“Great hotel!”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My family and I stayed at The Carlyle for 3 nights in March 2012. The hotel is perfectly located in a beautiful neghborhood. We had reserved a two double standard room, but at the moment of check-in we were kindly offered a better room for a very reasonable difference on the price. We were so glad to take it. The room was very spacious and comfortable (for 4 adults in one room). It had 2 double beds, a sleeping sofa, dinning table, kitchen, and one bathroom. It was perfect for us!
There was a little incident at the moment of check out with one of the employees who seemed exasperated because we wanted to split the bill in 3. It was unfortunate and a bit disappointing, especially because we had considered our stay truly perfect.
With the exception of that incident, I would have to say the hotel met all of our needs and more. I would definately stay there again .

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear ICN1980 - I am so happy you had such a great time in our little DC hotel! (sorry for the little grumpy encounter at check-out, its really not our style as you can see from our other reviews). I am so glad we were able to find a great room that accommodated you and your family. Don't you just love the kitchens! Oh - and thats for sharing your comments about our neighborhood... it really goes a long way. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Washington! Best - MarcAnthony

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I normally don't write reivews on TripAdvisor, but I stayed at Carlyle Suites on business March 20 - 25, 2012 and had a GREAT visit. The manager and the staff are super attentive and love to point you in the right direction for restaurants in the area, attractions, or even offered to help my fellow colleagues and I find our conference we were attending. Every day when we would come back from the conference, the manager would be outside greeting other guests and would tell us warmly, "Welcome home!" Carlyle Suites is definitely a good choice for the value and the location. The rooms were decently sized and had many amenities (mini fridge, microwave, etc).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Dear Rebecca - I am so happy that you chose to take the time to review the Carlyle Suites Hotel for your first TripAdvisor review! We are so lucky to have found a team that truly loves hospitality and shares that passion with our guests. We hope you had a safe trip back to Houston and we look forward to having you as our guest again. Warm Regards - MarcAnthony

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I did a lot of research before booking a hotel in D.C. I wanted a family friendly hotel with good proximity to the Metro, restaurants, etc. I was traveling with my husband and two small children, ages 2 years and 7 months. I was looking forward to our stay based on Trip Advisor reviews because it's not easy traveling with small children especially after the long flight from the West Coast. We stayed at the Carlyle Suites for 4 nights, 3 of which were fine. An experience on the last night ensured that we will never come back.

We returned to our room around 8pm to the smell of cigarette smoke and cleaning supplies. This was surprising because the other three nights were smoke free. My husband called the front desk to complain, and was met with skepticism because it was a non-smoking hotel, and that someone would look into it. Around 9pm, we had heard nothing from the front desk. We opened the windows, put our kids to sleep, and decided to endure it.

Around midnight, my husband woke up to a much stronger smoke smell, this time of marijuana. We guessed it was the ventilation system pulling air in from another room? My husband went down to the front desk, and the suggestion was to turn off the heating system because it was "too late to switch rooms". We tried that for 15 minutes and decided this was unacceptable. My 7 month old daughter was directly under a vent at the time. My husband returned to the front desk and told them we required a new room, regardless of how late it was. Around 12:30 we moved our 2 very young, sleeping children and our belongings to a room on the 5th floor. There was no assistance offered. My 7 months old daughter vomited after I laid her back down in the new room. Whether or not this was due to the smoke blowing into her face, I'll never know. It was however, the worst night I've ever spent in a hotel.

When we discussed the issue with a manager the next morning, she offered to give us a free breakfast for our troubles. We were checking out and had a plane to catch, so we declined. She asked what would correct the issue in our eyes, and we asked to not pay for the night of discomfort. She refused, saying that she "couldn't do that". Her final suggestion was that we call her directly the next time we book. We left in disbelief. People talk about the great customer service, but it was non-existent when dealing with our issue.

To sum it up: This issue was poorly handled, and as it stands, we will not consider the Carlyle Suites for future stays nor refer anyone else to stay there.

8  Thank bbethh

Dear bbethh - Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Carlyle Suites Hotel. Its important for me to hear directly from our guests especially when a stay was less than desirable. It saddens me especially when other guest behaviors interfere with another guests stay as in your case. We were unable to locate the offending room and we did a thorough inspection the following morning which yielded no results unfortunately. Please know that I have reviewed your stay with the staff and we all took a hard look at how we could have better handled the customer service aspect of our stay. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please don't hesitate to email me directly at mcrimi@greataddresses.com - Warm Regards - MarcAnthony

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for the first time. Jordan at the desk was very pleasant and conversational and willingly accommodated my request for a different type of room without any additional charge. My room was spacious and clean with an updated and fully equipped kitchenette, small and convenient dining area, work desk, bathroom with separate area for make-up and hair, large flatscreen t.v., and comfy bed. At $179 + tax, this was an excellent value in an area of pricey hotels. While the hotel is definitely older, it is well maintained and offers a small free parking lot in back, another benefit in this high traffic area. It is super-convenient to walk to shops, restaurants, and the Dupont Metro. Plus the lovely residential area in which it is located is perfect for a stroll. I would definitely return for the value and convenience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LAMARCIA

Dear Lamarcia - Thank you for such a kind and thorough review! I will be sure to pass along your comments to Jordan! It will make his day! Should you make another trip from Manhattan Beach, we hope that you will consider us again the next time you are in town. - Warm Regards, MarcAnthony

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I went with one of my daughters (aged 15) to Washington from March 13-16th - the weather was outstanding - 83 degrees every day! I did extensive research before deciding on the Carlyle Suites Hotel in Dupont Circle (almost becoming obsessed with finding the right place). I made two tentative reservations at other hotels (in Georgetown) and later, when we walked by both places, we were so glad that I had done more reading on Trip Advisor. I took the advice of another reader and asked for a corner room. That way you get windows on two sides
and there is more room in the eating area. We were in Room 208 (that's the end of the hotel by the alley where the truck drives in every morning between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m.). Ask to be
at the other end of the hotel (a room ending with "03) - if such a thing would bother you. I was up at that time each day and it really only backs in for a minute or two. Every staff member was SO FRIENDLY - they are warm, look you in the eye and are very sincere. When we wanted to eat in our room, we got groceries at Whole Foods (14th and P Street) and also shopped at the nearby Safeway. I'm not really good at directions so I made sure to always have a map. (They have maps at the front desk but I bought a laminated one at the drug store at Dupont Circle - it's especially good for the downtown area with the Smithsonian buildings all
featured very prominently). Gilly and I walked about 7 hours a day (walking down to the White House and back was very easy. One day we walked to the Kennedy Center; then up to Georgetown to do some shopping, and then, back to the hotel). Due to the Air Canada pilots calling in sick (they were not allowed to strike), we had our flight back to Toronto cancelled and were put up in the Hyatt at Crystal City. (the flight from Washington to Toronto is 90 minutes and we took 27 hours to get home!!!!! Our flights kept getting cancelled - very frustrating, but I digress!) I only wanted to say that it was interesting to compare a huge hotel like the Hyatt with the Carlyle. The folks at the Carlyle seemed so much happpier to be there and everyone seems to geniunely like each other (I felt sorry for the chamber maids in Crystal City - they looked so tired and sad). There was nothing wrong with the Hyatt (the restaurant and front desk staff were very nice - but I just don't think I would stay at a large hotel again).
The Carlyle room was very clean and modern . I used the kitchen every morning - they did not have a sink plug (I heard a previous guest had left his in and the sink overflowed and ruined the room's carpet) and thus have removed all plugs from the kitchens. They told me that the chambermaids can wash all of the dishes but I would guilty about that! I just used a clean j-cloth to stop up the sink.
Gilly used room service one night and the food was great! I bought some Coronas and they did not have a bottle opener in the room. I would go down each night to the bar (with my beer in hand!) and the very kind bartender would open up my beer!
We'll definitely return - this time, with my husband and hopefully, our other two (older) children!
Stay here - YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little larger (in the kitchen area).
7  Thank TorontoHiker

Dear TorontoHiker - I have to be honest... when we all read your review, we celebrated with a little DC Hotel happy dance. :) Your warm kind words are keeping us motivated! As far as your trip to Washington, it seems that you had a blast (despite the airline cancellations and the 27 hour trip back home). I have to give you a high-5 for the 7-hour daily walks around our nations capital! And yes! Bring your husband and the rest of the family. We would love to have you again! Thanks again! MarcAnthony

Reviewed 23 March 2012

My organization stayed at the Carlyle Suites Hotel for our annual board meeting in DC. Sales and Catering Manager JoAnn Sipe was super helpful arranging our rooms, and flexible with changes to our group size. The hotel is great. Very nice and at a reasonable rate. We particularly like that each room has a small kitchen, which is great for people like me who are picky about food, and like to start the day with breakfast in the room. We've stayed at the Carlyle two years in a row now, and look forward to coming back next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John S

Hi John! I am just thrilled that your company chose Carlyle Suites Hotel for your annual meeting again! I will be sure to pass along your comments to JoAnn Sipe, our star catering sales manager! Looking forward to next year! Best, MarcAnthony & Team.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Everything about the hotel was over and above. Great location, rooms were spacious anc clean. Felt comfortable and the price was right too. Beds were heavenly.

Room Tip: Corner suite, i think it was for handicapped but they gave it to us.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Hi there BookgirlSeattle - Your the GEM for writing the review! THANK YOU! The beds by the way are Tempur-Pedic and I agree, they are heavenly! Glad you had a nice time in our downtown DC hotel! MarcAnthony