“wonderful hotel, wonderful location”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #52 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Keyport, New Jersey
“wonderful hotel, wonderful location”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Wonderful 3 night stay over Thanksgiving. 3 adults, a 9 year old and a dog; we highly recommend Carlyle Suites. Kevan, Michelle and Simon, at the front desk gave warm greetings and helpful advice, the valets who took care of the car were as nice as could be. Room was very comfortable, clean and ample space for us all. Located in the Embassy Row neighborhood, with a nice dog park a block away. Perfect for a sight-seeing adventure in DC. Just a few blocks to the metro. I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hello Bette S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful 3 nights stay at the Carlyle with others. We also thank you for pointing out Michelle, Kevan and Simon for their warm welcome, this is how we want all of our guests to feel when their arrive at the hotel and it's just a pleasure to hear that we met this goal with you.
We can't wait to welcome you back!
Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'm hesitant to share how great the Carlyle is for fear of it becoming too booked up for me to stay there again. But this place deserves to be thoroughly praised.
I stay in DC for extended periods of up to two weeks. I feel at home every time I return to this hotel.
Nothing comes close to the quality for price of the Carlyle. The staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful. I'm especially impressed with the desk staff Medcombo, Bernadette and Simon the manger. All of them are always warm, helpful and patient.
The rooms are spacious, clean and are equipped with a new and fully functioning kitchen (with complete set of cookware!) for a super-reasonable price.
Great breakfast buffett, and dinner restaurant.
The location rocks.
And it has two amazing extras that I've never seen elsewhere!: There's coin-op washers and dryers in the basement and your room includes free day passes to Washington Sports Club Gym. Many hotels have a small sparsely equipped gym available, but Carlyle gives you access to an outstanding world-class gym a few blocks away.
I love this place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello Allen S,
Thank you so much for the five stars, I am so happy to hear that you love our hotel. Surely you are guaranteed a space any time you are coming back to DC. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need any assistance to book your room.
See you soon! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Santa Clarita, CA
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Excellent 2 night stay. Tempur-pedic bed, nice big screen TV at the foot of the bed (where it should be), good shower, adequate closet and stocked kitchenette. Small bath sink counter but there is a dressing counter in a seperate closet area. Good lighting for reading in bed. Kitchen came with fridge, microwave, Keurig coffemaker and even had a cooktop. The front desk boys were hilarious and sent us to a very nice restaurant just blocks away (Rosemary's Thyme). Located in a beautiful neighborhood surrounded by foreign embassies. Dupont Circle, subway just blocks away, just a $2 ride to the National Mall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Hello gngofscv,
We are very happy to hear that your two nights stay with us were excellent. This is what we thrive for and it feels good to know that we met this goal with you. You are absolutely right about the boys at the front desk, they love what they do, and do it with fun. We thank you for taking the time to write this five stars review and we know we will see you again!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I just returned from a six-day stay at the Carlyle Suites, and I have nothing but good things to say about this charming hotel. It's in a leafy, safe residential area just off DuPont Circle, about a ten-minute walk to the Metro. I never felt uncomfortable walking alone in the area, even at night. And you come home to a clean, comfortable hotel where the staff is always courteous and helpful. Every member of the staff, from housekeepers to managers, greeted me and welcomed me each time we met. Anything I asked for (use of a laptop computer, directions to various places) was provided instantly and with a smile. Whoever trains this staff knows good service.

My room was large and attractive, with a sitting area and a full kitchen where I prepared my breakfast. The bath was small but functional, and there were plenty of fluffy white towels. The beds were very comfortable and my seventh-floor room was quiet, even in the mornings, because that well-trained staff knows how to move through the halls without disturbing guests.

By booking in advance on the hotel website, I got a really good rate for DC. I recommend the Carlyle Suites highly, and I will definitely stay there again. Thanks to the manager and the staff for a lovely stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Broadwaytraveler,
We thank you so much for all these good things you had to say about us. It's feels great to hear that we are on top of the service expected by our guests. As you mentioned, everyone is involved in making the guest service our priority number one and we are so happy that we met this goal with you.
Thank you for the five stars and we can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington DC.
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Traveled to DC this fall for a family trip with our two teenagers. The Carlyle came recommended by a family member who lives in the area. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the DuPont Circle metro and just a couple of blocks from several restaurants and a market. Our room was VERY quiet and clean!! The little kitchen came in handy and we used it a lot more than we thought we would! We didn't partake in the breakfast option but I did stop down one day to grab an expresso and the food looked good. The hotel is incredibly charming and settled in a bustling residential neighborhood. Great spot for families or couples! The staff was friendly and helpful and ever present in the lobby. Our car was valet parked for us and I believe that other reviewers have commented on that so I won't waste your time. We never used our car while on this trip so we just turned it over when we got there and had it brought around when we left 5 days later. This hotel was a good value for the location and city. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear achristemn,
Thank you so much for your great comments and also for recommending our hotel to others.
You are absolutely right! the location and the staff are just great values for us. We are very lucky to have team members that understand how guests like to feel when staying in hotels and thrive to providing this type of service. The house ladies do an incredible job to keep the hotel clean every day and we are happy you acknowledged their effort. We know we will see again very soon.
Please send me an e-mail when you are coming back so that I can personally say hello to you.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife, three kids (12, 10 & 6 years of age) and I have just returned from a fabulous short vacation in DC. We based ourselves for three nights in a suite in this superb hotel and would recommend without hesitation to any prospective travellers to Washington DC. It's within walking distance of all major sites, even with small children, and the metro. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Overall my report card for this hotel is 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Don't forget to print a map that shows the direction from the metro station to the hotel. The di...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vincent1867
Hello Vincent1867,
We thank you so much for taking the time to share your superb experience with the TripAdvisor community, this is the way we want our guests to feel when they return from their visit and we are so glad we met this goal with you. Please send me an e-mail next time you are coming back to DC, I would like to meet your kids and have something special for them.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The reception staff Bernadette is very nice. Althought I only spent one night there, I love the kitchen of the room. I could cook food for my kid. And the neighborhoods are exerlent. There are embassies nearby, it's very worthy to walk around and have a tour there.

Room Tip: If you want to cook yourself, choose this hotel. And there are embassies nearby, it's very worth...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear abbywxy,
We are very glad to hear that you had a very good stay with us although you spent only one night. Bernadette was happy to see her name mentioned as the star among all the staff members you have encountered. It was a pleasure for us to meet your expectations and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington DC.

Sincerely, Simon Attagba Front Office Manager