“Great place, well located”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Antwerpen
“Great place, well located”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for three nights to visit Washington. The hotel is centrally situated near Dupont Circle and about 2 km from the White House and surroundings. Supermarkets, breakfast choices, all close by.
Upon arrival there was some misunderstanding about the valet parking for which conditions had changed recently. However, solved in no time when they learned we had booked before a certain date.
Nice and personal reception. Whenever you left or entered the office there would always be a greeting of some sort.
Rooms are ok, plain, decoration not really inspiring. All ammenities present. Definitely a place to recommend when staying in Washington

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antwerpengl
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hello Antwerpengl,
I’m so glad your parking issue was resolved promptly with no hesitation. Our Valet started on July 15th and every reservation made before July 15th, we pay for the Valet parking. We thank you for taking the time to write this review, we know we will see you soon!
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What can i say that hasn't already been said. Hotel is in a great location. Interior is very dated. Staff were helpful and polite. Rooms were smaller than is shown in the photos on the website and not particularly clean. Room was slightly smelly and found a pair of dirty socks when we opened the sofa bed and had to get the main bedsheets changed as they were not clean. Hotel is not as flash as made out on the website. Booked on booking.com, room showed that the sofa bed was in another room. As the 3 of us were traveling we were hoping for that privacy. Sofa bed is in the same room as the main bed and that area itself is quite small. Valet parking exists but expensive. I parked my car down the road at central parking for 25 a night. As public transport is great in DC I didn't need it the whole time so just left it there for 5 nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RJ_aus
Dear RJ_aus,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Carlyle with others. We shared your comments about the sofa bed with our housekeeping department. These comments are so useful to us, because they help us to better serve you in the future. We hope to see you again to make this right for you!

Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this hotel based on reviews from trip advisor and the rate special they had was a very nice incentive. The hotel was in an excellent neighborhood with a pleasant 5 minute walk to the metro. The room was clean and large - the view was not great, but for the amount of time I spent at the window it really did not matter. They had a great breakfast buffet every day that was worth the money and very convenient. The staff was very cordial! I loved the old art deco style to the hotel - it truly met all my expecations - will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bepc10
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Good Morning bepc10,
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We shared your compliments with food and beverage, and our housekeeping department that is just amazingly great, and making sure these rooms stay clean.
We can’t wait to see you back!
Best Wishes!
Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed here for five days in July with our two children. It was our home base for walking excursions to The Mall every day we were there (about 20 minutes away by foot). I think the place used to be apartment buildings as there is a kitchenette in every room. You could save some money by cooking your own meals in your room. Everything but the food is provided for you to cook, and there is a Safeway right around the corner should you go that route. The beds were very comfortable, though the mattresses squeak if you sit on the corners of them. The room was cleaned well every day, and the service (extra towels, free upgrade) was good. Every afternoon, when we came back in from walking the city, someone at the front desk would say "Welcome home!" The only issue we had with this place was that the wifi didn't work well or at all. We could never get it in our room, and usually could go to the small lobby to get it. But two of the days there, it totally didn't work. The price was good for a 3.5 star place in DC, though for us Colorado people, it was a bit steep. We did get it for less on a website that allows you to book before seeing the name.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, you may want to ask for a room that is more in the center of the hotel than toward...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank teachcolorado
Hello Teachcolorado,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Carlyle Suites. Yes, you are right! One of the values of our rooms is the kitchenette that allows family like yours to take advantage of the multiple convenient and groceries stores that the neighborhood offers.
As of the WiFi issue, it has been completely resolved.
We look forward to seeing soon!
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived about two hours before the listed check-in time (3 pm). We thought that wouldn't be a problem since they had already told me earlier on the phone that our room would be ready for us by then, but when we arrived, the receptionist told us that we would have to wait for another three hours! It was very annoying, especially because our trip from Dulles International to the hotel had been very long and tiring.
Also, there were a couple of mosquitoes in the elevators, which forced us to sort of dance around every time we went up to our room.
The bathroom was very clean, which we really appreciated. The bed was another story. When we first arrived, there was brown stuff all over one of the pillows. There was also this stain at the foot of the bed. It was very gross. The service was pretty average. Everyone was polite, but we didn't feel particularly welcomed. Overall, a very average experience.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Melissa P
Dear Melissa P,
I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations during your last visit in our hotel. We are into providing excellent service to each and every one that visits our hotel. It seems like we missed you on our radar. I would like to make this up to you, so please send me an e-mail at sattagba@carlylesuites.com so I can personally take care of your next reservation.
My Sincerest Apologies! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I' am sick and tired of reading the incorrect information supplied by the hotel front officer manager and his responses to other reviews on Tripadvisor. So lets set the record straight. I stayed at this hotel in July 2013 during the week and not on a weekend. I stayed for three days/ two nights. There was NO INTERNET then either. I too was unable to conduct valuable business overseas during the evening. I went to the front office three times and was not offered any alternative. There was no temporary measure put in place as stated by the hotel front office manager in his response to other honest Tripadvisor reviews. In fact one employee tried to tell me it was working only to eventually admit it wasn't. I was not offered any solution despite this costing me valuable business. I only determined to stay at this hotel because it stated it had WIFI. Clearly it failed to provide a service that it claimed to have. In relation to the rooms, I decided not to open my curtains because the one time I did, I observed exactly 49 windows looking back at me with direct ability to see inside my room, of course this is not important if privacy does not concern you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank aussiedarren
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear aussiedarren,
Please receive my deep apologies regarding the Wifi issue we were having. I totally understand how you were affected by lack of connectivity during your stay. The issue has been resolved as of 08/08/13 and Wifi is completely restored. I know you are a frequent traveler to Washington DC. Please give me a call at 202-234-3200 so we can discuss further on your next visit to Washington DC.
My Sincerest Apologies, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Carlyle Suites is a nice hotel due mainly to location...three blocks from Dupont Circle and a variety of great restaurants along with Metro station...15-20 minute walk from White House...room was spacious although quite dark...not enough lighting to easily read ...so other than being a dated facility, it was a good choice because of location on a shady residental street...the only negative would be a lack of a fitness center and a business center...the front desk provides a laptop to print airline boarding passes and it was not working ...if you have a car, you will need to rely on valet service or take your chances with 'street' parking not dissimilar to most DC hotels...Sunday brunch is available in a nice atmosphere @$33 per person...I'd definiltey go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Davidfromllinois
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear david k,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a four stars review, you are absolutely right about the “nice atmosphere” of our fabulous Sunday brunch, I believe everyone should try it out!
We look forward to seeing you soon! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager