“Clean hotel with great service in an ideal location!”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Cleveland, Ohio
“Clean hotel with great service in an ideal location!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Carlyle Suites was the perfect hotel for a quick getaway to DC. Situated in the beautiful DuPont Circle we were close to the metro and a huge array of bars and restaurants. Only 2 miles from the national mall, we walked to the monuments at night for a relaxing evening stroll. Carlyle Suites is also pet friendly and less than a block from the fabulous S Street dog park!

• Stayed March 2013
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hello Lauren R, Whenever you up for another "Quick Getaway" our door is always open! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we will see you soon! Best regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
Orchard Park, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed at the hotel for five days in April.The staff made us feel right at home.The location was perfect..Very close to great restaurants and shopping..Short walk to DuPont circle and Metro.Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Jim T, Thank you for choosing us! We are genuinely happy that you and your family had a great stay here in Washington DC! Our best wishes, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were looking for an upscale hotel in a nice neighborhood in DC, near a metro line. We definitely found it at the Carlyle.

The hotel is located in the tony neighborhood of DuPont Circle. It was clear throughout our stay that this was a safe neighborhood to walk around freely.

The hotel's theme and style is that of the 1920s art deco movement. Elegant and refined inside and out.

We were greeted by the doorman as soon as our taxi came to a stop, who promptly took our luggage inside. The front desk staff was extremely courteous and professional. We were addressed by Mr or Ms with our last name, from the outset and throughout our stay. When we returned in the evening from a night on the town, for example, we were similarly greeted with the addition of 'welcome home'. When we needed a taxi, the doorman would promptly stride out to the middle of the road with a whistle to have a cab arrive immediately. White glove treatment by every member of the staff, and it could not have been more appreciated.

The suite was a nice, spacious size, with an ensuite bath containing a half wall glass shower, marble vanity and white tiles, in a blend of modern amenities and art deco styling. There was a separate siting area outside the washroom, with a full width mirror and blow dryer at the ready. Another separate room contained a kitchennette with a mini fridge, a stove, microwave, sink, cupboards and plates / glasses / cutlery etc. We did not cook but the mini fridge was helpful to keep drinks and snacks cold. There was a nice size room safe, which is always an appreciated feature. The suite itself was tastefully appointed, and the king bed was extremely comfortable, enriched by the high quality linens. We slept very soundly. The large flat screen tv had a wide variety of channels.

The neighbourhood sported numerous bistros, cafes, restaurants, bars and so on which were very convenient for us, as was the DuPont circle metro station which was perhaps a 5-7 minute walk. The cherry blossoms were budding / blooming, and it was very nice. From the DuPont circle metro, you can easily get just about anywhere in DC that you would typically like to visit (The Mall, Capitol, White House, Nationals Baseball Park etc etc) and the metro was easy, safe and convenient to use.

The hotel also offered a full hot breakfast buffet (extra charge) but we did not partake as we didn't stay very long in the morning to have a full sit down breakfast. The hotel also had spa /pool access at a sister property, but we did not partake in this either.

Considering all of the above, the under $250 rate per night (including ALL taxes, especially the exhorbitant DC hotel tax), this classy and elegant hotel was a good value in our opinion. Definitely would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Hello TravellingTFP, Thank you for being a senior contributor to the TripAdvisor community. from all of us with the Carlyle Suites Hotel Team - thank for all your kind words. We hope to see you next time in Washington DC. our Best regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Celebration, FL
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I though long and hard before writing this review. Had it been written within a few days of our March trip the rating would have been far lower.

We visiting DC for my wife's mother's burial at Arlington. We were impressed with the hotel's location and website. Our arrival was delayed as we were were caught in a blinding snowstorm in Virginia. Pulling up to the hotel was a huge relief, until we discovered that finding a place to park was literally impossible. The "limited" on-site, free parking advertised should be referred to as "there is next to no chance we will have a space available in out lot, so why even bother to mention it." When I asked about the "$25 off site parking" mentioned online, I was told that it was 10 minutes away at the Hilton. Not once during our four day visit was a parking space available in the hotels TINY lot behind the building. They would be wise to charge a huge fee for valet parking, then they could reduce demand for their own lot and cover the cost of an employee running back and forth between the hotel and "off-site" parking. We ended up searching the neighborhood for an on street place and even ended up getting a $60 ticket when we missed the "no parking from 9 to 11 on Thursday for street sweeping sign" mounted 4 signs down the parking restriction post. Plus, during the day, we had to move the car every two hours.

Now, on to the hotel itself. The owners did a nice job remodeling this older, otherwise nondescript building in an Art Deco style. The rooms were large and comfortable (great bed). They do seem to be letting maintenance slip, as there was paint peeling from the ceiling in the room.

They serve a very nice breakfast that was a great experience one day (when a manager was working the room) and terrible the next (when he left the two “servers” to their own devices). The terrible day was marred my the two female dining room employees removing the omelet and waffle station well before the stated closing time of 10 a.m. hope that late arrivals would go away and let them clean up and go home. My family arrived at 9:45 and another 5 minutes later. When we asked about omelets and waffles they grudgingly agreed to go make some in the kitchen. The other family was not so lucky. They were told that there were no more waffles and left to graze at the remains of the buffet. Both of these women seemed to forget they work in the “service” industry.

There were a few other very minor issues, but again, the hotel itself is pleasant and the location is great.

Oh, and my wife and I did complain to the manager on several occasions, whose only response was a variation on “I’m sorry.” I was shocked that there wasn’t even the offer of a breakfast discount. Before we left I asked to speak with the GM, who was in the building. But she was “busy.” I left a voice mail asking her to call, but she never did. Finally, on the drive home, the front desk manager called my cell to see if there was anything he could do to make us happy. Since he was unwilling to refund any money, I couldn’t answer him as the experience was l was literally behind us.

If you are flying in to DC, you might enjoy Carlyle. If you’re driving, look elsewhere!

Room Tip: Do not visit if you are driving!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Pastmaps, Thank you for being a senior contributor to the TripAdvisor community. My sincere regrets that we simply fell short on our service standards during your stay. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and we do review all of your comments with our team one on one. I would like to follow up with you myself, if I may to know more about your stay. I may be contacted directly at 202.735.8915 or at dtrezevant@carlylesuites.com
My sincerest regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We found the Carlyle Hotel online last minute and had no idea what we were in for, never having visited DC before... After a long bus ride from NYC, we were completely taken away by the beautiful neighborhood and the cute as a button Carlyle hotel. This hotel is right off DuPont circle, close to metro.. Great location (safe). The service was impeccable from all ends... A special thanks to Abou and Carlos for their extremely helpful front desk service! So sweet! The bar downstairs is a great place for a night cap... We would 100% recommend this hotel to family, friends or anyone for that matter!

Room Tip: 731 had two queen beds, kitchen, a lovely vanity, couch, table, closet and bathroom,, pretty great v...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
davinci1967, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Good afternoon Ashlee! Abou and Carlos especially say "Thank You" and also enjoyed meeting all of you! We can wait to see all of you again the next time you are in DC ! - From all of us at the Carlyle Suites Hotel.
Dublin
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Just came back from a 6 night stay in this hotel and overall I would recommend this hotel. The location is excellent. Very near lots of cafes and restaurants. Walking distance to the metro or if you like a walk some of the major sites. Check in was quick and easy which was great after a long journey. I requested a room on a high floor which I didnt get - my room was on the 2nd floor. Room was very good for a single person though even though the windows didnt open which was very strange. There was a second layer of glass outside the windows so you couldnt see out of them or open them. Very odd. The room had 2 double beds, nice bathroom and a nice kitchenetter which was great. My coffee machine was broken and never got fixed even though I called about it on the day I arrived but there is a Starbucks on every corner so it was easy enough to find a coffee. I didnt eat in the hotel as I did my own breakfast and was out until late evening every day. For supplies for your little kitchen (if you want them) there is a Safeway on Corcoran Ave just around the corner of the hotel or a really nice Wholefoods within walking distance. I used the metro everyday even though the Q street entrance to the Dupont Circle stop is the most terrifying escaltor I have ever seen but there is a lift. The metro is very accessible.

Overall very happy with my stay and would recommend it to other travellers. Good location, loved the small kitchen and comfortable beds. Downsides are windows that wouldnt open, broken appliance that wasnt fixed and noisy neighbours and cleaners. Cleaners were very loud in the morning even though I had my do not disturb sign on my door. You could also hear conversations and cooking from the rooms next door but no parties or anything. Bring earplugs

Personally I also found the Welcome Home gesture every evening irritating but thats just me :)

Room Tip: ask for a room with windows that open bring earplugs
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Hello Nicearbhaill - Thank you for being an active member of the TripAdvisor community! While we strive to do our best I apologize that we feel short on service during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to post & we review each and every post with our team. Feel free to call me directly to help make your next stay a great one - David Trezevant, Resident Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The rooms have kitchen facilities which was nice, it is a short walk to Dupont cirlce where you can either use the Metro or get on the hop on hop off buses. The Cherry blossom have just started to flower, it is a beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear MonanMatt, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for choosing us!
Washington DC is truly a very beautiful city during the Cherry Blossom season! We look forward to seeing you in the future! sincerely, David Trezevant, Resident Manager