“great staff!!”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 July 2011

the only problem is the breakfast value, it's too expensive. But that wasn't a real problem, there are a lot of options in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: July 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,234)

Reviewed 5 July 2011

The DuPont Circle area is one of our favorites in DC, and we have stayed at many hotels in that neighborhood over the years. The Carlyle is one of the nicer hotels we have been at. The location on New Hampshire is far enough from the hustle and bustle of the circle, but close enough to enjoy the shops and restaurants and access the METRO. It also has easy access to the growing restaurant district along 17th. The hotel itself is a converted condo/apartment building, and the service is european in nature. The bell staff and the front desk were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean, and with two doubles and a sofa bed, was big enough for a family of four. There was a small kitchen. The bathroom was a little small, which was offset by a powder room. The only two negatives were that the room could have used some basic updating, and the AC was cool, but not cold. However, those are my complaints for most of the hotels that are located within DC's neighborhoods. The price was right and there was value.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Dear FromAway67 - Thank you for your feedback! I am very fond of our little Dupont Circle hotel but I love when I read reviews such as yours! I am trying to research your room number to identify the A/C issue. If you have a moment, please shoot me a quick email so we can take care of that straight away! My email is mcrimi@greataddresses.com. Thank again and we hope to see you again soon! Best - MarcAnthony

Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed here during a college visit trip and thoght it was great. Hotel is very nice and in a great location. But best part was the service. Staff was very helpful in helping us get around and with assistance in getting tickets re-printed. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I booked this hotel after researching, (now I see, not well enough) over the 4th of July weekend. There was also a list of amenities to choose from, which I did. We arrived at the hotel and after checking in asked where parking was. We were told very quickly and quite vaguely that it was around just a little ways down from the hotel. We didn't give it much thought. After attempting to locate this parking area which we were told was just, "a little ways down", we called the front desk and were shuffled around 4 times to different individuals who failed to tell us that guest parking was 3 BLOCKS from the hotel. It was a very hot day and I was absolutely astonished. I asked the employees at the front desk what we were supposed to do with all of our luggage. Drag them back 3 blocks in the heat? I asked them if they offered shuttle service or valet and the answer was no. On top of that, there really is NO gym on the premises. I called the front desk to ask which floor it was on and was told that it was 4 BLOCKS FROM THE HOTEL? We attempted to order room service early in the afternoon and were told that the kitchen was only open from 5pm - 10:pm. The marketing of this place is beyond deceptive. They flat out LIE about what is offered. We were told that there was a breakfast buffet in the morning from 8:30 until 10:30. After we ate...they charged us for the breakfast. This was NEVER mentioned. The icing on the cake? Dirty carpets in our room. Gray dingy colored paint on the walls. Hair..not ours (not sure if it was pubic or what) covered one of the bathroom walls. Barely any water pressure from the shower head, which came out in drops. Now, after reading this...it may appear that I could be blowing things out of proportion but I took pictures of what I saw in our room. After arguing with the front desk for almost an hour, they refused to refund my money for the entire stay. We were scheduled for two nights and only stayed one. I asked, "so what happens to the rest of my money? They had no response for me. So, as we checked out...NOT ONE individual asked us if we enjoyed our stay or wanted feedback about our visit. The individual who checked us out had no idea what a nightmare it was for us and STILL did not ask! As I sit here reading the reviews from past customers, I am absolutely shocked. I know we didn't imagine what happened this past weekend. We are not hard to please nor are we difficult people to deal with but misleading customers and being deceptive is unacceptable. The management at this place was rude and they went out of their way NOT to attempt to do anything to make the situation right. This is one place that I will tell ALL of those I know NEVER to visit nor stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Cerene66
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here from 10th to 13th June with my wife and adult daughter.
Jordan registered us and offered us an upgrade at a low additional cost - which was very welcome as it was my birthday while we there. Jordan was also really helpful in trying to locate our daughter, who was travelling separately, including lending us his own phone to ring her. Thanks Jordan and I hope you get to see Liverpool FC sometime.
Other staff were equally helpful and good at advising where to eat etc.
The Dupont Circle area is very pleasant and handy for getting into the centre of Washington by metro - or even walking (it was a bit too hot for long walks when we were there) - and there are lots of good bars and restaurants in the locality.
The hotel was clean and the rooms were spacious and lived up to the expectations we'd got from previous reviews. We really enjoyed our stay and I'd certainly recommend it to other holiday travellers.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The accommodations in this hotel were perfect for our short stay. We had two double beds.
pros-roomy, well laid out, very comfortable mattresses, very, very clean overall, private, well situated, safe and quiet.
cons-breakfast was over priced with slim pickings, uncourteous and unhelpful staff in the breakfast restaurant.
The front desk staff are polite but not well trained, and not much use.
I will return to this hotel only if I can micro-plan my trip beforehand: restaurants, transportation, directions, food, entertainment groceries and etc, and not rely upon them for any information.

Room Tip: Pre plan everything, eat breakfast elsewhere
1  Thank kavitab
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Dear Kavitab - We are so happy that you took the time to review our hotel and share your thoughts on both the room and overall service experience during your visit to our Dupont Circle hotel. We share each review with our team and yours has all of our attention! In fact, the first person to read your review was our hotel manager David who called me straight away to discuss. David wanted me to extend his services to you on your next trip to Washington! We are all a bit disappointed in ourselves for missing the mark and so should you return, we would love to assist you with planning the perfect Washington DC getaway! We would love to share some of our DC favorite spots for dining, shopping, attractions, transportation, etc. David is a GREAT ambassador to Washington and the Carlyle Suites Hotel. Please consider us again and feel free to contact me directly to make your next reservation! Warm Regards - MarcAnthony mcrimi@greataddresses.com

Reviewed 1 July 2011

Spent 3 nights, Thursday-Saturday, June 23-25. Loved the neighborhood, loved the location. Everything was convenient from bakery, grocery, restaurants and Metro. From the hotel to the Metro and across town to Union Station took less than a half hour during rush hour! Safe neighborhood with plenty of people walking at all hours. The staff at the desk was welcoming and friendly. They offered us free parking in a small, somewhat cramped lot, but the staff actually came out to the lot and helped us and another guest park our cars. We never moved our car during our stay because the Metro is so convenient. We didn't use the bar or the breakfast service since there were so many alternatives nearby. The only reason we don't give this hotel an excellent rating was because the room smelled musty and stale when we checked in which prompted us to got out immediately and buy some room freshener. However, the room was immaculately clean. The housekeeping staff did a great job. The kitchenette was well equipped and again, very clean. The bed was heavenly. The carpet looked stained and a bit worn, but clean. The bathroom shower is a bit strange, especially for Americans who aren't used to having an open shower, but we found it was fine. The shower wasn't real forceful, but it was adequate and we appreciate that the hotel is trying to be "green." It certainly isn't anything to complain about! The lobby seemed busy and bustling but not overcrowded. There seemed to be a nice mix of families and tourists as well as business people. We loved our stay and plan to return!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank roadhods

Dear Roadhods - It seems that you had a great stay according to your review... Thank you for sharing your stay with us! We are trying to uncover your reservation from the dates that you shared, but would love to know what room number you stayed in. A musty smell - clean room or not - is not a goal of ours and we will correct immediately. We have asked our housekeeping department to walk all the guest rooms on each floor in the meantime. Just wanted to follow up and if you have a moment to send me your email address and stay information email me at mcrimi@greataddresses.com. MarcAnthony