“Pleasant stay”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I just stayed over this property for a night, and had a very pleasant stay. I had a double room, which featured a kitchenette with a stove and pots and pans...however a water boiler would have been nice, as there was just a Keurig device and I am a tea drinker.

I was pleased to find that the TV featured a large array of channels, and as others have mentioned the tempurpedic bed was a lovely addition. I also liked the fact that the shower was particularly spacious, and I enjoyed the eco-friendly bath products.

The service was first rate during my stay. We opted to eat breakfast in the hotel since we were pressed for time, and there isn't anything immediately next to the hotel. The breakfast buffet was just okay- at $15 i was expecting a bit more in terms of selection..I don't think it's worth the price...but the fresh squeezed orange juice was a nice touch.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Hello Traveljunky973, Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Washington DC! Our Tempurpedic beds are one of our guests favorite amenities! Thank for the kind remarks and your full four circles! We hope you have a great trip on your next adventure! David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We visited the Carlyle Suites Hotel in Washington D.C. during our trip through Canada and the U.S.A. We arrived by car, and the hotel had its own private parking places behind the hotel. The parking place was very small, and hard to park your car there even when it's a small car, but the private parking place on itself is a big plus.

The room had enough space with good airconditioning. The bathroom had a nice shower and everything was very clean. We didn't have a good view, but we didn't hear any noise at night. We even received extra clean towels. Breakfast was good, but we wouldn't have mind to have had a bit more choice.

The location of the Hotel was very good. The area was great with lot's of nice restaurants and bars, a very friendly area. It was only a few blocks away to the transportation to all of the main attractions of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Good morning ErikvanTurnhout! It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us! Our parking in the historic neighborhood of DuPont Circle is certainly a plus! Though it is very limited based on first come first serve & currently only 20 spaces - we do make it complimentary.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Our best regards, David and the Carlyle Suites Team.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I had to make last minute plans for a business trip to Washington DC, and soon found that this particular area are pretty proud of their hotels and don't mind reflecting that in the prices. This hotel stood out on a search site as a good degree less than pretty much all, which usually means the obvious... steer clear. But I lingered enough to have a quick look at other reviews and the result was that I booked a prepaid room. All the reviews are spot on. The staff are wonderfully welcoming and friendly, the property, although of good age, is well maintained and features a 50's art deco style. Quite unique. You almost feel you have stepped back in time. My room was huge, and included a neat little kitchenette which would be great for an extended stay. The Dupont Circle area is the Embassy district, and has a great selection of bars and restaurants to satisfy a wide array of palettes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Good morning Aussiepol65! We are glad you found us! Thank you for your kind words! We are very proud of our Art Deco history in our hotel dating back to the 1930's! We look forward to seeing you again! The Carlyle Suites Hotel Team!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed here with two friends from college for a two night stay this past weekend. None of us had much experience in, or knowledge of, the DC area, and mostly chose this hotel because of other reviews. I wish I could thank every single person who wrote a solid review for this spot, as they were completely accurate!

As a New Yorker, I was shocked at how large the room was. I've stayed in NY hotels that were maybe 1/3 of this space. The kitchen was adorable! Sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove, utensils, cups and plates - you really could not ask for more out of a hotel. Cute little table and chairs surrounded by two large windows with a great view of the pretty scenery - gorgeous brownstones and flowers in bloom.

The hotel has a great old Hollywood feel - the colors and patterns in the lobby and elevators especially reminded us all of the current Gatsby commercials with the black and gold. There's great, jazzy music playing in the lobby as well. When we first checked in our front desk attendant could have been a bit friendlier (though he did check us in early, and later brought my friend out to the parking lot and showed her where to park - and, by the way, free parking?! Seriously?! The lot is small, and first come first serve, but if you can snag a spot it's an incredible value.) but we couldn't really make that comment about anyone else on the staff. Every person we passed was friendlier than the last, which leads me to...DAVE! The absolute best manager I've ever dealt with. He took note of my and my friends confusion when we first left the hotel, and walked us outside to show us exactly where to find the Metro station. Unprompted, he also took it upon himself to point out to us other things nearby that we might need and how to find it. When we came back that night he was talking to another customer outside. He stopped what he was doing, approached us with a big smile, and said "Welcome Home, Girls! We left the lights on for you! Did you have fun? Did you find everything?" I'm not naïve, I'm sure everyone gets this greeting - this is his job. But it's incredibly how far good service goes. To feel incredibly welcome at your hotel in an unfamiliar city, whether it's just a friendly façade or not, goes a long way to making a good stay memorable.

Because we checked in early we were given a handicapped bathroom, which was the only room available (they made us aware of this before we agreed to take the room - we were just so eager to begin our trip that we took it). The only downside to this was the bathroom - it was a good size, but the shower was really just an open stall (no shower curtain or anything) and there was nothing to really keep the water in the designated shower area. We tried to stop it with towels, but a large portion of the bathroom floor was soaked. Once again, we chose to take this room - just wanted to point this out.

If you have the chance, absolutely go the Jazz Brunch downstairs at Twist! The food was excellent, the décor and music make for a lovely, relaxing atmosphere, and the service (as with every other area in the hotel) was impeccable. Unlimited mimosas that they refill practically after every sip? Yes, please.

Lastly, the location!! Unreal! The tree and flower lined streets were adorable (plus, passing embassies on your daily walk doesn't suck!) and it was MAYBE a five minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro. Within complete and total walking distance were bars, restaurants, the adorable Kramerbooks and Starbucks (this, in particular, was very important to me). The area is great - very vibrant, and busy - you definitely feel safe walking there, even well into the night.

Seriously, I can't imagine why you would ever want to stay somewhere else! Friendliest service I've ever had, perfect location - all for a great value. We could not have been happier to stay, or sadder to leave!

Room Tip: I don't know if this is true for all rooms or if we just lucked out, but we had a fourth floor c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

A big Shut Out to You CB! It was absolutely a JOY to have you and your friends here for the weekend! Everyone from reservations, housekeeping, engineering, TWIST restaurant and all of our Service Hosts in the front of the House simply wanted to say "Thank You for choosing Us" !
Sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Our family had a great experience staying at the Carlyle while in DC for a weekend sightseeing trip! Everyone on the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Simon at the front desk was particularly welcoming and worked with us to find three rooms for our group after a last minute change in plans resulted in our not staying at a rental house as previously planned.

The rooms themselves were a welcome place to call home after a day of museum hopping and sightseeing. One guest in our party was so in love with the great night's sleep she had that she is trying to hunt down the exact model of mattress on their beds. Still another guest in our party commented that he would have expected the rates to be higher for the quaility of the hotel and rooms in such a great DC location.

We also enjoyed haivng a change in scenery from the Mall while staying in DuPont Circle. While there are places to stay which would be closer to the Mall or right on top of the Metra, we really enjoyed staying in a beautiful neighborhood while still only steps from great shops and restaurants such as Kramerbooks & Afterwords, Teaism, and more.

Everyone in our group, from ages 5 to 70+, enjoyed the Carlyle!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Hello Steve B, It was a pleasure to have everyone stay with us! Simon particularly wanted to say hello as well as well !!! He is certainly is one of our best Service Leaders! We looking forward to seeing you soon next time you are in the Washington DC area ! best regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I frequently travel to Washington, DC on business. My major client is located near Dupont Circle. I discovered the Carlyle Suites my first trip and have consistently stayed there ever since. My client has offered to put me up at other hotels but I always request the Carlyle Suites. The price is reasonable, the location is convenient and the staff are consistently friendly and helpful. I love the fact that the stay includes a day pass at Washington Sport Club (my favorite gym in DC). I have nothing but good things to say about the Carlyle Suites.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron F

Ron! - Everyone says HELLO ! Karen, Mediombo, Simon and all of us at the front of the house!
We genuinely enjoy seeing you every time you are here! See you soon & "Welcome Home" !
the entire Carlyle Suites Hotel Team!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

86 yo mother asked for toast and coffee from room service at 630 am. Was told by kitchen staff that " we are too busy". Location sucks . Metro NOT close. 6 blocks?
Bathrooms tiny and soaps and shampoo are" green" which means they are awful and not enough for 2 people in room. Service in y
There one reasturants non existent . Front desk indifferent to concerns. No heat in rooms. Was told by manager that heat to all rooms shut off in April . No I cannot make that up. They brought space heaters to room for heat!!
I tend not to be a negative person but this place truly sucks. Do yourself a favor and stay at a real hotel , not this joke of a place away from everything in this great city

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Jeff G

Dear G, Thank you for being a part of the TripAdvisor community. My deepest apologies that we simply fell short and did not give you and your mother our normal high level of service. We have take all of your comments to heart and we have discussed all of them with our team one on one.Thank you for sharing your experience. When you return to Washington DC please contact me directly so that I may take care of you personally. My sincerest regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager 202.234.3200 ext 4901.