“Loved It”

Capital Hilton
Ranked #93 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Loved It”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Usually stay at the Washington Hilton but gave the Capitol Hilton a try. From the minute Steve checked me in, and he was a helpful presence throughout my stay, I was treated with great care.

Though the hotel does not have great curb appeal, everything else about it is outstanding. Large King bedded room with very comfortable bed. Quiet and excellent cooling system.

Decent sized bathroom with thick towels. Excellent water pressure.

The lobby is very pleasant and welcoming. And there is delicious flavored water during the day.

As an Honors Gold member, I had access to the Executive Lounge. Great breakfast and water and coffee all day. I did not make it to the evening happy hour.

And the gym! State of the art. Among the best I have ever been to in any hotel chain.

A great choice in a great location. Steps to the Metro and sights and short walk to Logan and DuPont Circles.

Great choice. And thanks again, Steve.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Brooklyntraveling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
boston
Reviewed 22 July 2014

very close to white house and all downtown DC attractions. Several METRO locations also very close. All in it should be a winner but it was only adequate. Place is often overrun with unruly groups of conventioneers or the like, most of the doors on the rooms are the old-school rattly versions and a good night sleep here is elusive, at least, it was for me. We had a rough night with constant running and partying in the halls well past midnight on a work night and despite several calls to the desk there was no relief. The next day i changed rooms to a more business-guy room (re: quieter) but that was tough in itself with several phone hold moments over 5 minutes and a pretty who gives a shiite desk clerk who begrudgingly gave me a new room but nothing to compensate me for my hardship.

Beyond that, the bar is OK with a decent happy hour list. The gy is adequate but it is a little goofy Mint brand and the machines are not hat great, a few decent ones and a ood workout can be had but it was a little short, all-in.

End of the day, i wont stay here again, at least, to the extent that i can avoid it. Too many better properties in the area.

Room Tip: Eh. High floor, i wold shoot for something not on Dumpster Alley and away from the elevators.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family over the 4th of July weekend for two nights. I chose the hotel because of its desirable location - White House is right down the street and other important sites are within walkable distances - this is subject to your love for walking, of course. The rooms are a bit smaller than what I'm used to for this level of hotel but are nicely appointed and very appealing, nonetheless. The lobby is grand and gives you a feel of a nice and luxury hotel. Check-in/out process was a breeze despite the Reception being fairly busy. This might be typical of all downtown DC hotels but my only gripe was about the expensive Valet parking - it is not only expensive at $47 a night but very inconvenient as they take your car 2-3 blocks away to park. So, you pretty much have a very limited access (upon request and with 20 minutes wait) to your car. It is a big hassle especially if you're traveling/staying with little children as you need easy access to the car to retrieve that missed iPad or child's favorite toy. To be fair, the quality of the Valet service is good, however. Overall, a great hotel in downtown DC!

Yip: One thing you should know if you're staying at this hotel (or other hotels in the area, for that matter) and have booked one those sightseeing buses - they will pick you up from the hotel itself. The last pickup for this hotel was around 10 AM - at least for Olde Town Trolley that we had booked for sightseeing. So, be sure to check that out before you head out to walk to the nearest stop to board one of these buses.

Room Tip: The view from our room window wasn't the best. We could clearly see some stressed out employees...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business but was pleased to find that it's in the heart of the nation's capitol and within walking distance to many historical sites. The rooms and beds are cozy and the service excellent. The one downfall is that some of the tubs don't drain very well, as others have mentioned. Besides that I very much enjoyed my stay.

Southsea
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Excellent location, just a couple of blocks down from The White House. Great area for just waking around and sight seeing. Hotel staff helpful friendly and competent. Room large, very comfortable. We stayed for two nights, having made a side trip while staying in New York, but could have done with another one or two more days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthseaDoug
David P, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear SouthseaDoug,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased to hear that you found the team to be helpful and friendly.

We hope to see you next time perhaps on a longer stay in the District.

David Piscola
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for a business trip. I picked the hotel because of the location. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was helpful. The hotel looked like it had a recent upgrade.

A few not so good things I will say; parking is $47, Room was small

I would stay here again but would really try to avoid parking here.

Dear StellaGrace,

Thank you for the review. I am so pleased to hear the Hotel worked well for your business trip.

We all look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

David Piscola
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the Capital Hilton for one night on a business trip. I had tried to find a hotel closer to the convention center, but the prices near Chinatown were $300+. I got a room at the Capital Hilton on the Hilton website for $180/night, which is SUPER deal for DC.

I did not check in until 10:30 p.m. because my flight was delayed. The bellman was helpful and I was warmly greeted at reception. I quickly took my bag to my room and went to the hotel bar for dinner. I was so grateful to be able to get a decent meal at 11:00 at night that I didn't even mind the prices. The crab cake sandwich really was quite good, as was the salad that came with it.

My room was large for a DC hotel - there was an entry way with a large closet and a sidebar with the coffee maker and supplies. There was a super comfy overstuffed couch near the entry way and then the king bed. The room was large enough to have 2 windows. The bathroom was a decent size for a big city hotel. The bed was comfy and the room was clean.

The best part of the hotel (for me) was the fitness center, The Mint. I was not charged to use the center because I have Silver status (which is the lowest level), so that was a pleasant surprise. The gym is actually open to the public and had rows upon rows of the latest cardio equipment. The ellipticals looked out onto the street and the people watching was AMAZING. There were also lots of weight machines an all the free weights you could possibly want.

The hotel had 5 elevators which was enough for this size hotel. I never had to wait long for an elevator.

I was able to check my bag with the bellstand after checking out with no problem at all. A cab was called for me with no delay. After my meeting was finished (which was near Chinatown), I decided to walk back to the Hilton rather than hailing a cab. It was an easy 20 minute stroll from Chinatown. This hotel really is in a great location to see much of DC. It would be a good location for the Spy Museum and Ford's Theater, if you don't mind a 15 minute walk.

Yes, the prices in the gift shop were high ($3.50 for a bottled water). However, they had some really cute stuff in there, including books for kids.

All in all, this is a great hotel for the price. I couldn't believe my luck finding such a good deal during midweek in DC.