“A Travel Treat in Itself”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Halifax, Canada
“A Travel Treat in Itself”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The accommodations and service are excellant. The hotel has an art deco look throughout, which makes it an added treat for the traveller. The kitchenette has a stove top, microwave, small fridge, sink, coffe maker, dishes, pots and pans and utensils - more than enough for 'travellers' meals'. The sitting/tv area is in an alcove which lets people watch tv without disturbing sleepers. The hotel offers an $11 breakfeast buffet that is great. The bar and resaturant are nicely appointed and the food is good.

The neighbourhood is attractive an pleasant to walk through. The Dupont Circle subway stop is an easy 6 minute walk. The 'Smithsonian' subway stop at the National Mall is just 10 or 15 minutes away. Restaurants galour at Dupont Circle. A good size grocery store and drug store are near at hand. We would definitely return to this hotel and enourage others to give it a try.

Room Tip: Try for a corner suite. Windows on two sides are nice to have.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank John J
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Hey John! I was just having an OK day today, but after reading your review it quickly became a GREAT one! Thanks for the detailed guest room descriptions, especially the full service kitchens. Its a great amenity perfect for families and extended stay guests that need a hotel hotel in Dupont Circle. Hope you had a nice trip back to Halifax (I have been there a few times and had a great time). Thank you again - Cheers, MarcAnthony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
Bahrain
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We (3 adults) stayed in this hotel for one night in October 2011. The hotel was conveniently located to all major attractions in the city and also nightlife areas but you need a car to drive around. The hotel's staff were helpful and efficient. Their check-in & check-out process was very quick. There was an incident where my son (who is a heavy sleeper) locked us out and didn't hear our knocking, but the receptionist quickly assisted us by unlocking the door and allowing us back into the room. Also the receptionist took the time to guide us through the city's attractions on map. The room was clean but tight (it was hard moving around). We got double room with two beds, which were relatively small (don't think of sharing the double bed)! The rooms had free wifi internet, which is a must. There was a hot buffet breakfast, but was not included in the room (costs $12.50 per person). There was complimentary (free) parking lot behind the hotel, but with limited spaces. It was quite impossible finding parking at night esp. after 10 pm. It was also a big challenge finding street parking in that neighborhood.

Overall, we recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hhum
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear hhum - Your review of the Carlyle Suites Hotel was just fabulous and we are so very thankful! We are happy that the service left a good impression! Sorry your accommodations were tight. We do offer a variety of room categories and our Grand Double Double with Sofa bed can accommodate families up to 4 persons very comfortably. Should you make the trip over to Washington DC again, please consider this room type on your next stay! Just email me at reservations@carlylesuites.com with your request and we will take care of the rest. Best! MarcAnthony
Chicago
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is an Art Deco boutique hotel surrounded by Embassies in the DuPont Circle area. I walked easily from Metro with my suitcase. The lobby is a spectacular marble mosaic. There is a bright breakfast restaurant and food is also served in the bar / grill off the lobby. The rooms are a mix of modern conveniences and vintage details - my small room had a desk fridge, Keurig, microwave, and a high top table and stools with a beautiful view of New Hampshire Ave. One of my bugaboos, the room had plenty of lighting and electrical outlets and free internet. The bath was tiny, with little counter top space, but a generous shower. I was with a group and the rooms were quite varied, some very large with seating areas and kitchen alcoves. The staff were great – very attentive.
My single bed room was a double bed, fine for just me. The hotel has an arrangement with the Washington Athletic Club, so no fitness room in the building, but walks viewing the architecture and gardens in the neighborhood are stunning. I could only find one vending machine and it was in the basement.
This was a great respite from cookie cutter hotels.

Room Tip: Tell them what you need - there is a lot of variety. I had a room on the street and there were sire...
1 Thank m_b_00000
Dear m_b_00000 - As you have noted our Dupont Circle hotel offers a variety of rooms that can accommodate everyone from business travelers and families to groups and those in need of an extended stay hotel in DC. There is one thing in common with all of our rooms - at-home amenities that are sure to please. All of our hotel accommodations feature a full service kitchenette, free WiFi, amazing Tempur-Pedic beds, marble bathrooms and flat screen tv's. Should you make the trip from Chicago again, please email me directly so we can find just the right room for you. All the best! MarcAnthony
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 10 May 2012

After looking for overpriced hotels in DC, I found this little gem! This was such a pleasant and charming place.. the bed (even though a bit small for a couple) was extremely comfortable!!! The location was great and the room was very clean.. the little equipped kitchinette is such a pleasant surprise to find in a hotel room.. Overall, we had a really pleasant stay at the Carlyle and so glad we found this place! We would highly recommend it and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Olive! Thanks for mentioning our affordable price-point in your TripAdvisor review! We pride ourselves on the value that we provide from the fully equipped kitchenettes to the Tempur-Pedic beds and plush duvets. We appreciated your review and hope you had a safe trip back to Lebanon! Warm Regards - MarcAnthony
Randolph Center, VT
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I've stayed here twice in the last 2 months; I initially chose the hotel because it was walking distance to where I needed to be. I've since found lots of things to love about the place. The first time I stayed I had an awesome corner room with a little dining table in an area with windows on two sides, and the tiny kitchenette adjacent. The bed in that room was meh, and the open shower in the bathroom was a little odd, since the floor didn't slope to the drain as it should have; I ended up doing some foot squeegeeing to clear the puddle afterward. Everything else was fabulous. Front desk staff couldn't have been nicer. The second stay I had a great bed but tinier kitchen.
I like the fact that there's a Safeway grocery store within 2 blocks, the neighborhood is beautiful if you want to take a walk, and depending on when you're going it's less than half an hour out to DCA. Will be going back again in a couple of weeks.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a corner suite if you're planning on an extended stay.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChefFactotum
Dear ChefFactotum - The fact that you continue to return to the Carlyle Suites Hotel says it all! Thank you for your return business and support of our little Dupont Circle boutique hotel. We look forward to your return! See you soon! MarcAnthony
São Paulo
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed at the Carlyle Hotel for 10 days in May, 2012. My overall experience was great, however the internet connection was slow and unstable. I was cut off several times while talking at Skype.

Nonetheless, in my opinion the advantages of staying at the Carlyle outweighs by large margin this disadvantage. The rooms are impeccably clean and well-maintained with everything you need. Another great advantage is the free pass to the nearby gym, which is much better than the sloppy fitness rooms that you find in most hotel.

On the down side, I have to say that they urgently need to improve their internet connectivity. Also, some noise escape from the restaurant depending on the room you stay, however it didn't stop me from sleeping any day. The same applies to the sun that falls into the curtains' cracks.

Anyway, the cons are really minor in face of the overall value of the hotel stay and I would definitively stay at this hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Leminsky - Your honest review of your recent stay is very much appreciated. I am happy to hear that we received high scores for our cleanliness and amenities such as our free daily access to the Washington Sports Club. I am disappointed to hear about the internet however. Please know that I have already communicated this issue to our IT company and it is being addressed! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. MarcAnthony
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was my first time at the Carlyle Suites, although I've stayed in many other hotels and B&Bs in the area on other trips to D. C. I highly recommend it.

Very pleasant room, very comfortable bed, great bathroom linens. Everything was very clean. Windows opened a crack to let in fresh air, a real plus in my book. Organic coffee, refrigerator and microwave in the kitchen. Updated furniture, carpet and curtains made the place feel fresh.

Staff members were consistently helpful and friendly. There was free parking behind the building. Breakfast buffet was available each day for a reasonable price. There were pay washers and dryers in the basement ($1 each), with detergent and dyer sheets for sale from the nearby vending machine.

I love this neighborhood. It's very residential, but a short walk to the bustle of Dupont Circle, where you can hop on the Red Line. The dog park at the end of the block means there are people about all the time. There are many good restaurants nearby - we tried Local 16 on this trip - but the hotel has a bar, too, if you want a drink at the end of the day.

Only one minor ding: toilet paper was thin and rough.

I'll definitely stay here again next time I'm in D.C.

1 Thank MinnesotaMaven
Dear MinnesotaMaven - I am so happy to have just read your review and thrilled that we have won your return business already! THANK YOU! We look forward to having you return to the Carlyle Suites Hotel. See you soon!