“Nice hotel - some improvements”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Dublin
“Nice hotel - some improvements”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Just came back from a 6 night stay in this hotel and overall I would recommend this hotel. The location is excellent. Very near lots of cafes and restaurants. Walking distance to the metro or if you like a walk some of the major sites. Check in was quick and easy which was great after a long journey. I requested a room on a high floor which I didnt get - my room was on the 2nd floor. Room was very good for a single person though even though the windows didnt open which was very strange. There was a second layer of glass outside the windows so you couldnt see out of them or open them. Very odd. The room had 2 double beds, nice bathroom and a nice kitchenetter which was great. My coffee machine was broken and never got fixed even though I called about it on the day I arrived but there is a Starbucks on every corner so it was easy enough to find a coffee. I didnt eat in the hotel as I did my own breakfast and was out until late evening every day. For supplies for your little kitchen (if you want them) there is a Safeway on Corcoran Ave just around the corner of the hotel or a really nice Wholefoods within walking distance. I used the metro everyday even though the Q street entrance to the Dupont Circle stop is the most terrifying escaltor I have ever seen but there is a lift. The metro is very accessible.

Overall very happy with my stay and would recommend it to other travellers. Good location, loved the small kitchen and comfortable beds. Downsides are windows that wouldnt open, broken appliance that wasnt fixed and noisy neighbours and cleaners. Cleaners were very loud in the morning even though I had my do not disturb sign on my door. You could also hear conversations and cooking from the rooms next door but no parties or anything. Bring earplugs

Personally I also found the Welcome Home gesture every evening irritating but thats just me :)

Room Tip: ask for a room with windows that open bring earplugs
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
davinci1967, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Hello Nicearbhaill - Thank you for being an active member of the TripAdvisor community! While we strive to do our best I apologize that we feel short on service during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to post & we review each and every post with our team. Feel free to call me directly to help make your next stay a great one - David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The rooms have kitchen facilities which was nice, it is a short walk to Dupont cirlce where you can either use the Metro or get on the hop on hop off buses. The Cherry blossom have just started to flower, it is a beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear MonanMatt, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for choosing us!
Washington DC is truly a very beautiful city during the Cherry Blossom season! We look forward to seeing you in the future! sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We stayed here last weekend for a bachelorette party. Half of the girls checked in on Friday and the rest of us came on Saturday morning. I had reserved the rooms online but called to confirm and to add our occasion and extra names to the rooms for check in. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left, the staff was able to help us with everything we needed and then some. David was the MOD while we were there and he went above and beyond any manager duties.

The rooms were over sized for a typical DC boutique hotel and were well furnished. We had more than enough room for 4 adult women. The beds were super comfy and the kitchen was just the right size.

We didn't eat at the hotel- there is so much that is walking distance from the hotel. The parking is a bit tight and limited but we were able to take advantage of it.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area for business or for vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Hello Frenarena! It was our genuine pleasure to host you and all of your friends! Thank you for sharing your special weekend with us! Thank for also share your experience with the TripAdvisor community....Congratulations from all of us here with the Carlyle Suites family.
new york
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I just stayed over this property for a night, and had a very pleasant stay. I had a double room, which featured a kitchenette with a stove and pots and pans...however a water boiler would have been nice, as there was just a Keurig device and I am a tea drinker.

I was pleased to find that the TV featured a large array of channels, and as others have mentioned the tempurpedic bed was a lovely addition. I also liked the fact that the shower was particularly spacious, and I enjoyed the eco-friendly bath products.

The service was first rate during my stay. We opted to eat breakfast in the hotel since we were pressed for time, and there isn't anything immediately next to the hotel. The breakfast buffet was just okay- at $15 i was expecting a bit more in terms of selection..I don't think it's worth the price...but the fresh squeezed orange juice was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Hello Traveljunky973, Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Washington DC! Our Tempurpedic beds are one of our guests favorite amenities! Thank for the kind remarks and your full four circles! We hope you have a great trip on your next adventure! David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Kruisland, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We visited the Carlyle Suites Hotel in Washington D.C. during our trip through Canada and the U.S.A. We arrived by car, and the hotel had its own private parking places behind the hotel. The parking place was very small, and hard to park your car there even when it's a small car, but the private parking place on itself is a big plus.

The room had enough space with good airconditioning. The bathroom had a nice shower and everything was very clean. We didn't have a good view, but we didn't hear any noise at night. We even received extra clean towels. Breakfast was good, but we wouldn't have mind to have had a bit more choice.

The location of the Hotel was very good. The area was great with lot's of nice restaurants and bars, a very friendly area. It was only a few blocks away to the transportation to all of the main attractions of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Good morning ErikvanTurnhout! It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us! Our parking in the historic neighborhood of DuPont Circle is certainly a plus! Though it is very limited based on first come first serve & currently only 20 spaces - we do make it complimentary.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Our best regards, David and the Carlyle Suites Team.
Prospect Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I had to make last minute plans for a business trip to Washington DC, and soon found that this particular area are pretty proud of their hotels and don't mind reflecting that in the prices. This hotel stood out on a search site as a good degree less than pretty much all, which usually means the obvious... steer clear. But I lingered enough to have a quick look at other reviews and the result was that I booked a prepaid room. All the reviews are spot on. The staff are wonderfully welcoming and friendly, the property, although of good age, is well maintained and features a 50's art deco style. Quite unique. You almost feel you have stepped back in time. My room was huge, and included a neat little kitchenette which would be great for an extended stay. The Dupont Circle area is the Embassy district, and has a great selection of bars and restaurants to satisfy a wide array of palettes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Good morning Aussiepol65! We are glad you found us! Thank you for your kind words! We are very proud of our Art Deco history in our hotel dating back to the 1930's! We look forward to seeing you again! The Carlyle Suites Hotel Team!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed here with two friends from college for a two night stay this past weekend. None of us had much experience in, or knowledge of, the DC area, and mostly chose this hotel because of other reviews. I wish I could thank every single person who wrote a solid review for this spot, as they were completely accurate!

As a New Yorker, I was shocked at how large the room was. I've stayed in NY hotels that were maybe 1/3 of this space. The kitchen was adorable! Sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove, utensils, cups and plates - you really could not ask for more out of a hotel. Cute little table and chairs surrounded by two large windows with a great view of the pretty scenery - gorgeous brownstones and flowers in bloom.

The hotel has a great old Hollywood feel - the colors and patterns in the lobby and elevators especially reminded us all of the current Gatsby commercials with the black and gold. There's great, jazzy music playing in the lobby as well. When we first checked in our front desk attendant could have been a bit friendlier (though he did check us in early, and later brought my friend out to the parking lot and showed her where to park - and, by the way, free parking?! Seriously?! The lot is small, and first come first serve, but if you can snag a spot it's an incredible value.) but we couldn't really make that comment about anyone else on the staff. Every person we passed was friendlier than the last, which leads me to...DAVE! The absolute best manager I've ever dealt with. He took note of my and my friends confusion when we first left the hotel, and walked us outside to show us exactly where to find the Metro station. Unprompted, he also took it upon himself to point out to us other things nearby that we might need and how to find it. When we came back that night he was talking to another customer outside. He stopped what he was doing, approached us with a big smile, and said "Welcome Home, Girls! We left the lights on for you! Did you have fun? Did you find everything?" I'm not naïve, I'm sure everyone gets this greeting - this is his job. But it's incredibly how far good service goes. To feel incredibly welcome at your hotel in an unfamiliar city, whether it's just a friendly façade or not, goes a long way to making a good stay memorable.

Because we checked in early we were given a handicapped bathroom, which was the only room available (they made us aware of this before we agreed to take the room - we were just so eager to begin our trip that we took it). The only downside to this was the bathroom - it was a good size, but the shower was really just an open stall (no shower curtain or anything) and there was nothing to really keep the water in the designated shower area. We tried to stop it with towels, but a large portion of the bathroom floor was soaked. Once again, we chose to take this room - just wanted to point this out.

If you have the chance, absolutely go the Jazz Brunch downstairs at Twist! The food was excellent, the décor and music make for a lovely, relaxing atmosphere, and the service (as with every other area in the hotel) was impeccable. Unlimited mimosas that they refill practically after every sip? Yes, please.

Lastly, the location!! Unreal! The tree and flower lined streets were adorable (plus, passing embassies on your daily walk doesn't suck!) and it was MAYBE a five minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro. Within complete and total walking distance were bars, restaurants, the adorable Kramerbooks and Starbucks (this, in particular, was very important to me). The area is great - very vibrant, and busy - you definitely feel safe walking there, even well into the night.

Seriously, I can't imagine why you would ever want to stay somewhere else! Friendliest service I've ever had, perfect location - all for a great value. We could not have been happier to stay, or sadder to leave!

Room Tip: I don't know if this is true for all rooms or if we just lucked out, but we had a fourth floor c...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
A big Shut Out to You CB! It was absolutely a JOY to have you and your friends here for the weekend! Everyone from reservations, housekeeping, engineering, TWIST restaurant and all of our Service Hosts in the front of the House simply wanted to say "Thank You for choosing Us" !
Sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager