very disappointed that the hotel was not more careful and attentive to the needs of people with disabilities. I stayed at your property from March 24th-26th for the 2014 Arthritis Summit. I use a motorized wheelchair, so the Foundation had requested an accessible room when booking.

First when I arrived at 3:30, the Room (981) wasn't ready, and wasn't ready by 5:00 when I had to go to a meeting associated with the summit. My roommate checked in, and when my meeting was over at 7:00PM, and I'd checked in and went to the room, my roommate (who also mobility impaired and needed an accessible bathroom)) was very upset and said this is NOT an accessible room! She was right. When we called down to the front desk, we were told "yes it is an accessible room... you know there are different levels of accessibility. I have lived with my disability since the age of 11. A place is either accessible or it is NOT. There aren't "levels" of accessibility.

I was then told that there were no accessible rooms that had 2 beds) available. Consequently, we had to choose between doing the best with the non accessible room or moving to a room with a king bed and having a roll away bed added. This wound not have been acceptable as the roll away would have left no room for the chair or to move around. Also, both of us are affected by arthrits and would not have been able to sleep in a roll away bed (these are too low and not supportive enough The final option would have been for one of us to take the accessible room for one of us and having to choose who would take the regular room (and for the Foundation incur an extra expense). Because I'm able to leave my chair and walk for very short distances We elected to remain in the room, and an engineer came and installed a shower seat in the tub. The engineer was Anthony Hoston, and he was the ONLY staff person at the property who I would describe as helpful. He was shocked that the front desk considered the room accessible. This made the bathroom barely useable for me. My roommate also had trouble. I made sure to use the accessible restrooms on the second floor before going up to the room as much as possible so I didn't need to use the bathroom as much. Showering was barely possible, and I elected not to shower the second morning I was there as it was just too difficult. This was in no way ideal.

I spent from 7 until 9 or so on this when what I needed to do was find some dinner (I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic) and rest and conserve my limited amount of energy for the upcoming busy day. I was told by the front desk that room 981 was a hearing impaired room. The Arthritis Foundation was very clear when booking the room that it would be used by someone in a wheelchair and another person with a mobility impairment. I would make the suggestion that you work on educating/training staff with respect to disabilities, accessibilities and the ADA.

Also, as another observation, when I went to breakfast on Tuesday the 25th, I noticed that the people putting out the baked goods and breads didn't use gloves but handled food with their bare hands. I (and quite a few others) elected not to eat the bread. Other people noticed this too and the watchword was "toast the bread and muffins before you eat them." It was really unsanitary and unappetizing. It was fortunate that I had some crackers in my room, but I would have preferred some bread or toast.

The summit was wonderful. The only sour part of the trip was that the hotel was really sub par. I would not use a Hilton hotel again if there were any other option. I was really disappointed in the Hilton

Room Tip: Poor service, Not responsive to people with disabilities. No pool. Bed are pretty confortable. Ba...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. If you would please contact us directly, we will be more than happy to further discuss your stay with you.

Greg Brown

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hotel is located in a nice location. Staffs were very friendly, especially the restaurant staff Nancy and Sang - your service to our children were awesome...thank you! Had issues with connecting rooms for our first night but it was resolved during our second night of stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your kind comments and were pleased to learn of your experience at the Capital Hilton. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.
Regards