“Quiet location but just a short walk away...”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #48 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 3 male adults, travelling to watch NFL and MLB sports fixtures for the weekend. We chose not to hire a car, instead walking everywhere. The centre of Du Pont circle was nice and close yet far enough for the hotel to be situated in a pleasant, quiet location. We walked into the City in order to eat & see the sights and found this very easy but then we do enjoy walking. The hotel staff were very nice, helpful and accommodating. One criticism, our 'suite' had one toilet. Fine for a couple but 3 male adults would have benefitted from an additional wc. The bathroom was small but we did not live in there. The main room was spacious, the kitchen area more than adequate.
Being the location of my favourite NFL team, it is highly likely that I will return. This hotel would definitely be my first choice again.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Quiet_n_Warm
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Good afternoon Quiet_n_Warm,
Thank you so much for your five stars review, and the mention of our friendly staff.
We are happy you enjoyed your sports time in Washington, DC.
We look forward to seeing soon!
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Carlyle is a very nice place for 3 stars. I would think it was more than 3 stars. Very nice and clean. Staff is very friendly. David one of the Managers was very helpful in giving us details of restaurants and places to go around town. Staff was also very helpful with parking although it was very limited. This hotel is in walking distance to the Big Bus Tour stop and walking distance to restaurants. Check in/out was very fast and easy. We booked a double queen bed room because it was cheaper, but they kindly upgraded us for free to the King Bed suite. It had a tempur-pedic bed! I loved our suite, it was perfect! This was definitely a great price for what we received. You'd think it would be more expensive for the quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Parking is a nightmare in this area-no fault of the hotel. Parking decks are all valet style. When you pull into one, be ready to hand over your keys and everything in your car to the valet. You can park on the street at night if you can find a place. Be gone by 9am (or 7 if you are in diplomat parking - oops --$30). Thought I was being smart. Fail.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Me and my friends stayed here during one of the most busiest times in Washington D.C. Over 40,000 people were attending a convention and it was very hectic. The staff did a great job at making sure the guests were comfortable and check in and check out were smooth. Of course it wasn't perfect, but I think the staff made up for it by being friendly, courteous and they remained smiling through all of it. Even the bellhops were helpful with luggage and hailing cabs for us. I would definitely stay here again. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were nice.

Room Tip: We had a room at the far end of the hall. It was very peaceful and quiet, not street noise and no h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Not fancy, but good for our purposes and we'll probably stay here again. Be warned that "suite" does not mean 2 rooms, which, again was fine for our purposes, but if you're expected separate rooms, you won't find it in the "grand suites."

PROS: The location of this hotel cannot be beat. 2 blocks from Dupont Circle, close to the metro. It's on a quiet residential block so it feels more like you're a local than a visitor when you walk out the door. Quiet at night, too (at least on our floor -- the top floor). Staff was friendly and very helpful in switching our room to a higher floor. Room was quite spacious (we got the King grand suite with sleeper sofa). We liked having the kitchen area and table for 4. Very comfortable beds (they're all tempurpedic, which it turns out we liked a lot).

CONS: Beds were spotlessly clean, but the rest of the room relatively clean but not spotless. Bathroom was tiny though functional. Could use more outlets near the bed. Picture of the grande suite w/sleeper sofa was accurate, but the room was not bright & airy like the photo. Personally, I didn't like the stucco walls. Lobby isn't particularly fancy (not an issue for us).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NYCFI
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at the Carlyle Suites this month. As a frequent traveler, and frequent reviewer, I often write and read reviews here at Trip Advisor. This time, I was in a hurry and read reviews quickly but didn't bother to read individual reviews by visitors to this hotel. I was surprised to find out, after an 8 hour drive to get there, that they had no more parking. I found out that parking was on a first come/first serve basis. We arrived in the evening and found out there was no parking. I went in and told them I would have to cancel. A surly employee at the front desk notified me that I had a non-refundable hotel (which I had paid in full on Hotels.com). After a few minutes of arguing about wether or not I could really cancel my reservation, the manager Simon came over and said he would solve the problem. He moved his car and gave us his parking space! The second issue was that the king bed we had paid for was no longer available and they only had doubles. After another cranky moment (remember, I had been in a car for 8 hours) along came Simon and waving his magic wand, we got our king bed. After these two incidents, our stay was wonderful. The hotel is really wonderful. Our room was large and light and well appointed. The neighborhood was great and the hotel is a short walk to many restaurants and a nearby metro stop. I would highly recommend staying here. I know that I will go back.

Room Tip: We had a large room with a kitchenette which is great if you're going to eat some meals in the r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sympatica_RI
Reviewed 10 July 2013

What a great treat to stay at such a warm inviting hotel with such great style. The rooms are clean and inviting as well as the staff. The staff is extremely helpful and a great place to look forward to returning due to being such a pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms were a great value great family vacation, equipped with a kitchen and family friendly.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family